Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I’m 17 and have had acne for about 4 years now. It was never that bad (a few white heads and the occasional cyst), but I’ve had bad habits of picking/popping my zits. Luckily I haven’t had any bad scarring :dance:.Unfortunately, this last year I have been stressing out (A LOT) due to school and finding a college (and all the typical HS bullshit with girls and that), so I’ve been breaking out quite badly. It’s been bad enough that some weekends I’ve stayed in my room, hiding myself from friends and family. It even got to the point that I started missing school. Because of all this seclusion, school has become a lot harder than it should be (falling behind etc). On top of that, I have NO self confidence anymore :(… I mean, not only with my friends (last GF I had was over the summer :(:(), but with teachers and public speaking, its horrible. I hate how I cannot even go and talk to teachers to see what I’ve missed. I can’t talk to anyone with eye contact anymore with a big scab or red mark on my face.

I’m either pretty clear, or I am breaking out pretty badly. It sucks because I’ll go to school when I’m clear, and I’ll be everyone’s friend; I’ll have a lot of self confidence and talk with everyone. But when I am breaking out, I will go and hide during lunch and sit in the back of class with my head down. I don’t think people understand why I change my attitude so much :(. Because of acne, school is WAY harder than it should be. I’m doing pretty badly grade wise this year because I’m not even concentrating on what the teachers are saying or what the lesson is about, I’m worrying about who’s looking at me. On top of that, I come home, and look in the mirror and just laugh at myself (not like laughing it off, but more like looking at myself in disgust). Its getting to the point that even on the days that I am pretty clear, I still don’t want to talk to anyone (because of all the red marks left over from the weeks before.

It seems like all of my friends have great skin (the occasional pimple, but still) and don’t have to worry about this. It’s depressing; no one understands why my confidence is so low. They know that I’m usually quiet, but don’t know why I hide myself and miss parties and stuff. I mean shit, I’m even missing prom because for the last few weeks I’ve been broken out and haven’t had the courage to ask someone to go with me :(. The other day, a girl that hadn’t seen me in a few months came over to wake me up so we could go get breakfast. The moment I opened my bedroom door, I could see her eyes scan my face and zero in on every zit… I felt like complete shit. (we still ended up going out to get breakfast, even though I was still in my pajamas with no shirt or shoes though :dance: lol).

I’ve been on countless medicines to try to fight this (minocycline, doxycicline, Retin-A, Differin, and countless OTC things)… It all worked for a few months, but stuff started to go back to what it was in the beginning. I’m not done growing/changing yet I guess, because even when I just try not using any meds, I still break out pretty badly (3 mos with out them, not like 2 weeks…). I’ve decided that I need to stop hiding and need to get over this shit, so I went and asked the derm about accutane. I just took my second pill a couple hours ago with dinner, and so far, I’m not feeling much different (although I did get pretty angry when I knocked my speaker off my desk… I mean, nothing even happened to the speaker, but I was pissed... idk). A few of the symptoms of accutane I hear are depression, anger, feeling worthless, losing interest in activities I once enjoyed and withdrawing from friends and family. I figure there really aren’t going to be any side effects because I pretty much do this stuff already due to my acne. I not only have lost interest in things I’ve previously enjoyed, but have stopped them completely because I’m too embarrassed to go to them; I feel worthless because I have shitty grades and am losing friends; I know I am depressed because I keep feeling like shit, even when my face is alright; and I am withdrawing from friends because I can’t stand being seen like this. So yea, I figure it’s either going to get better… not much too lose :).

Anyways, that’s my sob story, onto the Log.

Day 1

I took my first pill with dinner yesterday night, and today I felt fine. A bit more oily, but otherwise alright. This one deep pimple I’ve had on my chest for the last 6 months feels like it’s coming out (which is amazing), so I’m happy about that. Only thing I’m worried about is that I started accutane (40mg/day) on Tuesday, and school starts again on Monday… I’ve been using differin up until now, so hopefully my IB won’t be that bad.

Is it bad to use differin with the accutane to try to keep the IB to a minimum?

Well thanks for reading. It’s my Log, so I can type all I want, props if you read it all ;)

It feels good to rant about this, sorry if it was kinda long :)

Hey! good luck on your treatment plan and hang in there it will get better eventually.

As far as differin goes you will def want to stop using that as it will dry your skin out to an incredible degree. Spot treating with it occasionally is OK but be sure to moisturize like crazy after you wash your face the next time. Try CeraVe gentle cleanser and moisturizer,it works amazingly well. Aquaphor will also be your best friend when the dry lips kick in.

I'm on day 8 of 40mg/day currently and so far no IB...I think that usually hits in week 2 or 3 for some people, others see it sooner. It all depends but in anycase it is actually a good thing b/c it means the tane is working. GL and keep us posted.

Hey! good luck on your treatment plan and hang in there it will get better eventually.

