Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
energizer

what causes certain areas of the body to be immune to acne?

why do I get such severe acne, but forearms for example, I could live off ice cream and they remains clear. What is the science behind this?

It's a mystery to me. I occasionally get random whiteheads on various parts of my body, particularly my thighs for some reason. But as to why we get acne some places and not others, I'm not sure.

But if you ever get acne on your palms or the bottom of your feet, let us know, seeing as there are umm....no hair follicles there. =P

I know that certain types of hollistic medicines believe acne in certain areas is a sign of different things. You'd have to look it up but I believe it's traditonal medicine that believes that jawline acne and acne around the mouth is a sign of troubled digestion.

It's a mystery to me. I occasionally get random whiteheads on various parts of my body, particularly my thighs for some reason. But as to why we get acne some places and not others, I'm not sure.

I wouldnt give a damn if I had acne on my legs instead, it is weird how its only limited to faces for the most part (yes there are some cases of chest/back but not as common) and yes Ive seen the face chart with Forehead pertaining to a different problems as well as cheeks, chin, nose etc

I wouldnt give a damn if I had acne on my legs instead, it is weird how its only limited to faces for the most part (yes there are some cases of chest/back but not as common) and yes Ive seen the face chart with Forehead pertaining to a different problems as well as cheeks, chin, nose etc

I think its because the hormone receptors are overly sensitive on the spots where we get acne. Its the only logical explanation. I compare it to male baldness (caused by androgens), the pattern in which you loose hair is different for everyone.

Here's one of (many I guess) the explanations:

When Acne is isolated to areas it can help you understand your body better by indicating an internal problem. If you refer to the face map, you will see that where blemishes appear corresponds to the internal. For instance, pimples between the eyebrows indicate an overloaded liver. Smokers or those with allergies breakout in the cheek area because the upper cheek corresponds to the lungs. People who quit smoking also may start to break out in the lower cheeks as toxins are purging from the body.

The acne on the chin can indicate a hormonal imbalance. Many of my clients have breakouts on their chin when they go off the birth control pill.

The Forehead is gastro-intestinal system, that is affected by the overactive mind. While the jaw line refers to the adrenals + hormones (adrenaline is a hormone + the hormonal system is holistic as they will each affect one another).

Acne only occurs in areas that have oil glands: face, back, chest, upper arms, etc. There are no oil glands on the forearms. You need oil for acne, there no oil where there's no oil glands.

I read a study on rabbits where they were testing some comedone removal technique, and to induce comedones they swabbed oil in their ears, and comedones formed there. Just like that.

Acne only occurs in areas that have oil glands: face, back, chest, upper arms, etc. There are no oil glands on the forearms. You need oil for acne, there no oil where there's no oil glands.

I know that certain types of hollistic medicines believe acne in certain areas is a sign of different things. You'd have to look it up but I believe it's traditonal medicine that believes that jawline acne and acne around the mouth is a sign of troubled digestion.

I read a study on rabbits where they were testing some comedone removal technique, and to induce comedones they swabbed oil in their ears, and comedones formed there. Just like that.

generally, when a person has what looks like "acne" in an area with no oil glands, it's not really acne, it's folliculitis, in which the follicle the the hair comes out of gets inflamed or infected which can then look very much like acne, but it's not true acne. There are many skin conditions which resemble acne that are not true acne.

generally, when a person has what looks like "acne" in an area with no oil glands, it's not really acne, it's folliculitis, in which the follicle the the hair comes out of gets inflamed or infected which can then look very much like acne, but it's not true acne. There are many skin conditions which resemble acne that are not true acne.

Again...I'm thinking about what's the difference between Folliculitis and Acne since they can appear to be one in the same....inflammation of a pore. Upon doing a bit of research, this may help us with the confusion:

Acne comes in many forms, as can be seen in the kinds of conditions that can be classified under acne. Three common kinds of acne are: acne vulgaris, acne folliculitis, and acne rosacea. The causes behind these conditions are many and varied but they might all result into zits, papules, nodules, and an oily complexion.

The first type, acne vulgaris, is very common among teens. This condition coincides with the hormonal changes happening inside a teen's body and results into the usual zits and breakouts that sprout just before an exam or a date. Since this condition can be seen in areas jam-packed with hair follicles and oil glands, zits usually grow on the neck, chest, arms, and face.

Acne vulgaris can then be divided into further subtypes, depending on its severity. A mild kind of acne vulgaris can be distinguished through the existence of blackheads and whiteheads. Along with the comedones are pustules and papules – inflamed pores with a whitish top (commonly known as a pimple or zit).

A severe kind usually involves painful cysts and nodules. These types are the ones that could usually result into scars and lesions when not treated properly. Squeezing cysts and nodules is therefore asking for more trouble.

The second type of acne is folliculitis. This skin condition is commonly caused by bacteria and when you have this kind of condition, zits are more likely to appear on your legs, chest, face,and other areas that could have been affected by friction induced by a tight-fitting outfit or a skin injury such as ingrown hairs. A rare kind of folliculitis is the one caused by fungi. This rare condition could be due to exposure to water contaminated by the fungi.

Usually mistaken as acne vulgaris, acne rosacea is another common kind. In this condition, adults who are more than 30 years old are the common victims, resulting into reddish cheeks, forehead, and nose. The reddening of the said areas are usually induced by spicy dishes, hot drinks, and exposure to UV rays. Aside from the redness of the affected area, pimples also emerge, and the inflamed nose could lead to rhinophyma (severe inflammation or external swelling of a nose, making it “bulbousâ€).

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Many-Types-O...a&id=642776

That's a lot of great information.

This statement stood out for me though: "Acne can be caused by so many things that it would be impossible for people of all ages not to have it."

If that's the case, how is it that there are entire cultures with no incidence of acne whatsoever? This has been observed many times in places all over the world. That's not to say they didn't have infections of the skin occasionally, but theywere not acne.

Here's a factor, from this thread:

DHT is produced from testosterone within peripheral tissues such as the skin

by the action of the 5a -reductase enzyme. Two isozymes of 5a -reductase have been

identified (19). The type 1 isozyme is active within the sebaceous gland (20,21). The

type 2 isozyme is most active in the prostate gland, where it can be inhibited by

drugs such as finasteride. Activity of 5a-reductase and 17b -HSD exhibits regional

differences depending upon the source of the sebaceous glands (9). In skin that is

prone to acne, such as facial skin, activity of the type 1 5a-reductase in sebaceous

glands is greater than in sebaceous glands obtained from nonacne-prone skin

(20). This implies that more DHT is being produced in sebaceous glands from

facial skin compared with other areas of the body that are not prone to develop

acne. The net effect of the activity of these two enzymes is the greater production

of potent androgens such as testosterone and DHT within sebaceous glands of

facial areas, which may in part account for the development of acne in these areas.