Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

haha whenever i take it at work they always joke and say that i am trying to commit suicide on pills. A combination of dairy elimination and glucommannan should see most people clear up like I did. If not I suggest avoiding liquids straight after meals as a secondary option. Also remember to break the caps into your mouth before you swallow. Not breaking the caps may result in a delayed gelling that misses the insulin spike curbing process.

This weekend is the two week mark for me. I do believe it works better for me than the PGX all the way around. It's also easier to take because I don't have to wait and wait before I eat. I'm also more regular now than I was while taking PGX.

I'm going to continue to use it. I've no intention of ever giving up my cereal again, so I'll always use it in the morning for breakfast, at the very least. And on those occasions when I'm out with friends and want to eat with them, I can take it, too.

Does anyone here take the powder with them to restaurants, etc....? I went to an amusement park and got freaked because a worker saw me put it in my water when we all sat down to eat and was telling a manager about it. They never approached me to inquire about it, but they took my tray after I was finished.

lol, I brought some with me to a restaurant, and mixed it with me water, and didn't get it all down before it gelled, so I had this glass full of gel sitting there, and so I had no choice but to finish it with a spoon. So I 'm eating a spoonful of it, and the waitress walks by, and notices me with this glass of clear goo, and me about to take a bite, and she stops, and cocks her head, looking disturbed and confused. So I had to say, "It's a fiber supplement", and then she looked relieved, and said "Oh, ok...", but she still looked a little perplexed. I also felt a little weird after lunch, when my gel coated glass was left there on the table. I could just imagine the dishwasher in the back going, "What the...?"

Is there any possibility that taking this powder could result in yeast growth or candida? Recently I've had a series of dermatitis and even though I've been told it's a response to an allergic reaction, I'm not sure if there is a connection to my intake of the g-powder.

Update:

I visited a dietitian and she told me that she likes the idea of taking a soluble fiber..but because it may be causing some problems I'm having, to reduce it to once a day. Most curiously she recommended me taking it before I go to bed as opposed to before meals...Granted she wasn't familiar with the g-powder, but would this be bad?

Lastly, I'm wondering how long does one have to take g-powder until he/she can stop?

Update:

I visited a dietitian and she told me that she likes the idea of taking a soluble fiber..but because it may be causing some problems I'm having, to reduce it to once a day. Most curiously she recommended me taking it before I go to bed as opposed to before meals...Granted she wasn't familiar with the g-powder, but would this be bad?

Lastly, I'm wondering how long does one have to take g-powder until he/she can stop?

taking it with meals prevents the insulin spike that you get when you consume carbs so taking it anywhere more then 45 mins before a meal would prove it ineffective IMO

Is there any possibility that taking this powder could result in yeast growth or candida? Recently I've had a series of dermatitis and even though I've been told it's a response to an allergic reaction, I'm not sure if there is a connection to my intake of the g-powder.

Not sure if you got the idea from my post above about this topic but to me it would make sense. candida will feed off of undigested food no matter if its carbs, proteins, whatever. Since this stuff basically prevents digestion in the stomach all of this undigested/partially digested food will become perfect food for the yeast. ALl I know is that my tongue got coated when I used the stuff, and feel like some of my candida related symptoms got worse. I think its a very good possibility that is what caused your falre up but hey im no scientist

Sleaman,

That could be, though I'm not sure if this theory is indeed what actually occurs...Nonetheless I've cut back my intake to just once a day and I'm taking macrobiotics to help...I'm also going to get a blood test to see if I'm allergic to any foods.

Any updates from people who have been taking the powder for at least a month? Your results?

All the time. I use it twice a day - once for breakfast and for dinner. I'm eating cereal every morning, and I've eaten a ton of fruit in the past month or so. I've also had pieces of bread with my meals, and snacked on frosted animal cookies here and there.

The only major breakout I've had was due to stress over the past weekend - a nodule on my chin.

Tuesday I started it back up & have been eating shit (Cheerios, Blueberry Pancakes, Peanut Butter, Pizza everyday at work for Lunch, Rice, Heavy Cream etc.) & have been clearing up..... I've been taking 4 Grams of Glucomannan w/ each meal (4 or 5 meals) a day

I'll keep this updated but my skin is improving VERY nicely

Recently I took an ALCAT test which tests for all kinds of food and substance intolerance.

