Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ceri

Is this what to expect after dermaroller/TCA cross/cortisol combination?

Hi all

4 weeks ago I had Dr Chu perform dermaroller and TCA cross on indented scars and some cortisol shots on atropic scars (only very little ones on my chin).

Right after I was v red and scabbed and that has pretty much gone now.

However yesterday (4 weeks after the procedure) I noticed that 5 rolling scars on the left hand side of my chin have gone just slightly browny-grey and appear MUCH more indented. They were there before but were much less noticable. I do not know if this is due to the TCA cross, cortisone or the dermaroller.

It is strange that scars on the rest of my face have not been affected in the same way.

Is this normal to expect after the procedure? Is this part of the healing process?

I have not used anything harsh on my skin and started copper peptides about a weeks ago. I did not pick the TCA scabs. (I have worn SPF 15 religiously since the treatment and there's not much sun here in the UK anyway!)

Can scars actually get worse after a combination of these treatments? And if so, would I see the worsened effects just 4 weeks in?

Dr Chu is highly thought of and arguably the best derm in the UK, if not further afield and very experienced in conducting scar treatments so surely he would not have overdone it??

I am kind of worried I have worsened my scar situation and appreciate your comments / opinions!

Thanks

Did he use the dermaroller and then do TCA CROSS on the same scars in the same session?

Yes in one session. First dermaroller, then cross and injections. Can't remember if the cross or injections came first.

All three treaments to the same scars?

To me that seems like it would do more harm than good.

I have a mix of different scars.

Different scars require different treatments and Dr Chu used treatments for the following areas in the same session:

icepicks = TCA cross

raised = cortisol

rolling = dermaroller

Anyone have any ideas re why the rolling scars on the left hand side of my chin are brownish and appear deeper?

Thanks!

So the 5 rolling scars that look worse, is the only thing that touched them the dermaroller?

And it's really hard to imagine what it looks like, most everyone describes their scars, and then you try to imagine it in your head, and then they post pics and it looks nothing like you imagined from their description, so it's really hard to evaluate.

And from everything I've read, Dr. Chu sounds like a solid dude, adverse reactions like this can be scary, but I'd just grab tight, contact the guy, and have faith.

So the 5 rolling scars that look worse, is the only thing that touched them the dermaroller?

And it's really hard to imagine what it looks like, most everyone describes their scars, and then you try to imagine it in your head, and then they post pics and it looks nothing like you imagined from their description, so it's really hard to evaluate.

And from everything I've read, Dr. Chu sounds like a solid dude, adverse reactions like this can be scary, but I'd just grab tight, contact the guy, and have faith.

Thanks for your support.

The rolling scars seem to be filling in as they are looking less noticable (or that may just be cos i'm gettingused to them!).

If you still experience discoloration-

SPF 15 is not strong enough after treatment with TCA, IMHO. I don't think a 15 block that could sweat off or dilute from oils is strong enough, period.

I use a 55 block for my skin. (Shiseido, zinc based) It sounds like it may be melasma. I hope it's not, but to start with I'd get a stronger sunblock, & talk to Dr. Chu about what happened.

If you still experience discoloration-

SPF 15 is not strong enough after treatment with TCA, IMHO. I don't think a 15 block that could sweat off or dilute from oils is strong enough, period.

I use a 55 block for my skin. (Shiseido, zinc based) It sounds like it may be melasma. I hope it's not, but to start with I'd get a stronger sunblock, & talk to Dr. Chu about what happened.

Thanks Dee. They are still brown! I will buy a stronger SPF asap.

Your scars will improve over time and may take 3 months if not much longer before u see good results,longer the better for good results.

The scars will look worse at first and u will feel even more depressed but give it time and they will get better.

As for the brown colour i don't know but try ACV diluted with water then put it on the brown coloured scars to lighten the brown.

Your scars will improve over time and may take 3 months if not much longer before u see good results,longer the better for good results.

