Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm currently on day 130 of Accutane and still not clear! Before I started taking the drug, I had one or two spots at a time (usually big pustules) that went away in a matter of 3-4 days, but they were very persistent and began to scar; so I went on Accutane. Four months later, still not clear, tons of red marks that don't fade, every pimple I get scars (depressed scarring!). This is getting out of hand! I'd think my face would show some sign of letting up but so far nothing! Many people say they go through cycles on this drug (ie. a week without a spot) and then BAM, one appears. In my case, I've never had a day where I haven't had a pimple on this drug and it's depressing the hell out of me. I know that some people don't clear until the end of their course and sometimes thereafter but will my healing abilities actually return to normal and scars and blemishes diminish faster when I come off this drug...this is seriously driving me CRAZY! I eat very healthy, take my drug with lots of good fats (at least 50 g), exercise constantly, and sleep on my back. My derm always thinks I'm clearing because every time I go for my monthly checkup, she says "the bumps seem be leveling out and you only have a few left"....what she doesn't realize is that the life span of my pimples is not long and new ones constantly appear, so in reality..NO, it's not getting better!

I'm 6'3" 175 pounds and my dose has been as follows:

Month 1: 40 mg

Month 2: 40mg

Month 3: 60 mg

Month 4: 60 mg

Month 5: 60 mg

Month 6: 60 mg expected.

This comes out to a cumulative dose of 9600 mg for 175 (80 kg) pounds...is this enough for long-term remission? I would personally rather go on a high dose and take any fucking side effect than still have acne this far into treatment. I asked her if I can go up to 80 mg and she replied by saying, "we never put anyone that high"...should I see a different derm or ask for another month?

To those of you who have gone off the drug, how long does healing take to return to normal. I can barely look in the mirror anymore and it's really bringing me down emotionally.

I need some hope that this still may work cause as of right now, I have none...

That dose seems a little low for your weight. I would defiantly try and still talk to your dermatologist about the 80mg. And if she still says no, take 1 or 2 more months more than normal. I know scarring is very depressing, but just try and hang in there.

What keeps me in a good mood even when I breakout is that I say that Accutane is fighting all my acne that keeps popping out and that even though it may not look it, Accutane is winning and the acne is trying it's best to fight back. Lame I know, but it keeps me in calm and not go all maniac about breaking out all the time.

Yeah, I'm really getting fed up...If she doesn't increase my dose next appointment or at least guarantee me an extra month or two on the drug, I'm gonna switch derms.

Im on my 109th day out of 120 day course at 80 mg perday. My derm started me off at 80 mg and I only weigh 140 pounds and I'm probably 6'1 or 6'2. Got my IB like a week in, lasted for about a week. Then about a month in, I would get the odd zit. But for the longest time, like almost 3 months I have gone with out any break outs. People who hadn't seen me in a few months couldn't believe how much better my face was getting. I still have scars and redmarks but no zits and no new cysts and my face is looking a lot clearer. I'm hoping the redmarks will fade.

Your Derm telling you they never put people that high. Bullllll shit. I've never gone for a blood test lol which is stupid yes but I dont care. I eat junk food alot and I dont drink enough water that I should be on accutane but hey, no problems so far. Only side effects I get are dry lips, dry skin, back pain. So accutane does work.

you definitely need a higher dose for your weight/height. i'd say at least 80mg. usually the derm treats it aggressively in the early months to knock out all the junk while the skin is stronger/thick (compared to the later months). have you picked/popped zits on tane?

look into another derm for sure. i also read some of your posts saying that you use complex 15. i personally found that stuff to be very watery and not moisturizing enough (this was before i was on tane). you might want to dry a different moisturizer such as cerave cream coupled with a drop of jojoba if you are dry.

im on day 73 and still look pretty shitty so perhaps im not one to give advice.

just to end on a high note, my moms hairdresser took tane and didnt clear until after she stopped taking it.. she was breaking out the entire course. now, she hasnt had a pimple since...

you definitely need a higher dose for your weight/height. i'd say at least 80mg. usually the derm treats it aggressively in the early months to knock out all the junk while the skin is stronger/thick (compared to the later months). have you picked/popped zits on tane?

look into another derm for sure. i also read some of your posts saying that you use complex 15. i personally found that stuff to be very watery and not moisturizing enough (this was before i was on tane). you might want to dry a different moisturizer such as cerave cream coupled with a drop of jojoba if you are dry.

im on day 73 and still look pretty shitty so perhaps im not one to give advice.

just to end on a high note, my moms hairdresser took tane and didnt clear until after she stopped taking it.. she was breaking out the entire course. now, she hasnt had a pimple since...

I would ask for a higher dose. I weight 140 and have the 60 mg, so I'd think you should have a higher one.

And as far as picking, if you have a big whitehead, is it bad to pop it?? I know they say it is, but when I get out of the shower I barely even have to touch it and the white stuff just comes out. Is this still considered picking? Lol..I never like attack a cyst that I know will just cause more damage, but I just can't resist when I just have a little one with the white stuff just like half-way out. How do you guys deal with the whiteheads?? Just leave them on your face??

I wouldn't risk going on 80 mg if I were you. It has a way higher chance of giving you bad side effects like Rosacea..people post about this problem all the time now.. you think people would start to listen and realize it's real

Emu oil is awesome! I've been using it about a week, maybe a little longer. I wash at night with purpose gentle cleanser, then use emu oil to moisturize, and then just wash with water in the morning. Its done wonders for my "tane burn" and my face isn't red now...and it isn't dry at all. just nice...oh and i've been completely clear for almost 2 months now, and it hasn't broken me out at all since i started using it. :cool:

Hmm. I weigh 125lbs, 5'2" - and am currently going into my 8th month. My dosages were as follows: 30mg, 60mg, 60mg, 80mg, 80mg, 100mg, 100mg and now he's finally lowering it to 60mg again. Didn't plan to be on it this long and my acne was never severe - only the scarring cyst that would persist, be clear a week or so, then have another cyst or two. I was very oily too. This past month was the first month I didn't need to go in for a cortizone shot before my normal tane appt. - but then sure enough, got one on my shoulder the day before the appt. that needed one. I haven't had any on my chest or back since the second month. I have a good deal of scarring and red marks that come and go, but overall my skin is much improved. I'm hopeful this long dose will take care of things for good, but disappointed that it's taken so long. My derm has been very aggressive from the get go - I'm surprised to hear that you derm is not. How are you labs?

Emu oil is awesome! I've been using it about a week, maybe a little longer. I wash at night with purpose gentle cleanser, then use emu oil to moisturize, and then just wash with water in the morning. Its done wonders for my "tane burn" and my face isn't red now...and it isn't dry at all. just nice...oh and i've been completely clear for almost 2 months now, and it hasn't broken me out at all since i started using it. :cool:

Yea, I'm definitely looking into a new derm. I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday so I'll ask for another referral to another derm. And yes, I hate to say it, but I'm a picker...I just can't stand the thought of walking around all day with a giant white orb on my face; ain't happening. I'll probably end up getting a series of fraxel laser treatments or needling six months down the road anyways.

As for the moisturizer, most of them break me out so I think I'll stick with Complex 15 (I can live with the semi-dryness). Emu oil broke me out...ain't using any more oils, sorry. I'll look into Cerave cream though as I've heard good things.

I want a higher dose really bad...it will still work on a lower dose, correct? It'll just requires more time? Btw, what retinoids do people usually recommend post-tane? I'd like a balance between scar/red mark treating effectiveness and non-"turn your face tomato red" effects. Any thoughts would be appreciated.