Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CursedSkin

Why are all skin products geared towards women?

its something i just noticed...think about all the skin care commercials youve seen...whos is it most of the time? women....iwhat, guys dont have messed up skin too? hell if anything guys tend to have worse skin! i dunno i just had to vent that out

because generally women do have better skin than men. it's been implentmented into society that way. women are suppose to be all femine and pretty, while men are suppose to be rugged and handsome. Ever noticed how there aren't a whole lot of female construction workers? typically in society men have always done heavy duty labor, while women are doing less physically demanding work. it's just how society goes, also i believe that when people see men with flawless skin and good looking well done hair (and well femine stuff) they are generally associated as gay (something most men don't want to be associated with).

They market these products to women, because they know we'll buy tons of products to look good. We're their biggest target audience, and spend the most dollars on beauty products.

Your average guy doesn't really care what he looks like.

I think this is all starting to change though. There is a trend of men having more plastic surgery, and getting facials, etc. lately.

Pretty soon, they probably will market to Men as well.

Emma

Quite a few of the products used on the board are not for acne and scars only ... but for people wanting to remove wrinkles, photo ageing etc... and women are generally more interested in looking young.

If I did not have acne or scars, there are still many products here which I would buy: puredeming gel, lactic peels etc...

Somehow, most men without a skin problem may not be interested in ageing skin.

The reason that the products are geared towards women is because

a much larger emphasis is placed on women's looks than men's.

Ever see any ugly women in leading movie roles? Women are judged

more on their looks than accomplishments than men are. Therefore,

women spend LOTS of money on looking good and ads just target

them, because that is where the money is at.

its true, men get away with imperfections. it seems like most guys only worry about this stuff if it is severe. most of the products you see advertised are for mild skin problems and age related stuff. men don't worry about age and its effects as much either, we all know that older men are seen as "hansome" while older women are seen as worn out. not fair but we all know that our current social system places a lot of preasure on us all to be attractive. you guys are right though, things are shifting men are more concerned about how they look these days. I wish we all had a healthier veiw about our looks, that whats inside is more impt than what is on the outside, but we don't.

Well I am a guy just turned 28 today and I can't think about anything but my skin.

I wasn't like this until 5 Months ago. I just got over almost a decade of O.C.D. so decided to solve some moderate skin issues. It all went haywired and so now I am 24/7 worried about it.

I guess when i didn't have much of a problem I didn't care. Also I never really cared much about health or skin in the past and thats why I thought I would start caring now.

heheh, i've got ocd as well. pain in the butt isn't it? Guys care about how they look, although they might not "worry" about it as much as women.

What's OCD? i know i've heard it in the past, but i can't recall what it is... guess it goes along with the whole "don't have it, don't worry about it" thing. i know for sure back when i was younger i didn't do anything to my skin. Even when i first started getting acne i wasn't worried much about it. It wasn't inflamed and hard to notice but once it became worse... that's when i started to care. Now i guess i'm making up for my previous apathy towards my skin.

I think it goes way beyond looks.

Women who are self conscious and coy are considered feminine. The same traits in a man are NOT considerate masculine. Have you ever noticed how a man with impeccable manners is considered effeminate?

The masculine standard is someone who doesn't give a damn what other people think. They go out and do whatever they want and don't think twice about how it is perceived.

Plus, parents are much harder on girls when it comes to social interaction. We are taught to be deferential and polite. Boys are taught to stand up for themselves and not let anyone push them around. Ultimately, I think women are so caught up in trying to figure out what other people think of them and gauging the reactions their actions elicit, we lose sight of what we think of ourselves.

i dont know. ive always cared about how i look, even before acne...i always dress nice and make sure that i look decent everytime i leave the house, even if im just going to the grocery store... i think that there are more guys that care about their looks than you guys think.

Guest Tracy
Why are all skin products geared towards women?

O.C.D. stands for Obessive Compulsive Disorder.

I had an extreme case of it.

So extreme it took me almost 10 years to overcome after strong mind controlling meds.

Its the side effects from abruptly stopping the meds that made me super concerned about my skin which resulted in me being impatient and trying different treatments at once and going for electrolysis when i shouldn't have.

If i never was on the dam Meds in the first place then I never would have been obssesed with my skin when i came off it.

Anways different people have different obsessiveness: mine was fear of Germs/bacteria etc...

The story of my life has been Like falling into one hole I manage to climb outafter much pain/suffering and then only to fall into another deeper hole.