An intolerance is not necessarily an allergy; food intolerances causes a reaction in the digestive system as opposed to an immune system reaction...Sometimes a food does cause an allergic reaction, which is severe. However intolerances such as being lactose intolerant causes lesser symptoms such as gas, bloating, diarrhea.

Anyhow, I found out I am severely intolerant to cane sugar but moderately gluten intolerant to many foods which includes chicken, carrots, and rice just to name a few commonly perceived "good" foods. My dietitian thinks that once I improve the condition of my digestive track by not eating gluten, taking pro-bio tics, and etc, some of my lesser food intolerances will disappear.

I think there is a strong connection between consuming the g-powder and its effects of lining or repairing the linings of the intestines to be able to handle food intolerances. Because everybody is intolerant to different foods, this can explain why some people still break out after eating all the "right" foods. Afterall, the ALCAT also said I'm moderately intolerant of apples, grapes, avacado...there's a big list for me...but again, maybe gluten is the biggest culprit.

I hope this helps and sheds light on this subject.

I just bought a new bag of the powder and found that this mix seems to gel instantly when in contact with water. As a result chunks of gelled pieces form..Is it ok to swallow it? Has anybody else encountered this type of instant gelling?

Recently I took an ALCAT test which tests for all kinds of food and substance intolerance.

An intolerance is not necessarily an allergy; food intolerances causes a reaction in the digestive system as opposed to an immune system reaction...Sometimes a food does cause an allergic reaction, which is severe. However intolerances such as being lactose intolerant causes lesser symptoms such as gas, bloating, diarrhea.

Anyhow, I found out I am severely intolerant to cane sugar but moderately gluten intolerant to many foods which includes chicken, carrots, and rice just to name a few commonly perceived "good" foods. My dietitian thinks that once I improve the condition of my digestive track by not eating gluten, taking pro-bio tics, and etc, some of my lesser food intolerances will disappear.

I think there is a strong connection between consuming the g-powder and its effects of lining or repairing the linings of the intestines to be able to handle food intolerances. Because everybody is intolerant to different foods, this can explain why some people still break out after eating all the "right" foods. Afterall, the ALCAT also said I'm moderately intolerant of apples, grapes, avacado...there's a big list for me...but again, maybe gluten is the biggest culprit.

I hope this helps and sheds light on this subject.

An update: I previously did not notice acne reduction using glucomannan and had an allergic reaction to the powder on my throat. I believe that the powder didn't work for me, because I had leaky gut caused by candida and my intestinal wall was beyond the power of being helped by glucomannan.

I have been on the strictest candida diet and been doing a parasite cleanse for one month. Because my diet does not allow fruit, dairy, legumes, or grains, I obviously developed a food craving the other day. (By the way the die off has been terrible--worse than the flu). The only "unhealthy" thing I had in the house was millet.

As some might remember I am allergic to unsoaked grains and intolerant to most soaked grains which I know is ridiculous. I was too hungry to soak the millet for 7 hours as ususal. So I decided to use the glucomannan prior to eating them unsoaked. This did not prevent my allergies or intolerances in the past. My result was a dramatic reduction in nose itching, eye dryness, and 90% reduction in sore throat that would normally have resulted from eating millet that had not been soaked 7 hours. I still got acne from the millet though. I have now been using glucomannan to digest fats. Obviously, my diet and antifungals are the real reason that I can now see a slight improvement with glucomanan. But I wanted to share that leaky gut syndrome and candida could be why this doesn't work for everyone.

I'm not sure if it's inhibiting the absorption of nutrients, because from what has been posted before in this thread, the fiber should actually be good for you...I think it may have more to do with the lack of carbs..but I still willing to consider the former possibility because for breakfast I had hashbrowns, eggs, and an english muffin and I was hungry two hours later...But I do eat a lot so maybe I just didn't eat enough the first time...

