Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThatAznKid

Any bio/science majors here?

I'm a second year and lately I've been debating whether i want to change my major or not. Currently, it is CS&E and I absolutely hate it. I hate writing java code sources and everything! Instead, I want to do what I'm most passionate about : skin. In order to go to med school, do you HAVE to be a "BIO" major? I feel like I've wasted all my time into my CS&E classes that if I were to switch to bio that I would be considered a freshman in terms of credit and everything. Sigh.. what should I do. =/

Me! I'm currently a freshman working towards a BioChemistry major, but I really want to get into medical school. You can choose ANY major you want and still get into medical school, there is no single one required. However, the pre-requisite classes required, like a year of Gen Chem and Bio, a year of Organic Chem, some BioChem, and some math courses, generally fit into biology related majors, so many kids choose this path. My advice to you is that if you want to switch, the do it! You will regret it later. If you're worried about being behind, 5 credits a summer would be a good option to help. Have a good one

^ Success is different for everyone.

College is just another path to fulfill a dream.

I'm a second year planning to declare my science major in the Fall :]

College is just a business. Biggest scam in the world if you ask me. Spend thousands of dollars and waste 2-4 years of your life to succumb to a piece of paper that "proves" your intelligence.

Break the mold, spend your tuition and build your own little lab and buy books. Specialize in what interests you. Become a new age doctor, or something. Don't become another pill pushing Doctor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lnBiyeMNVg

Knowledge>Diploma

^ I don't think any of those billionaires went about it by practicing medicine without a license...

Also, you're picking out a few prominent outliers. Obviously the vast, vast majority of people who didn't go to college (or hell, even the ones who did) are not doing nearly as well as those men. If you have an idea you feel very passionately about, have the resources and organization to make your entrepreneurial inklings happen, and possess the business acumen (or hire someone with it) to grow your empire, then by all means, do that. Most people don't. I'm not a natural entrepreneur/sales personality and would have a very difficult time identifying things I can turn into crazy money, let alone actually making it happen.

College is just a business. Biggest scam in the world if you ask me. Spend thousands of dollars and waste 2-4 years of your life to succumb to a piece of paper that "proves" your intelligence.

how old are you man? I'm in the same boat, i have alot of credits for other shit that i just dont want to do. I'm switching to bio/medical now at 22. I dont want to live my life knowing that i had had time to change paths.

I am a sophomore majoring in biological sciences. I'm not sure how the system works in the states but it seems like you are unsure of what you want. If you are taking BIO because you just want to get into medical school, you might want to reconsider because BIO and medical sciences are different.

To see whether you really want to take BIO or not, I suggest you sit in to a few of the biology lectures before you make your decision on the switch- you may want something else instead.