Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay18

severe accutane side effects are not dissapearing

huh..allright. here we go. i decided to take some of my older sisters leftover accutane because my skin sucked. they were 40 mg pills. when i did my own round of accutane, i started on 10 mg, and THEN gradually went up to 40, because my body is tiny. i barely weigh 92 pounds. and im about 5'2. continuing on. i decided that what the hell, 40 mg will clear me up VERY nicely. so i took them for about a month. two weeks into it i started feeling weird. more depressed. more irritated. i ignored it and continued taking them. farther and farther into the month, i got severly anxious. one day i couldnt even walk. i crouched down on my bathroom floor, pupils dilated, my room moving around me, feeling really slow and dizzy. (no i dont do drugs. it was def the accutane) i kept bursting out crying, feeling like i was dying. i started developing panick attacks. then one night i was over my boyfriends house, and i just bursted out crying. i couldnt feel my legs. i began to hyperventilate. i was flipping out, TERRIFIED of everything. i was rushed to the ER. i was put in my psychiatrist's psych unit for a few days. (a psych ward basically. which was the most terrifying experience of my life.) my doctor found out i was on tane and yelled at me saying no more. i agreed. i wanted this all to go away so i could be myself again. originally i had been on lexapro, but i just stopped working for me. after my tane fiasco and my stay at the psych unit, my doctor was switching me around on every drug you can imagine. first, it was luvox. i was OK, but i decided to start taking tane again. im an idiot, i know. then after a few DAYS i got slammed with the most terrifying side effects. horrible panicking, couldnt sleep, crying in the corner, feeling like the world was ending and i was dying. i couldnt go anywhere. i developed this, agoraphobia if you will. i was afraid that anywhere i went i could go crazy in public. i was so scared. she began added mood stabilizers in addition to upping my luvox dosage. she tried rispredal, depokote, and trileptal. to no avail. so i stopped all of those and just stayed on luvox. i was still panicking, terrified of my surroundings. my whole family was stumped. nobody knew what to do. suddenly, i developed slight twitching. i couldnt lay still in my bed at night. my doc gave me even MORE meds. she gave me geodon, for the shaking, and something for my bipolar that i cant remember the name. i flipped out. i started hallucinating next day. the shaking got WORSE. everything was going haywire. i was crying so hard i couldnt breathe. my mom stopped the geodon and the other medicine because she saw how i reacted to it. back to the doc i went. she decided to put me back on lexapro. she also gave me lithium and ativan for the occasional panick attack. i dont want to be like this anymore.. i just want to be myself. behappy. not freak out about waking up in the morning, no more of it. i dont want to have panick attacks and anxiety for the rest of my life. i want to smile and go out in the world and be a regular human being again. im doing slightly better, but the panick and the fear wont dissapear. im running of ideas. i decided to turn to you guys for help. if you guys know of any medicines or treatments that can restore me back to the way i was before, please dont hesitate to reply and let me know. if any of you guys or doctors or know of any doctors in your family or something, please, pass this story on to them and ask them what options i have.... i wouldbe forever grateful. i feel like my psych just isnt helping me at all.

i`m sorry to hear about this. But i dont have any idea how to help you. I hope someone here will be with more knowledge :rolleyes:

Hi,

This all sounds very serious and I am sorry you are having such a tough time of it!

Are you in talk therapy? If not, I would seriously consider bringing it up with your parents or your doctor. My experience with mood-altering drugs has been similar to yours, what with the doc just switching it up constantly. It gets very frustrating and disheartening when that happens!

However, I have had very good experience with seeing a doctor who was giving me one hour of talk therapy a week and was prescribing me meds. I felt like he really knew what I needed since he spent so much time listening to me babble! Then, after I found a drug that helped my anxiety, we started only having meetings once a month... it has been great!

There is another thing to think about here too, and this one is quite hard for minors sometimes, but if you don't like your doctor --don't feel like they listen/care/understand/etc.-- GET A NEW DOCTOR! It is so important to trust and feel comfortable with your doctor, and sometimes it can do more harm than good to see a doctor you don't like (you don't tell them about things because you feel rushed, or you're afraid they'll judge you).

