Notifications
Clear all

Does oil return after accutane?

MemberMember
(@mjn86)

Posted : 04/03/2008 9:06 pm

Hey all,

Well I know oil will return after accutane, but will it you produce as much as you did prior to taking accutane?

Before I started accutane, my face was soooo oily, it was GROSS, I could pat my face down with a paper towel about 3 hours after a shower, and the paper towel would be see through, like a greasey fast food paper bag. I am on my 5th or 6th week or accutane(60mg the whole time) and my face feels like I always wanted it too feel like. I can go 12 hours and really not get any oil off my face by patting my face with a paper towel, yet my face is NOT dry, as in peeling, or tight-feeling, it just feels like I think a "normal persons" face should. Anyways, its literally like a dream come true, because I HATE feeling dirty and disgusting. Heres the thing, I am worried that once I get off accutane, that my face will go back to being as oily as it was, even a little less oily as it was, will still be too oily, because I was VERY oily.

Now I understand that everyone is different, but is there any way to figure out how oily I might become?

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@cherry609)

Posted : 04/04/2008 9:14 am

No, in most cases your face is less oily prior to taking Accutane.

MemberMember
(@natuerwild)

Posted : 04/04/2008 9:41 am

Is it viable to continue taking low dosage just to prevent the oil? I'm talking about 10 or 20mg

MemberMember
(@iceprodigy)

Posted : 04/04/2008 1:28 pm

MJN86 said:
Hey all,

Well I know oil will return after accutane, but will it you produce as much as you did prior to taking accutane?

Before I started accutane, my face was soooo oily, it was GROSS, I could pat my face down with a paper towel about 3 hours after a shower, and the paper towel would be see through, like a greasey fast food paper bag. I am on my 5th or 6th week or accutane(60mg the whole time) and my face feels like I always wanted it too feel like. I can go 12 hours and really not get any oil off my face by patting my face with a paper towel, yet my face is NOT dry, as in peeling, or tight-feeling, it just feels like I think a "normal persons" face should. Anyways, its literally like a dream come true, because I HATE feeling dirty and disgusting. Heres the thing, I am worried that once I get off accutane, that my face will go back to being as oily as it was, even a little less oily as it was, will still be too oily, because I was VERY oily.

Now I understand that everyone is different, but is there any way to figure out how oily I might become?

Thank you!

Pre-accutane, I had an even oilier face than you, so I have a few tips for you.

1) Stop using paper towels. Invest in some oil blotting sheets. You can get them in the store or you can click directly below and get a slightly better deal.

http://shop.paulaschoice.com/product/oil-b...e-free-products

2) I'd been off Accutane for about four weeks and I started to feel the oil come back. Sufficed to say it was terrible at first.

3) BUT, I then realized that my oily skin was caused by things that I can affect. Ejaculation makes your body secrete hormones which control the production of sebum (oil) on your skin. So, by cutting back on sex & masturbation, my oil has decreased A LOT.

4) Also, I virtually completely stopped eating dairy. I don't know why it helped, but it did.

5) If you are exfoliating, be as gentle and possible and go as long as possible between scrubs. I would suggest investing in a baby hair brush (order below) and searching the Message Boards for the baby brush exfoliation thread. The harsher and more frequent I am with my exfoliations, the more oily my skin is.

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Hospitals...e/dp/B0009VRRBA

5) Lastly, invest in some OC8. It's a cream that goes on completely clear and absorbs several times its volume in oil from your face. It works wonders for me, and doesn't break me out at all.

[removed] (for information)

[removed] (to order)

A little bit of a postscript: Oil sucks, and is often worse than acne, because being in a classroom with all of your peers when it's sixty degrees outside and looking like you just ran the Boston Marathon draws a lot of attention to you. But, between a few preventative measures and amazing products, any amount of oil can be managed. Accutane will lessen your oil, but even if it doesn't eliminate it, the above things will help immensely. I went from using an ENTIRE blotting sheet every 90 minutes to being about to go about 9 - 10 hours with no visible shine using OC8 and the other things.

MemberMember
(@mjn86)

Posted : 04/04/2008 8:28 pm

What does the accutane actually do to stop the accutane?

I dont understand how it can stop acne so well, if all your oil and then some, comes back after you stop taking the accutane.

I was under the impression that the oil production was permanently reduced, and that your pore sizes are shrunk as well.

?????????

MemberMember
(@phate)

Posted : 04/04/2008 11:40 pm

Causes oil to be slicker

Helps your body kearatanize (sp?) the oil better

matures sebaceous glands.

MemberMember
(@imoily)

Posted : 04/05/2008 11:10 pm

your pore sizes are shrunk as well.

It has no effect on the pores size.

MemberMember
(@dwolf11)

Posted : 10/11/2016 1:17 pm

If the oil in your skin comes back (which it does at least for most people), why doesn't all of your acne come back? Even if some acne comes back it is usually not as bad as before but if all your oil comes back then shouldn't all the acne?