Notifications
Clear all

Update -- progesterone cream

MemberMember
(@murmur)

Posted : 04/05/2008 4:40 pm

Hey guys,

I've been so busy for the past month and haven't had time to keep up with this forum, but I wanted to stop by and give a quick update on my progress.

I took DIM for one month (February) and then switched to progesterone cream in march.

My skin is still clear. I haven't had a real cyst in like two months. I still have some tiny little non-inflamed bumpies on my face but the overall improvement has been dramatic.

I've also slacked off on my diet recently and have been under a tremendous amount of stress at work, as well as coping with the recent death of a friend and flying from NY to California and back twice in one month, AND sleeping in my makeup.... so I have had every reason to break out, but my skin has held up beautifully.

My PMS hasn't been as severe either. This past month I had a 28 day cycle for the first time in years. I used to menstruate every 31-35 days, so I was thrilled to have a normal cycle. My period was still really heavy and uncomfortable but like I said, the PMS wasn't bad and I did not break out.

Anyway just wanted to share this news. I'm going to keep using the progesterone cream while I search for a holistically-oriented hormone doctor.

Hope everyone is doing well.

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 04/05/2008 4:46 pm

progesterone cream worked for me too, but I'm so forgetfull I just knew I'd screw up the sceduling, so i had to drop it, I didn't want to screw up my cycle.

I wonder if guys can use progesterone cream too? they wouldn't need a schedule at all would they? Because progesterone isn't "male" or "female", it's produced by the adrenal glands to bind up excess hormones, so I'd think they could...

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 04/05/2008 4:49 pm

progesterone cream worked for me too, but I'm so forgetfull I just knew I'd screw up the sceduling, so i had to drop it, I didn't want to screw up my cycle.

I wonder if guys can use progesterone cream too? they wouldn't need a schedule at all would they? Because progesterone isn't "male" or "female", it's produced by the adrenal glands to bind up excess hormones, so I'd think they could...

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 04/05/2008 4:51 pm

Best brand by far is Pro-Gestin by Emerita, paraben-free.

MemberMember
(@junebug1991)

Posted : 04/05/2008 5:01 pm

Do you recommend knowing for sure your entire cycle before you start the cream? (because then I would have some problems =\ )

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 04/05/2008 5:02 pm

MemberMember
(@murmur)

Posted : 04/05/2008 5:03 pm

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 04/05/2008 5:03 pm

Did you buy it from a store or order it online; and from where?

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 04/05/2008 5:16 pm

Here's something I posted a few years ago on a hair loss site about the possible use of topical progesterone to fight MPB (male patten balding). If it's mildly useful for fighting balding, that also provides a reasonable scientific rationale for its use against acne, because of the obvious antiandrogenic connection:

Here are some comments from a well-known authority in dermatology, Dr. Norman Orentreich, in his article: "Biology of Scalp Hair Growth", Clinics in Plastic Surgery -- Vol. 9, No. 2, 1982:

"Local Therapy

[...] Progesterone was found to be a natural and significant 5aR inhibitor when tested in vitro, in the human skin microsome system, a rich source of 5aR, and in human scalp hair follicles. When a solution of progesterone in alcohol was applied to the pubic skin of normal males, it caused an average decrease of 75.2 per cent in 5aR activity after 24 hours of treatment.

"Moreover, while less DHT is made, more dihydroprogesterone (DHP; 5a-pregnane-3,20dione) is made. DHP competes with the residual DHT for the cytosol-nuclear binding protein for a further reduction in the amount of DHT interacting with genetic material.

"Progesterone works in reducing DHT production locally by competing for the active site of 5aR and would need to be present at the active site continuously because of the reversible kinetics. Treatment lapses result in the resumption of DHT production from testosterone.

"Since progesterone only partially inhibits DHT production and since DHP only partially inhibits binding of residual DHT, local progesterone at best can only ameliorate androgenetic alopecia and not arrest it.

"Because more than 70 per cent of topically applied progesterone is metabolized in the skin to weak, nonandrogenic by-products, it can be used in women at the rate of 1 ml of a 2 per cent solution BID, whereas higher doses result in menstrual irregularities."