If you really don't like your doc and have a parent who is doing most of the health care management in your life, ask to have a moment to talk to them, sit down, and lay out your feelings about the situation. Ask if there are any options for seeing a different doctor to try.

But seriously, I can't say enough about the importance of talk therapy with the same doctor who is doing mood-altering medication management for you (and this is for anyone talking psych drugs!). They need to know why you are having feelings if they want to help you manage them! It is just so absurd that doctors think that prescribing psych drugs is just a matter of talking for fifteen minutes every time you need a refill!

And finally, to address your question about whether or not side effects go away, there IS HOPE. With a good doctor on your side and good communication with a support system (family and friends), you can feel better.

Best,

Bridget

bridget, what medications are YOU taking? maybe i should try them as well.. i dont know what else to do. talk therapy doesnt make panick attacks go away, you know? its all about balancing chemicals in the brain. i wish there was somekind of brain scan i could do to see what im missing, but my psych never mentioned anything. but i KNOW that there are lab tests you can run for stuff like this.

First thing, don't take any meds that have not been specifically prescribed to you. Not only can your doctor not know what might react with what and how it might effect you, but its really unsafe to do, regardless if you've been on accutane before.

secondly, psychotherapy is not going to "cure" you in just one session. I'm a psych major and therapy does take some time, its not going to happen over night if that is what you were hoping for. If you feel uncomfortable with your doctor, find another one. But dont give up. Or maybe talk therapy isn't going to work for you. there are other types of therapy out there, like art therapy, behavioral therapy, and cognitive therapy among others. And like the therapy, you need to give your meds some time to kick in too. dont give up so fast simply because you are not seeing the results you want right away.

I cannot stress how irresponsible it was to take a medicine not prescribed to you. The reason tane has so many side effects leads to testing before you are prescribed it. It is a cancer treating drug that happens to help with severe acne. Have you read the side effects now on the tane website? I have had panic attacks for 19 years. Biofeedback helped when I needed to be off of my medication so i could have my 2nd child. It does work.

In the meantime never take a drug that has not been prescribed for you. You obviously see the pitfalls of doing so.

Nough said, if I sound like a mother it is becasue I am one. I hope you get the help you need.

I am taking Citalapram (generic Celexa).

Redhead makes a good point about the time factor in many forms of therapy... sometimes it seems that if a problem came on relatively quickly, a cure should get rid of it in a similar time frame. However, that is rarely the case and many treatments take months and even years to return a person to a point where they feel "normal." This is especially true of psychological problems, but have hope -- it can be done!!! I was in therapy for over a year before I really felt anything even approaching normal...

Also, you mentioned wanting a brain scan and it does so happen that there is actually something called a SPEC scan that is similar to what you were describing. Most doctors today agree that it is a very experimental technology that has the potential to teach scientists amazing things about the brain... but today it is not really a well-understood or reliable diagnostic tool. The doctor who has developed it, Daniel G. Amen, claims it *is* reliable for diagnosis, but he is a quack in my book and he charges thousands of dollars for his experimental and non-objectively studied method. A good friend of mine was taken to Dr. Amen for ADHD at the age of 12, and the doctor did the scan and then promptly prescribed him enough Efexor and Depakote to put a small horse into a coma (well, almost), and then only required ONE FOLLOW-UP! That's a pretty poor practice in my book, but with al the Depakote, my friend's parents of course thought he was cured since he was near-catatonic for the overmedication.

Sorry for the tangent, oops!

Best of luck,

Bridget

huh..allright. here we go. i decided to take some of my older sisters leftover accutane because my skin sucked.

huh..allright. here we go. i decided to take some of my older sisters leftover accutane because my skin sucked.

Ok, I'm not even going to read the rest. Don't try to blame Accutane for this. You should never take any prescription medication without supervision of a doctor let a lone Accutane which needs monthly blood tests.

