Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
megaaaanb

Can oral antibiotics clear whiteheads?

I asked this is the antibiotics section and didn't get any answers so I'm hoping somebody here knows...Can oral antibiotics clear whiteheads? I've been taking mino for 3 weeks now and I have no inflammed acne anymore. My doctor told me it would take about 2 months to see results (I've already had drasic results). So I'm wondering if she was talking about results for my comedonal acne?

Whitehead is not inflammatory, right? So it's not bacteria that causes whitehead and antibiotics won't do much, I guess.. I would try topical treatment like salycilic acid.

Whiteheads are formed from pus as a result from the body reacting to infection. Oral antibiotics should prevent more from forming and existing ones from worsening, but anything already present will have to resolve naturally. Of course, you will have to maintain a good skin care regimen in order for that to happen. Do you exfoliate?

Antibiotics will not clear blackheads. For that, try SA preparations.

I asked this is the antibiotics section and didn't get any answers so I'm hoping somebody here knows...Can oral antibiotics clear whiteheads? I've been taking mino for 3 weeks now and I have no inflammed acne anymore. My doctor told me it would take about 2 months to see results (I've already had drasic results). So I'm wondering if she was talking about results for my comedonal acne?

If you mean noninflamed whiteheads (closed comedones), antibiotics won't do much for those. Antibiotics really only work on lesions that have bacterial involved (papules, pustules, cysts).

Maybe ask your derm for a retinoid in addition to the antibiotics? You can also use an over the counter retinoid such as Vivant Derm A Gel, Green Cream, Diacneal, etc. Or possibly an AHA (glycolic, mandelic, or lactic acid) or BHA (salicylic acid) product.