Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Indoobidubly

A few questions about multivitamins

It seems that iodine is a no-no ingredient. Does anyone know of any other bad ingredients?

Does it matter if the multivitamin is a name brand or generic? Or if there is an all-natural multi?

Iodine is fine, unless you've personally noted that iodine affects you. For most people, it doesn't; and if you've improved your diet, chances are your iodine intake is too low, if anything.

There are all-natural multivitamins, and they work well, but they tend to be quite expensive and sometimes they don't give you the array of nutrients that you want.

But keep in mind that multivitamins are poorly absorbed no matter what the brand and that you're better off having a healthy diet and taking individual supplements as needed.

It seems that iodine is a no-no ingredient. Does anyone know of any other bad ingredients?

Does it matter if the multivitamin is a name brand or generic? Or if there is an all-natural multi?

If you have regular acne do not worry about iodine. It is true that iodine in huge quantities can induce an acneiform eruption. But this is different from regular acne vulgaris. The amount of iodine in a multivitamin is tiny. Milk has more iodine than most multivitamins.

A multivitamin is convienient but I think it is better to take the individual vitamin supplements you need and skip the rest. If you have non-comedone acne, acne rosacea or adult acne, then be careful with the B-vitamins. They messed me up big time. But it was like flipping and on/off switch, I recovered as soon I stopped the B-vitamins.

Always go for name brands. Supplement manufacturers are not regulated. You need to be able to trust the ingredients in the capsule before you swallow it. Could be anything inside it.

The amount of iodine in a multivitamin is tiny. Milk has more iodine than most multivitamins.

Sorry to be blunt, but that's not true. Multivitamins typically have over twice as much iodine per serving than milk.

The amount of iodine in a multivitamin is tiny. Milk has more iodine than most multivitamins.

Sorry to be blunt, but that's not true. Multivitamins typically have over twice as much iodine per serving than milk.

Iodine at 100% UK rda is 150mcg. Which is the maximum amount found in a multivitamin sold in the UK. Many popular multivitamins use less, for example, Multibionta contains 100mcg of iodine.

UK milk typically contains 150mcg of iodine per litre. A litre is approximately 1 US quart. The figures I have seen for iodine in US milk are even higher than this.

Milk is the #1 source of iodine in the UK diet. Salt is not fortified in the UK.