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 04/05/2008 9:56 pm

^I think I read a post on hair loss talk that said the guy used progesterone cream for a year, maintained his hair, but then stopped because he felt like he could get more regrowth from another treatment.

MemberMember
(@piscesgirl)

Posted : 04/07/2008 8:10 am

How often do you use the cream? I just got some and it says use it 14 days on, 14 off for non-menopausal women, on days you're not on your period. Just wondering if that's the schedule you go by, or something different..thanks!

MemberMember
(@jules-2)

Posted : 04/07/2008 10:15 pm

I am on Wiley Progesterone, which is absolutely amazing. I've only gone through it once, and get to start again soon. I have polycystic ovary syndrome, so anything that balances my hormones shows great results.

MemberMember
(@historydiva)

Posted : 04/08/2008 8:39 am

I am on my second cycle with progesterone (I use it days 12-26 of my cycle), and I am definitely noticing a difference. I am also taking DIM and other supplements. The combo of DIM + progesterone cream has really changed my overall health. My acne is nearly stabilized, no more cysts, and my general well-being has not been this good in years! I am doing better with PMS symptoms, foggy-headed feelings, low blood sugar, sleep, emotions, hair thinning, hormonal acne, water retention and difficulty toning to muscle - hormonal balancing has helped me with all these nasty problems. (A good topical routine is helping me too - OCM with jojoba, occasional honey mask, Paula's Choice BHA at night with Alpha Hydrox Night Resq, and Alpha Hydrox AHA in the morning.)

I use the Arbonne progesterone cream but I am trying a new brand once my current bottle empties. Arbonne was really expensive, and I found a cream online with similar ingredients and the same convenient pump dispenser.

I am so thankful to this message board for getting the word out on progesterone cream. I would have NEVER thought I needed it since I always assumed it was for pre-menopausal women.

THANK YOU guys!!!

MemberMember
(@junebug1991)

Posted : 04/14/2008 9:12 pm

Apparently:

Lew said results from the NCI study lend credence to the theory that alcohol's interference with the metabolism of estrogen raises the risk of cancer.
MemberMember
(@drainer15)

Posted : 04/14/2008 11:29 pm

Have any guys experienced success with this? Also, does the cream help reduce oil production?

Thanks for the input

MemberMember
(@altapgt)

Posted : 04/14/2008 11:56 pm

I also want to know about guys using this, I bought some but have not gotten around to using it yet.

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 04/18/2008 1:03 pm

I also want to know about guys using this, I bought some but have not gotten around to using it yet.
MemberMember
(@altapgt)

Posted : 04/18/2008 5:37 pm

Well partly because theres no hard evidence saying progesterone will do X to estrogen and x to testosterone. I don't want to mess up something that I can't take back. Furthermore, I am in the middle of trying diet manipulation... but keeping PC in the back of my mind.

MemberMember
(@lilmissblonde)

Posted : 04/20/2008 4:02 pm

Hi all ive been reading alot about this progesterone cream and am considering it, my spots are hormonal (i only break out the week before and the week of my period) i really don't want to go on BCPs as all the side effects scare me (theres some awful things written about them). I live in the UK so we probably don't sell it in our shops (we are useless) so where are you all buying yours? thanks

MemberMember
(@adri-chan)

Posted : 04/27/2008 3:31 pm

Any men on progesterone?

MemberMember
(@adri-chan)

Posted : 05/17/2008 9:28 am

Any men on progesterone?
MemberMember
(@lilmissblonde)

Posted : 05/17/2008 10:06 am

Im on it but to soon to tell if its helping

MemberMember
(@protozoa2000)

Posted : 05/17/2008 11:03 am

I'm also curious to see how things are going for the males using PC.

How did you work it into your routine and what are the positive/negative side effects?

MemberMember
(@adri-chan)

Posted : 05/24/2008 8:13 am

I'm also curious to see how things are going for the males using PC.

How did you work it into your routine and what are the positive/negative side effects?

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 06/03/2008 7:34 pm

I just ordered a progesterone cream. It's from Source Naturals; not the one that you recommended but they have comparable ingredients and they both have great reviews on Amazon.

I'll post results after I start using it.