Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shoot_the_pianist

"Whatever you use, the maximum you are going to improve things is by about a half or two thirds"

"Whatever you use, the maximum you are going to improve things is by about a half or two thirds" - Professor Tony Avery, Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham

This is a statement I just found from some research into medications for acne. If you ask me, it seems pretty depressing! Nobody has ever told this me. I would go to many Drs and get prescriptions for antibiotics, topical creams, etc and thought "great, this will clear my acne". If someone had told be the best I could hope for was 2/3 improvement, well, I want to be clear! I am sure you guys do to.

There seems to be conflicting advice. We all heard about successfully controlling acne but 2/3 improvement does not sound like controlling acne to me. I just wondered why there is such a big problem with people getting accutane when the best we can hope for with antibiotics and topicals is 2/3. I feel if someone wants to be clear, and asks for accutane (and agrees to use it as prescribed to minimise all risks) they should be allowed it. Not have to wait for topicals and antibiotics to give only 2/3 improve and scarring to begin to occur. There are no perfect treatments for scarring, improvement is the best that can be hoped for. Prevention is surely the best route

I just thought I would start this thread to see what peoples thoughts were. Is it me who just seems to think there is an inconsistency between the idea of Drs saying we must control acne when, supposedly, the best we can do is 2/3? I just think Accutane should be considered more of a real alternative now the risks of this drug are well understood. Too many Drs want to wait until other treatments have failed. It is too hard to get accutane. The risks of this drug are understood, and can be minimised. The majority of people tolerate it well. If people agree to take it as advised by Drs the majority of people could surely avoid scarring and distress from acne. 2/3 is not prevention, accutane is prevention.

I have an idea of where those numbers are coming from. It may not be quite as hopeless as it sounds though! If you look at clinical trials for individual acne medications, you very often see improvement levels of somewhere between 40-70%, depending on the drug and the initial acne severity. This is usually done in comparision to a placebo or another type of acne medication. Clinical trials very often only test one medication at a time, so they can be sure that the effects they are seeing are due to the drug they are testing and not due to any other medications being used.

However, the success rates generally increase when you use a combination therapy (e.g. retinoid + antibotic or benzoyl peroxide). This is because different acne medications treat different causes of acne - (some unclog pores, others kill bacteria). If you can deal with more than one causal factor, you are more likely to get better success rates. In practice, most doctors and other skin care professionals do use a multi-pronged attack for treating acne - this generally will increase the success rate beyond the effects of any one treatment alone.

The acne clinic I go to uses this approach - they use products to do two things: exfoliate the skin/unclog the pores and kill the acne bacteria. They also take extra steps to help clients avoid other factors that may trigger acne breakouts such as avoiding foods that are known to lead to acne flares, avoiding skin care products with pore clogging ingredients, and avoiding the use of fabric softener on clothing, bedding, and towels.

For most people, treating acne is much more complex that just taking one pill or applying one treatment product to the skin.

Well said Willow! Statistics can definately be misleading. I think quite a few people on these boards have found a regimen that works well for them. It gives people hope, to know some have gotten clear.

I have an idea of where those numbers are coming from. It may not be quite as hopeless as it sounds though! If you look at clinical trials for individual acne medications, you very often see improvement levels of somewhere between 40-70%, depending on the drug and the initial acne severity. This is usually done in comparision to a placebo or another type of acne medication. Clinical trials very often only test one medication at a time, so they can be sure that the effects they are seeing are due to the drug they are testing and not due to any other medications being used.

However, the success rates generally increase when you use a combination therapy (e.g. retinoid + antibotic or benzoyl peroxide). This is because different acne medications treat different causes of acne - (some unclog pores, others kill bacteria). If you can deal with more than one causal factor, you are more likely to get better success rates. In practice, most doctors and other skin care professionals do use a multi-pronged attack for treating acne - this generally will increase the success rate beyond the effects of any one treatment alone.

The acne clinic I go to uses this approach - they use products to do two things: exfoliate the skin/unclog the pores and kill the acne bacteria. They also take extra steps to help clients avoid other factors that may trigger acne breakouts such as avoiding foods that are known to lead to acne flares, avoiding skin care products with pore clogging ingredients, and avoiding the use of fabric softener on clothing, bedding, and towels.

For most people, treating acne is much more complex that just taking one pill or applying one treatment product to the skin.

Hey willow can you tell us what those foods are? I seriously thought the stuff you eat had no effect whatsoever on your face.

I would also like to add to what Willow said about those statistics. My daughter's mild inflammatory acne was completely cleared through a combination of oral antibiotics and 2.5% BP (Proactive) for over two years. Unfortunately, that combo quit working for her and she is now on a regimen of BP and retin-A micro, along with Ortho Tricyclen, which keeps her acne under control but not clear as she was before. Anyway, the point is, some medications or combinations of medications can work very well.

Thanks for the information willow. I work out like 4 times a week. The problem is before and after those sessions i need some protein so i eat canned tuna before and after working out. Do you think that could be related to my breakouts? If so what would you suggest instead?

Thanks for the information willow. I work out like 4 times a week. The problem is before and after those sessions i need some protein so i eat canned tuna before and after working out. Do you think that could be related to my breakouts? If so what would you suggest instead?

Tuna probably has a moderate amount of iodine in it. I guess the impact somewhat depends on what the rest of your diet is like. Do you eat a lot of salty junk foods or lots of processed food (most of which is pretty high in salt, which is often iodized salt), or lots of dairy? Also, do you use protein shakes or bars (often, these protein suppliments are loaded with iodine)?

I wouldn't completely omit the tuna - oily fish does have some benefits. Another concern with tuna, unrelated to acne, are the high levels of mercury found in tuna. I believe that it is recommended that because of this, you shouldn't eat tuna more than a couple times a week. Maybe just cut back on it? Could you replace the tuna either before or after your workout with other meat like chicken? There are also non meat sources like walnuts, beans, etc. that are great sources of protein.

doctors and such tell you food have no affect on your diet but i don't know..... for me chocolate def doesn't do anything on my face but i believe you're right about the milk thing.... yogurt makes me break out if i eat too much of it. is there any findings?

about the original post... that's so true. I use murad and it's the only thing that gives me pretty good results but it's like 2/3 because i still break out and i'm not 100 % clear but at least half of the time my face is like all clear and people give me compliments and i don't have moderate acne anymore......

we can walk on the moon and create gsp devices and have great technology but we can't cure acne......

Tuna probably has a moderate amount of iodine in it. I guess the impact somewhat depends on what the rest of your diet is like. Do you eat a lot of salty junk foods or lots of processed food (most of which is pretty high in salt, which is often iodized salt), or lots of dairy? Also, do you use protein shakes or bars (often, these protein suppliments are loaded with iodine)?

I wouldn't completely omit the tuna - oily fish does have some benefits. Another concern with tuna, unrelated to acne, are the high levels of mercury found in tuna. I believe that it is recommended that because of this, you shouldn't eat tuna more than a couple times a week. Maybe just cut back on it? Could you replace the tuna either before or after your workout with other meat like chicken? There are also non meat sources like walnuts, beans, etc. that are great sources of protein.

I try to avoid junk food as much as i can and i stopped drinking milk a few months ago but i still have some cheese -which is quite salty actually- at breakfast and occasionally some yogurt. Should i cut them off my diet too? I don't use any supplements related to bodybuilding like protein shakes or bars. I have an egg for breakfast everyday.

I prefer canned tuna because of my laziness :rolleyes: Well if the mercury thing is true with tuna i eat too much of it then like 9 cans a week-i'm only 132 pounds so i'm trying to put on some weight :D