Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

Does your family support your decision to diet?

Mine doesnt... IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY.... I know I have written topics like this before but I want to know if I am the only one with a family who refuses to see your side of things.........

My mother and I got into a huge fight yesterday because she "cant stand the way I eat". Even though a DOCTOR told me to stop eating wheat and dairy my mother refuses to believe that I have bad reactions to it. She thinks I am making it all up!! So you can imagine how frustrated I get... I cook my OWN meals everyday and sometimes I cook for my family too. And then my mom gets mad cause my food is weird and is making the house smelll weird.... or she cant stand looking at it or blah blah blah blah

"Why cant you eat normal?? There is something mentally wrong with you!! You need to go on medication to balance out whatever chemical imbalance you have in your brain that is making you like this! You are obsessed!" This is what she was yelling at me yesterday. And I told her the shut the hell up cause she has no clue what she is talking about. I CANNOT believe how unsupportive she is... I dont even feel like she is my mother sometimes because I cant stand the way she thinks. She REFUSES to believe anything different than her opinion and she will never budge. I JUST want to move out so bad but I cant afford it right now. :( DO any of YOU have anyone in your life like this?? I get SO frustrated I just break down and cry. I wish you guys could all come to my house and help me with my arguments. :(

no they don't, there diet is centered around bread, it is annoying but they are more upset about how much i spend for the alternatives, we are getting ripped off!

print out a low glycemic acne study from the internet. also print out a wheat allergy study.

Show it to her, look her in the eyes, and let her understand. The best proof is also your skin.... If it isn't improving, she'll think its bullshit.

does sound weird but she just sounds upset about something else. maybe a doctors note she might believe.

Bah my family doesn't support me either. So I basically try to eat as healthy as I can get away with.

Same here. I severely lack family support,lol. My mom understands why I do it and doesn't get mad because when I come home from college on weekends I eat all the vegetables they have left over in their fridge that no one there wants to eat. I eat meat and vegetables with the occasional fruit here and there and my skin has a school girl crush on this particular diet. The only thing my mom is upset about is the fact that She thinks I should be at least eating brown rice or oatmeal. You have to tell them that whatever they want to put in their body is fine and you don't say anything about it so why should they. Its your life, and if your skin does obviously get better over the course of time then that should be some indication that perhaps you are doing something right by eating the way you do. Its frustrating for people who have been feed the food pyramid for the last several decades and who cannot fathom a life without bread as it is so the staple of the western diet, and all the crappy junk food that we have now- would be crazy syle abnormal about 150 years ago, but is considered normal now. Shoot, I'd eat my right arm if it meant I could have clear skin for the rest of my life- As that guy above me wrote- its your body, what you choose to feed it is your choice and as huffy puffy as your mom or others get about your eating habits, in the end you just have to go with what you think is right.

Mine doesnt... IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY.... I know I have written topics like this before but I want to know if I am the only one with a family who refuses to see your side of things.........

My mother and I got into a huge fight yesterday because she "cant stand the way I eat". Even though a DOCTOR told me to stop eating wheat and dairy my mother refuses to believe that I have bad reactions to it. She thinks I am making it all up!! So you can imagine how frustrated I get... I cook my OWN meals everyday and sometimes I cook for my family too. And then my mom gets mad cause my food is weird and is making the house smelll weird.... or she cant stand looking at it or blah blah blah blah

"Why cant you eat normal?? There is something mentally wrong with you!! You need to go on medication to balance out whatever chemical imbalance you have in your brain that is making you like this! You are obsessed!" This is what she was yelling at me yesterday. And I told her the shut the hell up cause she has no clue what she is talking about. I CANNOT believe how unsupportive she is... I dont even feel like she is my mother sometimes because I cant stand the way she thinks. She REFUSES to believe anything different than her opinion and she will never budge. I JUST want to move out so bad but I cant afford it right now. :( DO any of YOU have anyone in your life like this?? I get SO frustrated I just break down and cry. I wish you guys could all come to my house and help me with my arguments. :(

You have to think about where some people are coming from. They spent most of their life with the same diet patterns they were raised off. Obviously when people become self sufficient they change some things, but for the most part Americans have a trash diet. There is no natural foods, no vegetables, no fruit, nothing good for you! Some people eat a bran muffin in the morning thinking its good for you! Which it most def is not, an egg mcmuffin has les calories than a bran muffin from starbucks.

After spending 20 years or more eating the same crap, people just dont change, and anything but their way is not the 'right' way. My mom for instance, never really ate too horribly, but she didnt eat the things she was supposed to. Four months ago she was diagnosed with diverticulitus, which for the most part, is from not eating the right things. Now she changed her diet, and eats the same things i do, which are healthy.

Some people never change, and their thinking is flawed. For this reason, is why 90% of people only make 10% of the money, and 10% of people make 90% of the money. People think going to work everyday until your 65, retiring with a pension and social security is life... haha not in my eyes. But the same thing applys to diet, people dont want change, because they are scared to leave the comfort zone of what they are doing.

Anyways... sometimes you just have to know you are right, and leave it at that. Just press on without anybody else's support, it makes you stronger in the end. I get very upset about peope and shitty diets, but then again, its their body, their life... just dont complain when you have heart disease, diabeates, a stroke or any of the other chronic diseases that most americans have. GO MCDONALDS!

My family is not supportive of how far I've taken this diet. They supported the no sugar and no wheat days. I don't even mention that I can't eat fruit now after seeing their reaction to my not eating grains, legumes, or dairy. They seem upset or jealous at my weight loss that started when I gave up sugar several years ago. They encourage me to eat dessert when we go out. Food is their whole social life as it is for most Americans. Every time I break out from breaking my diet, it gives me more belief in eating the right way. You shouldn't even argue with your mom about it, let your skin speak for itself. I can't believe that anyone thinks acne isn't triggered by diet. Even hormonal acne is exacerbated by food.

