Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vnv

Tanning while actively using AHA/BHA-based products?

I use several alpha-hydroxy and beta-hydroxy-based products--a BHA toner, an AHA lotion for red mark fading, and a salicilic acid-based acne cleanser that contains AHA (though I haven't used this one for several days now). The BHA toner's bottle contains no warnings or information at all about sun exposure, the AHA lotion for red marks suggests using a sunscreen when exposed to the sun (which I do anyway for tanning), and the AHA-containing cleanser not only says this but also says I should limit sun exposure for seven days after last usage of it, though it really doesn't say by how much I should limit exposure.

So I guess my question is, is it safe to tan naturally while using AHA/BHA-based products, as long as I wear adequate sun protection? Do AHA/BHA's make the skin a lot more sensitive?

I use several alpha-hydroxy and beta-hydroxy-based products--a BHA toner, an AHA lotion for red mark fading, and a salicilic acid-based acne cleanser that contains AHA (though I haven't used this one for several days now). The BHA toner's bottle contains no warnings or information at all about sun exposure, the AHA lotion for red marks suggests using a sunscreen when exposed to the sun (which I do anyway for tanning), and the AHA-containing cleanser not only says this but also says I should limit sun exposure for seven days after last usage of it, though it really doesn't say by how much I should limit exposure.

So I guess my question is, is it safe to tan naturally while using AHA/BHA-based products, as long as I wear adequate sun protection? Do AHA/BHA's make the skin a lot more sensitive?

Well "safe" tanning isn't healthy for the skin in the very least. Premature aging is never becoming. Any time you use an acid to exfoliate the surface of the skin you reveal fresher, younger skin cells. This in effect means the UV rays penetrate even deeper and cause more damage. The answer is no, there is no such thing as a "safe" tan. Try a bronzer if you are going for dark...or a blood rite.

Thanks for your advice, though I should have clarified that I'm already familiar with and have accepted the risks associated with tanning in general and what I'm really concerned about here is whether the use of AHA/BHA drastically increases those risks or if any effect they might have is very minor.