Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just thought I'd post some positive results. I'm 45 with acne history since 13. Treatment included 4 rounds of accutane, antibiotics, retin a, bp, you name it. Accutane was the only thing to give me perfect skin but after a year the acne/oily skin would return. Until now.

At treatment outset, I had mild moderate acne w. 2-4 sm-med whiteheads per day. Always healing and emerging. Rarely had no active lesions. I was on 75 mg spiro w. erythromycin for 6 months. Oil reduced to very little with 2-4 zits/week.

At 6 months, increased to 150 mg/day. At 8 months, my skin is BEATUIFUL. I use bareminerals and apply powder maybe twice/day. People have randomly told me I looked beautiful (friend wondered if I'd had plastic surgery).

Anyway, guys there's hope. If not totally clear, this stuff will improve most people dramatically. I still get a tiny zit occasionally. So what???

Good luck!!!!!

I still take 100 mg/day erythromycin (50mg am, 50mg pm). I've been on it for years. I was still breaking out 4-5 small ones per day with erythromycin, tazorac (like retin A) and 2.5% BP. That seemed like the best I could do.

Antibiotics seem like a good idea for people starting spiro. Evidently, in the first few months, acne can actually increase. This is anecdotal evidence but enough people on this board have reported it. Mine cycled better to worse for several months but SLOWLY got significantly better. Oil reduced almost immediately. I've only been 100% clear for about a month.

Hey tcjetsetter,

what happened between the 6-month and 8-month mark? Did you wake up one day and your skin was clear? Did you see constant improvement when you upgraded to 150mg? (I am currently on 200mg)

I feel and think like a broken record because I have now been on spiro for 6 months and it's been a constant up and down with my acne. If it takes 8 months, then I'll give it 8 months!! :)

I seemed to have stabilized @ 1-2 small blemishes/week using 75mg/day after 6 months. My nose was still slightly oily. Not perfect skin, but much better. After about a month at 150mg I was completely clear. I've had one SMALL blemish in month 8. From what I've read, this stuff is dosage dependent so for complete clearing you keep upping the doage til you hit the 200mg ceiling or get clear. Having said that, it takes TIME. A couple of studies indicate you don't see final results until as much as a year out. Even starting out at higher dosages, results may be as much time dependent as dosage.

I'm still taking the erythromycin, using bp and tazorac as preventive meds. That's a small price to pay for clear skin.

Everyone won't see complete clearing, but if this stuff can do it for me (lifetime of recalcitrant acne) I'd think it will work for most people given enough time and addnl skin care.

Good luck and be patient.

TCJETSETTER: thanks for your posts- they make me hopeful. i am on my first month of spiro and suffering terrible breakouts. i was wondering: did you start spiro and the erythromycin together or did you just start the antibiotic after you experienced an initial breakout. i am waiting for my derm. to call me back because I want to ask her to put me on an antibiotic to help get me throug the beginning months-- my skin really has gotten worse. did you experience an initial worsening like this? the the antibiotic help a lot? thanks!

Hey

Wow - never even heard of Spironolactone. Just did a tiny bit of research and it sounds amazing, there not alot of info on it though compared to other acne treatments like Dianette.

What exactly does it do? Also do you have to have severe acne to be prescribed it and can your doctor prescribe as well as a derm? I've just started Dianette for the second time and am looking for alternative treatment if this doesnt work x

Yeah, Spiro is great. It acts in two ways. First, it blocks testosterone receptors (without decreasing the amount of testosterone circulating in your system). This, in turn, reduces the amount of sebum produced.

Secondly, it inhibits comedone formation in the skin. (I'm not sure of the exact mechanism)

The original use was as a diuretic.

It's first off-label use was for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) which gives you high levels of testestosterone and abnormally high hair growth and acne. The success in treating women over 35 with acne got some attention. Now, Derm's have been prescribing it "off label" for what 10 years or more? They've found it works for women who may not even have elevated levels of testosterone but have sensitive receptors. You can read the studies, but most women will benefit significantly.

Having said that, it takes a long time to work and doesn't change the nature of your skin other than making it not oily and reducing/eliminating existing acne. You'll always have to deal with exfoliating and maybe bp, etc. I'd doubt if anyone but a derm or endocrinologist will prescribe it. It is still off-label. The drug was ORIGINALLY used as a diuretic. The anti-androgen properties were a side effect.

Good luck!!!

Yeah, Spiro is great. It acts in two ways. First, it blocks testosterone receptors (without decreasing the amount of testosterone circulating in your system). This, in turn, reduces the amount of sebum produced.

Secondly, it inhibits comedone formation in the skin. (I'm not sure of the exact mechanism)

The original use was as a diuretic.

It's first off-label use was for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) which gives you high levels of testestosterone and abnormally high hair growth and acne. The success in treating women over 35 with acne got some attention. Now, Derm's have been prescribing it "off label" for what 10 years or more? They've found it works for women who may not even have elevated levels of testosterone but have sensitive receptors. You can read the studies, but most women will benefit significantly.

Having said that, it takes a long time to work and doesn't change the nature of your skin other than making it not oily and reducing/eliminating existing acne. You'll always have to deal with exfoliating and maybe bp, etc. I'd doubt if anyone but a derm or endocrinologist will prescribe it. It is still off-label. The drug was ORIGINALLY used as a diuretic. The anti-androgen properties were a side effect.

Good luck!!!

TC-

I have had similar success as you have. I am 38 and have had acne since I was a teen. Nothing I took before ever really worked. I love spiro! I have been on it for almost a year- it took 4 months for improvement, 6 months to get clear.

In your last post you mentioned that spiro doesn't change the nature of your skin. I don't even recognize my skin anymore- it is soft and elastic, never oily. My pores are MUCH smaller. I also use Retin-A, but I think the majority of my results are from sprio. My skin is soft and smoother all over my body.

Oh, and my boobs look FANTASTIC- they have never looked this great! I look like I had a really good boob job!

Spiro has COMPLETELY ELIMINATED my acne!

Cherie

Great that it worked for you too! What I meant by "not changing the nature of your skin" was that unlike accutane, it doesn't eliminate the abnormal cell turnover (skin cells sticking together inside the pore). That's why you should still worry about exfoliating, etc. As you know, it does make your skin much less oily and once the red marks have all healed your skin looks healthy.

Even with antibiotics, bp and tazorac I could only get to 2-4 small whiteheads PER DAY. This drug has been a godsend for me. I don't worry about my skin anymore. Again, good luck!!!