Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LuLuHarp

Help me decide! pleeaasse

I've been contemplating on whether or not to go on accutane for like a year now. If you take the following into consideration... what would YOU do if you were me.

1. suffering for 6 years

3. moderate acne (NAASSTYLY oily skin + a cyst every month r so)

2. starting to stay at home day in n day out :(

3. dread having to pile on make up every single time i step outside

4. starting to dislike sunlight because it makes my pimples look more obvious

5. refrain from smiling at times b/c i'm afraid my make up wont stay in place.

6. don't even remember what clear skin looks or feels like.

7. don't like to kiss anyone bc my make up MIGHT come off

8. plan things with my friends only when my face isn't beaking out.

9. have never gone to a water park :(

10. don't wear tank tops (even if it's boiling) bc i dont want my back to show

and much more....

I know it's a personal decision... but sometimes a person just can't decide on their own! So help please! I need some encouragement :(

I was in the same situation as you to a point. I would always go to work, but was always embarrassed and quiet when I was badly broken out, and at night, when I should be going out with friends and what not, id be home all depressed. I was getting to the point where I was pissed off almost non-stop, almost everyone would ask what was wrong, and Id say nothing. I was starting to create problems at home between myself and my family, because I was always in a blah type mood, and just cranky. Well, after about a year and a half of banguing my head against the wall with, going back and forth trying to decide on whether or not to take Accutane, I had finally just realized that I needed to do something to stop being in such a bad mood, and to start living a normal life, so I decided to talk to the dermatologist, and he agreed that it was a good idea. I had already tried about 5 different types of pills for it, with all different types of classes of meds, and even up-ing the milligrams of the same meds, nothing worked, so that made me realize that I needed to take Accutane as well. Luckily for me, my mom took accutane about 15 yrs ago, and she was worse than I was, and she cleared up and has been fine since, so its nice to hear her stories of it, and her encouragement. Anyways, I am on my 6th week, and Im doing amazing, I am SOO much happier, total night and day difference with in me. I have No regrets yets. Hopefully this helped you with different things to take into consideration and what not. Good luck!

I've been contemplating on whether or not to go on accutane for like a year now. If you take the following into consideration... what would YOU do if you were me.

1. suffering for 6 years

3. moderate acne (NAASSTYLY oily skin + a cyst every month r so)

2. starting to stay at home day in n day out :(

3. dread having to pile on make up every single time i step outside

4. starting to dislike sunlight because it makes my pimples look more obvious

5. refrain from smiling at times b/c i'm afraid my make up wont stay in place.

6. don't even remember what clear skin looks or feels like.

7. don't like to kiss anyone bc my make up MIGHT come off

8. plan things with my friends only when my face isn't beaking out.

9. have never gone to a water park :(

10. don't wear tank tops (even if it's boiling) bc i dont want my back to show

and much more....

I know it's a personal decision... but sometimes a person just can't decide on their own! So help please! I need some encouragement :(

thnx to both of u....MJN86 i'm going thru the same thing with my family...I recently told my mom that I want to move out bc I realize that i'm not treating them the way I kno I should. I thought that I was acting this way because I see them too often or bc I don't go out and enjoy myself enough... which IS the problem... but the root of all of it... is because of my acne. Anyway thx again guys...I know if all goes well with accutane (that is if i decide to take it) the whole world will be lifted off my shoulders!

tech99 brought up A LOT of GREAT points, I can relate to some of that as well, I was afraid to walk outside in the rain, how pathetic is that, I was afraid that the water sitting on my face would screw me up.

LULU- Yeah its difficult to deal with when it involves family. If it eases your mind at all, I asked my dermatologist several questions before I started accutane(im on my 5 or 6th week now), and I asked him if accutane is going to mess me up big time internally, like what are my odds. Well, he told me the key is water, drink PLENTY of it, and you should be fine. He said he has dealt with thousands of accutane patients in his career ever since in came out, and that it is VERY rare to see any serious side effects, he made it seem as if the serious side effects were due to people neglecting themselves while on accutane, as in not enough water.

YES, do it! If you've tried everything else and it hasn't worked, then from your description above it's definitely time. I agree with Tech99 - only one life, so do all you can to enjoy it. :)

If you are set on doing it, only do 20 mg a day. I won't "bombard" you as someone else said, but this drug is VERY serious. DO NOT take the decision lightly and do NOT go above 20 mg a day. Even if you do have less chance of permanent remission (which i do not believe to be the case) you can always go back on another course because the risk of side effects on low dose is so much less.

Trust me i say this coming from alot of knowledge on the drug, more than the person who told others not to "bombard" you.

If you are set on doing it, only do 20 mg a day. I won't "bombard" you as someone else said, but this drug is VERY serious. DO NOT take the decision lightly and do NOT go above 20 mg a day. Even if you do have less chance of permanent remission (which i do not believe to be the case) you can always go back on another course because the risk of side effects on low dose is so much less.

Trust me i say this coming from alot of knowledge on the drug, more than the person who told others not to "bombard" you.

lol I think i've read every single post, log, seen every gallery, and read every single bit of research i can possibly read on accutane. I've been struggling with this decision for almost a year. I think i'm gonna try it, but god... for the first month or 2, i'll be walking on eggshells. I'll be watching out for ANY signs of bad reactions. Thanx alot to all of u tho...all i needed was for someone to encourage me to do it...cuz at home everyone just goes "it's ur own personal decision" christ i know... but i couldnt make it all alone lol. I'll talk to my doctor about the 20mg thing before i start anything, it seems like the safest way to do this.

lol I think i've read every single post, log, seen every gallery, and read every single bit of research i can possibly read on accutane. I've been struggling with this decision for almost a year. I think i'm gonna try it, but god... for the first month or 2, i'll be walking on eggshells. I'll be watching out for ANY signs of bad reactions. Thanx alot to all of u tho...all i needed was for someone to encourage me to do it...cuz at home everyone just goes "it's ur own personal decision" christ i know... but i couldnt make it all alone lol. I'll talk to my doctor about the 20mg thing before i start anything, it seems like the safest way to do this.