Btw, I just finished a month and so far I still get breakouts, but they're more minor and don't mature as they normally do...Still I wish I wouldn't get any...Does anybody know if the effects of taking this powder peaks after x-number of weeks? Or does it keep improving over time?

I just stumbled onto this thread and decided to give glucommanan a try. After doing some research I found some information about nutrient absorption interference. I've seen other articles to back this claim.

According to Applied Health

"Konjac glucomannan may reduce fat-soluble vitamin absorption while removing bile acids in humans. The absorption of vitamin E (alpha acetate) was reduced following administration of glucomannan. However, glucomannan did not interfere with the absorption of water soluble, fat-insoluble vitamin B-12 (mecobalamin)."

Other fat-soluable vitamins not mentioned in the above article are A, D, and K.

I believe it is important to take supplements at least a couple of hours before and/or after eating glucomannan.

I, myself, have just started taking it and am looking forward to seeing results!

I'm not sure if it's inhibiting the absorption of nutrients, because from what has been posted before in this thread, the fiber should actually be good for you...I think it may have more to do with the lack of carbs..but I still willing to consider the former possibility because for breakfast I had hashbrowns, eggs, and an english muffin and I was hungry two hours later...But I do eat a lot so maybe I just didn't eat enough the first time...

Btw, I just finished a month and so far I still get breakouts, but they're more minor and don't mature as they normally do...Still I wish I wouldn't get any...Does anybody know if the effects of taking this powder peaks after x-number of weeks? Or does it keep improving over time?

I just stumbled onto this thread and decided to give glucommanan a try. After doing some research I found some information about nutrient absorption interference. I've seen other articles to back this claim.

According to Applied Health

"Konjac glucomannan may reduce fat-soluble vitamin absorption while removing bile acids in humans. The absorption of vitamin E (alpha acetate) was reduced following administration of glucomannan. However, glucomannan did not interfere with the absorption of water soluble, fat-insoluble vitamin B-12 (mecobalamin)."

Other fat-soluable vitamins not mentioned in the above article are A, D, and K.

I believe it is important to take supplements at least a couple of hours before and/or after eating glucomannan.

I, myself, have just started taking it and am looking forward to seeing results!

Yeah I always wait a while before taking my vitamins anyway. I dont think that it inhibits vitamin absorption but just to be safe.

Just ordered some today (Lili's brand), and had one quick question.

This is sort of something I can use as a spot treatment right? I don't want to be taking three teaspoons a day because i'm already underweight due to my anti-acne diet i've been on (i'm 5'11 and 116). So, this isn't something that needs to be consistently taken over a length of time to see results when eating right? Say I have 3 bad meals a week, if I use it just during those 3 times will it still likely prevent most of the bad effects (assuming it works for me)?

Skiz, it depends if the insulin spike is the big contributor to your acne. You could be gluten intolerant, which could be the source, among other things.

I'm pretty sure i'm not gluten intolerent as I can have complex carbs (pasta with gluten) and be fine since they are low glycemic.

Well i bought some today but I'm definitely not going to go crazy and eat a chocolate bar with pizza... I'm going to give pasta a shot and see how it goes. I'll report results later.

Well I tried it out last night... I took about 1.75 g with capsules but opened them before swallowing. 10 min later i had lots of pasta with some sauce. Now the sauce usually does more damage than pasta alone but I woke up this morning to find nothing new... whoever found this is a genious. Try it if you are breaking out from some foods.

:dance:

Well I tried it out last night... I took about 1.75 g with capsules but opened them before swallowing. 10 min later i had lots of pasta with some sauce. Now the sauce usually does more damage than pasta alone but I woke up this morning to find nothing new... whoever found this is a genious. Try it if you are breaking out from some foods.

:dance:

Keep us updated if you decide to try anything worse (like Pizza or chocolate).

I should be getting mine in the mail tomorrow, though i'm not sure what to experiment with yet.

But man, only 1.75 G worked for you which must be nice. If i'm to follow Lili's instructions, then i'd be taking 1 tsp (5 grams) before a high (quick) carb meal.

One more comment:

I saw on the site I bought from that it gels slower with the colder the water, so I wonder what temp. of water we should take it with. Room temp. probably (so it gels normal)?.