Ok, I'm not even going to read the rest. Don't try to blame Accutane for this. You should never take any prescription medication without supervision of a doctor let a lone Accutane which needs monthly blood tests.

i can see that this damn post of mine is about to turn into a fight. FIRST of all. redhead. ive allready DONE talk therapy and every other type of therapy you can imagine FOR YEARS. dont give me that bs. i posted this so that i could get information on medication that other people are taking. your information is useless. as for the few other people who have given me good and advice, who have ENCOURAGED me to not give up. thank you. i appreciate your patience and appreciate you not bashing me on this website. you people dont know anything about me, so dont be rude. i took it without a prescription because i wanted clear skin. what, you people dont have any clue how that feels? im sure all of you would cut off your damn arm or leg to have a nice complexion. give me a break. i post a topic and i get bashed for it. thats the last time i post something on here.

as for you prznking, i dont need your negativity either. dont wanna read my stuff? then get off my topic page and find someone else to criticize. i'm here for support.

and for your information, mom of an accutane wreck, this wasnt the first time ive been on accutane. dont try to make me look like an idiot. not gonna work.

Word, thats why i don't trust psychiatrist and whatever other doc that prescribes "medicine" for our problems. We aren't supposed to flourish on meds. in a profit based health care system. They need to be preaching prevention. But thats all besides the point.

Anyways, please read my other posts if you like my advice, i have put some solid info in them but whatever, ya dig.

I had acne for about 3 years once i started accutane. My skin was acne on top of acne. Like 5-10 fresh yellow headed futher mukers every morning. Well after the initial breakout of accutane my skin did clear in my last month.

But a few months later, slowly but surely my skin got worse, way worse. Not only was insanely depressed before accutane, it "somehow"(proven side effect of accutane) got worse.

I decided if i wanted to make a difference I'd have to take the initiative.

All change comes from within. Acne will go with time, but your depression won't unless a change takes place. All pain and suffering goes hand in hand with your ego. Your sense of pride, or what you think you want to be.

Your putting to much emphasis on possibly the past, and definitely the future. You may think, Oh well my life will be great once my acne is gone. But your dwelling on something that doesn't exist. The only thing that is exist is the NOW, the current moment your living in.

Thats great news isn't it. That the past no longer exist, and that it in truth should have no effect on your current moment, unless you identify with your ego and let it. So let it be. Let it be. Like the Beatles would sing.

You can let go of your past, let go of your past!!! Live fully and present in the NOW. So roll with the changes of the now, but don't dwell on an imaginary future, or the bad things of the past that doesnt exist.

So why is it that us (you know, the ones who legally take Accutane) have cleared skin and are happy with no bad side effects?

Who say that people who took accutane legally does not suffer from bad side effects? I took accutane legally, I am suffering from hair loss, and there are so many other accutane users that are suffering from other "Bad" side effects like eczema, depression, and diabetes. You might be one of the lucky one but that doesn't mean your success story speaks for everyone.

The one thing that stands out for me is accutane OVERDOSE. You said that when you were on it with a prescription, you were on 10 mg. The unprescribed dose that you took was FOUR TIMES that amount. I'm not trying to chastise you here, just wondering if the problems you're having now are because 40 mg was just way too much for your body to handle. There's a reason why docs prescribe certain dosages to certain people, and different dosages to different people. It could very well be that your body is not equipped to handle 40 mg.

With that being said.... Effexor XR is a very good antidepressant, not sure if it would help you but it's certainly worth asking about. It could possibly treat emotional conditions other than depression, such as anxiety. You might ask! And I agree with those above who say give it time and don't give up on your therapy. It won't go away overnight, but if you fight it long and hard enough, you can beat it!

Oh my god you are screaming my song Tdot. Apparently all my cautious actions that are geared by scientific scrutiny are "obsessive". I will soon print off a copy of my sources and shove it down her throat and then chuckle demonically after I make her look like a dumbass. That's my joy in life.

I am taking Citalapram (generic Celexa).

Redhead makes a good point about the time factor in many forms of therapy... sometimes it seems that if a problem came on relatively quickly, a cure should get rid of it in a similar time frame. However, that is rarely the case and many treatments take months and even years to return a person to a point where they feel "normal." This is especially true of psychological problems, but have hope -- it can be done!!! I was in therapy for over a year before I really felt anything even approaching normal...