@ tdot: actually your mother sounds like the one with a "chemical imbalance" in her brain... very narrow minded. Must be very hard, but I think its best to stay calm and keep trying to explain to her the effect of diet/lifestyle on skin and health...

my parents see that my diet changes have reduced my acne with over 50% and they have an open mind for this alternative stuff... well my mom has, my dad is a bit stubborn :P but present them with facts that cant be ignored... like indigenous people have none of the Western diseases we have etc...

Same here. I severely lack family support,lol. My mom understands why I do it and doesn't get mad because when I come home from college on weekends I eat all the vegetables they have left over in their fridge that no one there wants to eat. I eat meat and vegetables with the occasional fruit here and there and my skin has a school girl crush on this particular diet. The only thing my mom is upset about is the fact that She thinks I should be at least eating brown rice or oatmeal. You have to tell them that whatever they want to put in their body is fine and you don't say anything about it so why should they. Its your life, and if your skin does obviously get better over the course of time then that should be some indication that perhaps you are doing something right by eating the way you do. Its frustrating for people who have been feed the food pyramid for the last several decades and who cannot fathom a life without bread as it is so the staple of the western diet, and all the crappy junk food that we have now- would be crazy syle abnormal about 150 years ago, but is considered normal now. Shoot, I'd eat my right arm if it meant I could have clear skin for the rest of my life- As that guy above me wrote- its your body, what you choose to feed it is your choice and as huffy puffy as your mom or others get about your eating habits, in the end you just have to go with what you think is right.

Thanks for all the replies guys! It makes me feel a bit better that some of you have the same issues as me... we really shouldnt have to deal with it though. I am glad that all of you have found out that food CAN be a trigger when it comes to acne... I cant imagine being back in the day (having acne in like the 70s or 80s) and people REALLY thinking your nuts for thinking diet can cause acne haha. I guess I should be thankful that there ARE so many people out there who think the same way I do.... :).

Thanks guys.

yeah i get it some what the same. i makes me so angry to. its so unbelievably selfish of them, when all your doing is trying your best sort out a problem in your life. it doesn't impact them at all what you eat yet they feel they should be able to tell you what you put in your body. grrrr. angry. what sort of parents shout at their kids for trying to be healthy.

Yes, my dad gets mad when I tell him I will not buy yogurt at the grocery store or milk. I do buy ice cream just because I like the taste and I find it comforting. However, it does make me sick to my stomach and sometimes it gives me diarrhea. I believe Im lactose intolerant. In fact, whenever we go grocery shopping together (yes I dont drive) he goes, "Just buy the damn milk!" I said, "No, Im allergic to it. It gives me stomach aches and makes me break out in even more and bigger pimples" He goes, "I dont believe you. Its in your head" This is not in my head! It happens everytime I consume dairy. I know how you feel tdot in regards to that. This is not psychological like something is wrong with our brain. Lactose intolerance does exist. As hard as it is because we value our parents opinions, we need to sometimes ignore some of what they say because what they say isnt always accurate and they can be ignorant about certain issues (thinking you can consume dairy and that you dont have a problem for example). You do not need something to balance out your brain; that is a perfectly normal reaction. If you find you get sick everytime you consume dairy, its smart to eat it in moderation or not at all. You are doing the right and intelligent thing. That doesnt mean "you eat weird."

They don't support me either. They make faces at me when I drink my green smoothies or bring home "hippie food", or when I take my daily supplements throughout the day they say I'm going to "end up poisoning myself" :rolleyes: I've tried printing out info, but they just stand there looking at it with furrowed brows and say "well I don't know" and I say "exactly, you don't know so keep quiet" :lol: Even if they think I'm just being weird, they've been sick about a dozen times in the past year and the last time I was even remotely sick was 2 years ago while they wonder how it's possible, so who's the weird one now? :D

All I can suggest is move out of the house when you get older. I am 21 and live at home and have to deal with that shit all the time (my mother still makes the dinner). It is very hard to not be considered ungrateful and rude and also get them to understand.

Mine try to help, and my mom says I'm more critical of myself when I eat bad. I've just seen how my skin looks at dairy free, wheat free, sugar free, and restricted carbs, and I liked it... gotta get it back...

All I can suggest is move out of the house when you get older. I am 21 and live at home and have to deal with that shit all the time (my mother still makes the dinner). It is very hard to not be considered ungrateful and rude and also get them to understand.

Oh my god you are screaming my song Tdot. Apparently all my cautious actions that are geared by scientific scrutiny are "obsessive". I will soon print off a copy of my sources and shove it down her throat and then chuckle demonically after I make her look like a dumbass. That's my joy in life.

I wonder way too often what I would have looked like and how I would have felt if I would have been brought up in some tribe in some far away country, where they still eat healthily and the earth is not contamined, and where the tribe members know how to use the plants and foods to treat illnesses.... quite different I think, might have had some decorative scars to show that I was member of the tribe, but no acne scars.......

People are just stupid. If someone sees a dog with his fur in a bad condition, the first comment is likely to be "You need to give him some kind of vitamins, change his diet and get him to do more exercise" However, if a person has acne it´s suddenly "all in your head", or even if you had it for ten years "a temporal teenage thing". I have always been experimenting with foods, and always tried to eat healthy, and my family never has reacted bad to it, until now, when my diet is high fat, high meat and low carb. The only ones who think I´m somewhat clever are my grandparents who eat lots of fat. I moved out when I was 15 so my parents haven´t affected me that much, although it would be nice with some support, if you can´t get that, then what good can your family give you?

My parents understand why I eat the way I do and have seen me transform my health. They even buy me ribeyes sometimes during the weekends. :wub: