Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, I've suffered from severe body acne and facial acne for about three years now. My facial acne is mostly clear, but I am now dealing with the scars. I've always worried about my face and not so much my body because clothes would cover it. Until recently, I have been able to avoid situations where that skin would be exposed, but a new season is coming up and I'm going to be forced to swim! I started panicking. I tried a bunch of things:

Paula's Choice Weightless Body Treatment with 2% BHA - I heard great reviews, but the product did nothing for me! It smelled bad, dried into hard crystals, and wasted a month of my time and money. Salicylic Acid never worked for me.

Benzoyl Peroxide - I tried this in many forms, but ultimately I found out I was extremely allergic to it.

Neutrogena Body Clear - I tried both the scrub and gel version. Neither did anything.

Nature's Cure Body Acne Treatment - I think I used 4 bottles of this stuff. It didn't do anything. The pills caused an allergic reaction.

and many others I do not care to remember right now. I think I spent over $3,000 over the past 3 years fighting body acne. I probably spent way more on my facial acne!

Im glad to hear that you found a regimen that works for you!! I also have severe body acne and allergic to BP, used Neutrogena body wash (no results), differen gel, deocycline, clindamycine...the list goes on...

i still haven't found anything helpful, i'm really going to try out your regimen! wish me luck! again congratulations!

ashd

by the way, where can i purchase sulfur soap?

Thanks for your kind words! I wish you lots of luck and hope this clears you once and for all!

I'm thrilled to be helping others. If this helps at least one other person, I will be completely satisfied.

I ordered my sulfur soap from sal3.com. The price was the best I could find. They give you 6 bars of Sulfur Soap for $21. The bar is called Sal3, it has 10% Sulfur and 3% Salicylic Acid. I'm not sure if the SA has anything to do with my results.

There are lots of options for the Glycolic Acid lotion, just make sure it's a correct pH level. I think Alpha Hydrox also makes one that is much cheaper than the Paula's Choice one.

I forgot to put exactly what I do. Here's the regimen:

Wash with Sulfur Soap.

Rub on soap and turn off the water. Make sure you let the soap stay on for 1-3 minutes. I leave it on for 3 minutes. After 1-3 minutes, wash it off.

Apply Glycolic Acid lotion.

After you shower, make sure your skin is all dry, and apply the GA lotion everywhere you have acne on your body. Don't spend too much money on your GA lotion because you will need a lot!

That is it! Doing this twice a day gave me noticeable results within the first week. The soap is very cheap, $21 will last you about 4 months of soap and the lotion will probably run you less than $20 a month. So total a month you'll spend is around $25.

I remember you complained of body acne scars before. Am I right about that? What kind of scars do you have? Did this treatment do anything for the scars?

I don't remember ever talking about my body acne scars, however I talked about my facial acne scars a lot.

I've never seen my body acne scars because I still had active acne. The scars I see now are mainly red marks, but I do see a few pitted areas. That's not surprising, because I always get pitted scars on my face. It looks minimal though so I'm hopeful I can get them all to fade.

The Glycolic Acid is amazing at clearing up acne and fading scarring. I had no idea exfoliation could make such a big difference. I've only used it for 3 weeks and my skin looks to be 60% better.

I'm glad someone replied to that, haha! I was getting worried that no one thought it was a joke.

Update: I am now incorporating 2% Hydroquinone into my regimen to hasten the fading of red marks. It's helping the red marks, but causing a breakout.

I've stopped using sulfur soap a while ago. My acne is a bit worse without it, but still rather clear. I have tons of red marks/scars though. Hopefully this goes away soon with AHA + hydroquinone.

I've stopped using sulfur soap a while ago. My acne is a bit worse without it, but still rather clear. I have tons of red marks/scars though. Hopefully this goes away soon with AHA + hydroquinone.

I've had body acne for 5 years, and it's getting as bad as it's ever been, to the point where it's pretty depressing. I'd just like to be able to get in the pool or ocean without a shirt on.

Your regimen looks simple. You said you gave up the sulfur soap bars, but would you recommend staying with them?

Also, this is probably a silly question, but how do you apply the AHA lotion and what brand do you use?

I use Nucelle on my chest, because it's really bumpy there and I think it might be fungal.

For everywhere else, I use Paula's Choice Weightless Body Treatment. It's not that cheap. If you can find Alpha Hydroxy AHA Enhanced Lotion, that's a good bargain.