Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
three99

Weird results with AHA moisturizer for combination skin?

Probably because of the hard water at my apartment, my t-zone is oily and congested, while my cheeks are dry to the point of being flaky. I work at a spa, and the girl who does my facials tells me that I should try something with AHA so it evens out my skin tones, and at the time can help with acne scars. She said I should stay with it for at least 8 weeks to see results, and she also advised that I stay with my daily exfoliator to take off the dead skin that the AHA produces (Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant).

I've tried the GM Collin Derm Renewal Gel-Cream (10% AHA) for about 3 weeks now. My t-zones feel pretty good, no major breakouts - just some tiny whiteheads that goes away in a day or two. Haven't had any big cysts yet, which I used to get at least twice a month and stays around forever in a scar. So my t-zone likes the product.

But my cheeks feel like sandpaper! They LOOK smooth - but feel rough to the touch. Every time I put on the gel-cream after exfoliation at night, my cheeks sting for about 5 minutes, then it calms down and feels smooth. The sandpaper texture comes around a few hours later.

My mom says I should try putting vaseline on it at night to "plump it out", or I'll start getting wrinkles very early (I'm 24). I'm worried that I might get pimples from the vaseline.

So what should I do? Should I keep going with the AHA cream? If I keep going, would my cheek skin get a better texture? Should I stop?

Any experience or advice is very much appreciated!