As far as differin goes you will def want to stop using that as it will dry your skin out to an incredible degree. Spot treating with it occasionally is OK but be sure to moisturize like crazy after you wash your face the next time. Try CeraVe gentle cleanser and moisturizer,it works amazingly well. Aquaphor will also be your best friend when the dry lips kick in.

I'm on day 8 of 40mg/day currently and so far no IB...I think that usually hits in week 2 or 3 for some people, others see it sooner. It all depends but in anycase it is actually a good thing b/c it means the tane is working. GL and keep us posted.

Hi clear. I have a very similar story to yours. I am on day 70 something of accutane and let me tell you...no amount of differin is gonna keep your IB away. All it will do is cause you to dry out more. Around day 5-7 you will see the dry skin typically. Good luck! And just remember hang in there...it doesnt work fast all the time.

Thanks for the responses guys. I checked out your logs and you guys seem to be having some good results!

Day 3

Well, I didn't check back in with the forum soon enough, and used differin last night... I woke up looking and feeling fine though, so i guess i lucked out. Today my skin was kinda dry, but it wasn't tight at all, so im not sure what that was about... just the top layer was kinda flakey.

I have a couple new pimples, but the ones from yesterday have dissapeared for the most part (except a big cyst near my nose that i popped, now it is dying down haha). I hope i don't have a bad IB. I can deal with dry skin, or chapped lips, but i don't want more of the acne.

Also, my hair is kinda oily, that's annoying. i think im going to buzz it off haha :dry:

I hope your IB goes well (or preferably doesn't happen at all). This whole process right now seems like it will never end since we're so early in the process...

You jinxed me on my log though! haha I think I'm starting my IB which sucks but so far it's not as bad as breakouts pre-tane so hopefully it will go away quickly.

Day 4/5

Face and lips are starting to get dry (not that bad at all though, just kinda like when you use retin a, so im used to it). My lower back is starting to hurt im im bent over for some amount of time, or am lifting something. Also, im not sure, but i was taking a test, and couldn't finish certain sections that i could before... maybe it was that or the girl that i was sitting next to ;)... she was kind of, distracting :)

anyways, school starts tomorrow, im not sure if im looking forward to going back right now!

Day 6

Couple new pimples.... ugh i think the IB is starting :(

I also had dry lips.... it was weird, never had those before. oh well, aquaphor helped that out :)

man, you guys need to post in here more!

good luck dude...a quick heads up the first month is pretty rough, and a little bit of the second but once you get through that bull shit IB your good. i just got done with the IB and im like almost two months in, and im almost all clear, man you'll be straight in no time!

good luck dude...a quick heads up the first month is pretty rough, and a little bit of the second but once you get through that bull shit IB your good. i just got done with the IB and im like almost two months in, and im almost all clear, man you'll be straight in no time!

i feel ya bro.. i wanna get to the end of the IB stage.. all though mine is prolly the same as if i wasnt takin accutane.. couple white heads and 2 cysts on my right jaw line that were under the skin when i started but have come up since.. ive noticed im really dry once i get out of the shower and my face is tight.. i think im gona swich to the cetaphil anti.bact. soap cuz the AHA face wash im using right now is a little harsh on my skin.

its funny how me and u started accutane on the same day w/ same dose

plus ur situation seems alot like mine

but yea... let accutane do its shit and jus go along for the ride

Dear IB,

Fuck you.

Love,

clearnowplz

Also, I got punched in the face, so i've had a black eye and a big cut under my eye for a while.... the acne isn't what people notice anymore lol.

Hi :wavey:

The IB is the worst. I got mine in the 2nd month and it lasted about 2 weeks. Hang in there though, you will be clear soon!

:comfort:

So this is day 40 something...

I missed the derm on after the 30 day mark and had to be off the med for like 4 days... so i guess 14 days later skin is still purging. I had been using water, then after i missed the appt i went back to using cleanser. now im starting to go back to water, and its being a bitch to my face.

I also hooked up with a girl the otherday for a couple hours, and i think that might have made me break out a little more.... it was worth it tho heh.

anyways, still not clear.

so i just picked up the last 10 days of my perscription, and im on this other manufaturer now (still at 40 though). Is Sotret (what i used to be on) the same as Amnesteem?

oh, and for a quick update -

I'm on day 52 now i think (just took the 2nd pill in the pack). For the first 20 days or so, it was pretty rough, then it started to get better in the last 10 of the month. Then I ran out of pills and went something like 4-5days without, so I got a breakout. Once i got back on accutane for the 2nd month, it got worse for about 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks, I decided to stop washing my face. I let the water in the shower run over it, but thats about it. No drying either! I just get out of the shower and dry everything except my face - that air dries. I do that and use aquaphor on the parts that are breaking out (it makes the acne go away a lot faster for some reason).

My face is not dry anymore, my complexion is evening out and there are no more cysts!