Also, you mentioned wanting a brain scan and it does so happen that there is actually something called a SPEC scan that is similar to what you were describing. Most doctors today agree that it is a very experimental technology that has the potential to teach scientists amazing things about the brain... but today it is not really a well-understood or reliable diagnostic tool. The doctor who has developed it, Daniel G. Amen, claims it *is* reliable for diagnosis, but he is a quack in my book and he charges thousands of dollars for his experimental and non-objectively studied method. A good friend of mine was taken to Dr. Amen for ADHD at the age of 12, and the doctor did the scan and then promptly prescribed him enough Efexor and Depakote to put a small horse into a coma (well, almost), and then only required ONE FOLLOW-UP! That's a pretty poor practice in my book, but with al the Depakote, my friend's parents of course thought he was cured since he was near-catatonic for the overmedication.

Sorry for the tangent, oops!

Best of luck,

Bridget

About the dosage thing. Give me a break guys. Derms prescribe high dose accutane like it's candy. I was prescribed 80mg which is a ridiculous amount. I cut my dosage in half and it was still too much for me. Now my derm won't even prescribe me 10mg a day because he thinks I'm allergic or something. Derms don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to this drug. Their totally ignorant about the mental side effects this drug can cause. Then again, how can you really blame them when the research thats out there is piss poor and almost non existant. That's why it's important to start at lower doses, regardless of your weight.

i've been on prozac for depression and now i'm on zoloft cuz i have really bad anxiety. I can relate to the bouts of crying and feeling out of control. I have had panic attacks for a few years but zoloft has really gotten them under control. I didn't have emotions on prozac and went off cuz i hated not being able to react, i just wanted to be normal. I've gone to therpy, which has really helped, and i write in a journal to help get out whatever i'm feeling. Don't EVER take someone elses meds...you have no idea what reaction it could have with other meds, what dose to take, or if you are allergic. Hang in there and know you aren't alone in this battle. :comfort:

Who say that people who took accutane legally does not suffer from bad side effects? I took accutane legally, I am suffering from hair loss, and there are so many other accutane users that are suffering from other "Bad" side effects like eczema, depression, and diabetes. You might be one of the lucky one but that doesn't mean your success story speaks for everyone.

prznking, you are the most ignorant bastard i have ever met. your replies make me laugh. dont you KNOW that not everyone has good results with tane even LEGALLY? i swat your little remarks away like an annoying ass bug. your inconsiderate and obviously not very educated. both my sisters were LEGALLY on tane and were severly depressed and screwed up. allright, smartass?

what does it make a difference whether i take accutane myself or having to walk into a doctors office? every damn month while i was on tane my drug tests were normal. what the hell makes you think they would be different if i started a 40 mg? even my DERM said that starting out at 40 is not dangerous. i told him my story and he said i didnt do anything wrong, but to just make sure of dosage when i start the meds. i know my accutane. dont take me for a damn fool.

prznking is pretty narrowminded when it comes to tane side affects, but he does have a limited point with this one. However if you ere taking the drug the same as a derm would have adminstrated it then you will of probably got these side effects anyway.

The best drugs from post accutane mental side effects are the SSRI family. It is just a matter of finding the right one. Mirtazapine is pretty good aswell i have read. You just need to keep trying different ones until you find one that works for you.

prznking, you are the most ignorant bastard i have ever met. your replies make me laugh. dont you KNOW that not everyone has good results with tane even LEGALLY? i swat your little remarks away like an annoying ass bug. your inconsiderate and obviously not very educated. both my sisters were LEGALLY on tane and were severly depressed and screwed up. allright, smartass?

what does it make a difference whether i take accutane myself or having to walk into a doctors office? every damn month while i was on tane my drug tests were normal. what the hell makes you think they would be different if i started a 40 mg? even my DERM said that starting out at 40 is not dangerous. i told him my story and he said i didnt do anything wrong, but to just make sure of dosage when i start the meds. i know my accutane. dont take me for a damn fool.