Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SouthernGirl

I am so tired of having acne!!!!

I am so so sick of having acne!!! I first started breaking out with it when I was thirteen. Since then, I have tried everything except for accutane and birth control, and none of it has helped. I am 20 now, and my face is starting to scar from it. I would consider what I have to be moderate to severe. While I don't usually have a lot of the cyst type acne, my entire face seems to stay covered with the stuff. And most of the medicines that I have tried seem to make it worse instead of better.

Here is a short listing of some of the things that I have tried.

BP solutions......I have tried both over the counter and prescription. It makes my skin unbearably itchy and turned my face into a flaming red hue the last time that I used it. I think that I am allergic to it. It also made my skin look aged.

Docicycline, and minicycline..........They helped me somewhat when I first started taking them, but then they quit working at all. My skin actually looks worse when I am on them than when I am not. I think that the acne became resistant to them after the first year or so of using them off and on.

clindamicin.....No help at all!

Tazorac..............This stuff is totally terrible! I think that it made my skin look aged. It helped me somewhat after the first month or two of using it. I only cleared slightly for a few weeks then started breaking out again.

Sulfur soap from the health food store.......Ugggg!!! this was a terrible idea!

Salacylic acid solutions.......Out of everything that I have tried, this has been the only one that I liked enough to recommend to someone. It doesn't clear up my acne, but it does help a little without giving me the bad side-effects that most of the others do.

I have also tried all kinds of home remedies and they didn't work either. My acne is a treatment resistant SUPERBUG and I am at a loss about what else to try. Does anyone have any suggestions?

3 words. dan kern's regimen. read all about it before you try and give it an honest try for 3 months. and make sure you're following it correctly! i had persistant acne for years and this has been the ONLY thing that cleared me completely. if you have more questions i'm sure many can help you out, and i will check back here too and try to answer as many as i can. good luck!

I would try a regimen from Paula's choice... they have a lot of anti-irritants and antioxidants to balance out your skin. I have had acne for 5 years now, and just the samples have cleared me up :surprised:

I have read about Dan's regimen, but am I correct that it is using benzoyl peroxide? Every BP solution that I have tried has made my skin really itchy. I have tried just about every brand of bp out there, so I think that I must be allergic to it. I will read up on the regimen again to see if it uses bp.

I have never heard of Paula's choice. That sounds interesting. I will check them out also.

Thanks for the advice!

Dan's regimen does use BP - but in a very low concentration. When you used BP before - what concentration did you use? Did you start off using it every night or did you start off slowly? Lots of people get irritation from products because they start using them too frequently or using too much or too strong of a product. If you start off more gradually, it can help your skin adapt to the product and may cause less irritation. Dan's regimen uses this approach.

You might also consider an topical with azelaic acid - Finacea or Azelex. Its is a good antiinflammatory and kills acne bacteria, unclogs pores.

Well right now, I'm using tretinoin 0.1% and my skin is definetely improving :) It takes time (depending on your skin type) to clear your skin, but it works wonders. At first it clears the skin, then you'll experience a breakout, but after a few weeks your skin is so smooth and clear ;) Try washing your face with Neutrogena Deep Clean Invigoratin Scrub, wait 30 minutes, and then apply a thin layer of tretinoin. The most important thing while using this is patience. After the initial breakout I was about to quit using this, but I decided to give it a little longer, and I'm so glad I did :D

Thanks everyone!

I have tried quite a few BP solutions - both the prescription kind that's mixed with clindamycin, and the over the counter kinds. The last kind that I tried was Neutrogena 2.5% It made my skin extremely itchy and irritated even if I used just a small amount. I thought that maybe my skin needed to get accustomed to it so I used it for about a week. This was not a very smart idea! With each day my face got more and more irritated until I finally couldn't stand using it any longer. :confused: I haven't used anything that contains BP since then.