The scars will look worse at first and u will feel even more depressed but give it time and they will get better.

As for the brown colour i don't know but try ACV diluted with water then put it on the brown coloured scars to lighten the brown.

Thanks for your reassuring comments Sam - I feel better now!

The rolling scars on the left side of my chin are still indented and brown.

My theory is that the surrounding unscarred skin has responded to the dermaroller and the rolling scars on my chin have not - so they appear more noticeable.

Been using differin on my chin to see if that helps but it's still the same. Think there's been some minor improvement tho - although that might be because I'm getting used to them now.

Ceri.. the only thing i could figure is that maybe the cortisone injections had something to do with it... Ive heard many people say they had spots injected with cortisone that got considerably worse afterwards... is the deeper scarring close to the injection site? also what ethnicity are you and what is your skin tone? skin color can play a large role in hyperpigmentation from procedures.

Ceri.. the only thing i could figure is that maybe the cortisone injections had something to do with it... Ive heard many people say they had spots injected with cortisone that got considerably worse afterwards... is the deeper scarring close to the injection site? also what ethnicity are you and what is your skin tone? skin color can play a large role in hyperpigmentation from procedures.

Hiya

He did inject some raised scars on my chin but I did not have any rased scars near the rolling ones that appear worse. I don't think Dr Chu would have injected cortisone into the rolling scars as he is v knowledgeable and experienced but I don't know for sure if they were or weren't.

Also he injected some raised scars on the right hand side of my chin and my cheeks and they have not changed. The only scars that appear worse are on the left side of my chin. Very strange!

My skin tone is caucasian (fair - medium) - I have dark hair and eyes. I am pre-disposed to hyperpigmentation as I have a lot of brown marks from acne.

Thanks for your help in understanding what has gone on here!!

Hiya

He did inject some raised scars on my chin but I did not have any rased scars near the rolling ones that appear worse. I don't think Dr Chu would have injected cortisone into the rolling scars as he is v knowledgeable and experienced but I don't know for sure if they were or weren't.

Also he injected some raised scars on the right hand side of my chin and my cheeks and they have not changed. The only scars that appear worse are on the left side of my chin. Very strange!

My skin tone is caucasian (fair - medium) - I have dark hair and eyes. I am pre-disposed to hyperpigmentation as I have a lot of brown marks from acne.

Thanks for your help in understanding what has gone on here!!

Hi Ceri,

It sounds like the brown patches are the after-effect of TCA peel. Do you remember if Dr. Chu had applied the TCA peel on the rolling scars? There could be some pitted scars he was trying to treat that also happen to be situatated in the middle of much bigger rolling scars.

How's the brown marks and have the rolling scars gone less visible by now?

you said you used copper peptides about a week ago .. was this on the rolling scars ... and did you notice the rolling scars getting worse before or after you started using copper peptides ... i have read quite a few posts on skinbiology about CP's making scars worse .... personally i thnk you should leave out the CP. didnt DR chu reccomend a collagen boosting cream to use after and bwteen treatments ? he normally recommends Terproline but only if you ask him what cream/aftercare you should be doing

edit : just read your post again and you said that you only yesterday (4 weeks after treamtment) that your rollign scars seem worse which was 1 week after using CP. my guess is that the CP is whats making them look worse. i doubt the dermaroller would have made those scars look worse after a month, it would of been within the first few weeks after treatment

it has been 10 days since I rolled the last time and my scars look worse than ever now. I personally never recommend anyone using dermarollers. I think they are stupid and make your scars worse. Now I am desperate again.

it has been 10 days since I rolled the last time and my scars look worse than ever now. I personally never recommend anyone using dermarollers. I think they are stupid and make your scars worse. Now I am desperate again.

Hi, I wonder if your scar getting any better by now. I have done 2 dermaroller and dermastamp sessions in a skin clinic, and it has been 10 days since my last dermarolling, I got bigger, deeper and darker scar.

Thanks.