Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
monogato

The best SA pad you've used..

OK..here's the list of 2% SA pad available.

Neutrogena Rapid Clear Daily Pad

Clean & Clear Advantage Daily Cleansing Pad

Clearassil Ultra Deep Cleansing Pad

Clearassil Daily Acne Control Pore Cleansing Pad

What do you think is the best?

or is there any good 2% SA product you'd recommend?

The important part with SA is that it needs to be at the right pH to be effective (see here for explanation). It is most effective around a pH of 3 and ineffective of 4.

Stridex Triple Action Acne Pads with Salicylic Acid, Maximum Strength, Alcohol Free contain 2% SA, are the correct pH and no alcohol but do contain menthol, in case that bothers you.

Clearasil Daily Blackhead Control Pads with Natural Sea Salt contain 1% SA, are also the correct pH and rated very well. They are what I use.

I don't know what the pH is for the ones you listed. Many times you have to call or email the company to ask.

I use a cleanser called SkinCeutials Clarifying Cleanser. Its excellent! You might have to order it on line though and its kind of pricey

The problem with using cleansers with active ingredients is that they don't stay on your face long enough to be very effective. Additionally, the OP was asking for a SA pad, not cleanser. To back this up, here is the review of the SkinCeuticals Clarifying Cleanser from Paula Begoun:

"SkinCeuticals Clarifying Cleanser contains 2% salicylic acid along with the AHAs glycolic and mandelic acids. Although the pH of this cleansing scrub would allow chemical exfoliation, the acids are not in contact with skin long enough for that to occur. This is a good, water-soluble option for normal to oily skin, but keep it away from the eye area."

The problem with using cleansers with active ingredients is that they don't stay on your face long enough to be very effective. Additionally, the OP was asking for a SA pad, not cleanser. To back this up, here is the review of the SkinCeuticals Clarifying Cleanser from Paula Begoun:

"SkinCeuticals Clarifying Cleanser contains 2% salicylic acid along with the AHAs glycolic and mandelic acids. Although the pH of this cleansing scrub would allow chemical exfoliation, the acids are not in contact with skin long enough for that to occur. This is a good, water-soluble option for normal to oily skin, but keep it away from the eye area."

I'm sure the cleanser is very effective for you but that doesn't mean that she is wrong in the least. Paula's reviews are based on much scientific research and there is no doubt that the SA does not remain on your face long enough during a typical *washing* to be effective as a chemical exfoliator; unless you are putting on your face and leaving it there for an extended period of time.

But in any case, she is a well-respected researcher and you should do your homework before pronouncing her reviews "wrong". I never said that you weren't happy with it as cleanser and that YOU personally didn't find it effective. I quoted her review which clearly shows that the product cannot perform as advertised.

I'm using neutrogena's 2% SA cleanser and it maybe doesn't work as exfoliator but it seems to work pretty good for my clogged pores and whiteheads. I wonder if Paula meant it is not proper only as exfoliator or SA in cleansers won't work for any purpose at all.

If active ingredients in cleansers were all ineffective, why the cosmetic companies would keep producing those cleansers?

Because people buy them and are generally uninformed. The same reason that the majority of AHA and BHA products that they make are at the incorrect pH to be effective but people still buy them. Of course the company's know better but if people buy the product anyway, why fix it?

Shes actually wrong about that. This cleanser has been very effective for me but my skin is dry and its peeling.

2. Paula Begoun's reviews are often wrong, based on outdated information, incorrect ingredient lists, and willful misinformation. Don't forget, she has a product to sell - downplaying the competition is the status quo.

I don't trust paula's reviews either, or I'd have to say I don't WANT to believe hers. I read her review on Sisly and I was like, what's the matter with her? Did Sisly do something really bad to her?? lol.. She criticizes almost every cosmetic brand harshly in her book and I think it secretly suggests it's her products that is perfect.

That is not true. There are certain brands (like Sisley, see below) that she generally criticizes for one reason or another. But for the most part, there are some good and some bad reviews found in each brand. When you are looking for a specific product, whether it be a BHA, moisturizer, cleanser, eyeshadow, etc...she always recommends a handful of specific products from different brands (in various price points), along with one of her own brand. And of course she is going to include one of her own brand because she did make it so it would have to meet the standards she uses to judge all products.

Here is the general review of the Sisley line that you referred to:

Flaunting its French pedigree and self-proclaimed expertise in the field of Phytocosmetology (an unregulated term that simply means using natural extracts in beauty products, something that hundreds of cosmetics companies do), Sisley Paris offers consumers incredibly expensive products that, for the money, amount to a whole lot of nothing. More than any other line reviewed in this book, Sisley Paris makes some of the most outrageously false claims, presumably to convince their clientele that not only are they more than just a cut above the rest, but that they deserve to be on their own natural pedestal, too.

Here are some of the more far-fetched claims this company makes, with my responses in parentheses. “The Botanical Floral Mist can help skin sustain the effects of the sun.†(No way, it doesn’t even contain appreciable amounts of antioxidants.) Another claim is that their All Day All Year moisturizer, which doesn’t contain sunscreen, blocks “90% of UVA and UVB rays for 8 hours.†(The FDA needs to step in and stop that nonsense!)

The company also claims that all of their products are subject to strict research to measure their efficacy, but of course, the results of the “research†are not available to the public, and Sisley’s counter personnel are quick to rebuff any questions about the validity of their claims. That’s not surprising, as there is no way most of the claims can be legitimately proven and, for the most part, Sisley salespeople are accustomed to well-heeled women simply believing everything they have to say about the products, pricing be damned.

What is perhaps most distressing is that the Sisley formulations are some of the most embarrassingly ordinary and insultingly overpriced I’ve seen. I can emphatically state that there is nothing in these products you can’t find at the drugstore from lines such as Nivea, Pond’s, Neutrogena, Dove, and Olay. Actually, those lines have products with far more interesting formulations than this one does. For those who prefer shopping in upscale department stores where Sisley resides, there are several other companies at the counters in those lofty areas that offer far better products than Sisley. For example, Chanel’s skin-care products are assuredly expensive, but at least some of their formulas approach state-of-the-art. The Lauder-owned lines seem cheap in comparison to Sisley, yet most of the Lauder products are far more advanced and formulated with current skin-care research in mind.

Note: All Sisley products contain fragrance, and I mean a lot of fragrance, unless otherwise noted.

That is not true. There are certain brands (like Sisley, see below) that she generally criticizes for one reason or another. But for the most part, there are some good and some bad reviews found in each brand. When you are looking for a specific product, whether it be a BHA, moisturizer, cleanser, eyeshadow, etc...she always recommends a handful of specific products from different brands (in various price points), along with one of her own brand. And of course she is going to include one of her own brand because she did make it so it would have to meet the standards she uses to judge all products.

Shes actually wrong about that. This cleanser has been very effective for me but my skin is dry and its peeling.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree and not derail the OPs thread any further. I have found the vast majority if Paula's reviews to be well researched and backed up by documented sources. When I want info on a product I look it up on her website first and then at reviews at MUA and make my decision based on a combination of both. I don't really see a less biased and more informed alternative for product reviews available out there, so I will continue using her website and am very glad that it's there.

OK..here's the list of 2% SA pad available.

Neutrogena Rapid Clear Daily Pad

Clean & Clear Advantage Daily Cleansing Pad

Clearassil Ultra Deep Cleansing Pad

Clearassil Daily Acne Control Pore Cleansing Pad

What do you think is the best?

or is there any good 2% SA product you'd recommend?