Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i've been looking for some fiber so i can have a more healthy anus for anal sex, but what a big plus that adding fiber into my diet may help with my acne as well :)

you know, if you go to vitacost.com (this is where i buy all my supplements, CHEAPEST price around, $5 shipping for any size, overnight, highly recommended).. anyway as i was saying, if you log onto that website and type in "FIBER" in the search bar, it will automatically give you results ranked from "most popular/purchased."

NSI Glucomannan -- 2,000 mg per serving - 180 Capsules

shows up as the first product with just searching the general key word "fiber."

read the reviews on it, there are 50+ of them. it's apparently well known, and safe to ingest as a capsule.

people are raving about it in reviews saying that it curbs appetite and helps you lose weight since you are not eating as much cuz it keeps you full.

i just ordered a bulk of glucomannan just now.

So does it generally lessen the impact of all foods on acne or just refined sugars?

I am ordinarily very sensitive to my diet, even things that aren't refined sugars or refined carbs, like almonds for example, would make me break out, or even dark chocolate. That has always been my biggest problem. Even when my overall diet was extremely low in sugar/carbs (I even accidentally went into ketosis at one point), I still had acne. This fiber has made it so I could eat essentially anything, and not break out, which, for me particularly, is pretty impressive. I had a post I made a while back where I was feeling really down about that particular problem of mine, and this fiber seems to have solved it. So in my case, I can say that it does seem to fix my sensitivity to foods in general, not only sugars and carbs.

LiliVG, I know you say you typically take this before every meal, but what if you are eating something completely healthy, like baked chicken and vegetables?

Also, should you still avoid taking it within 2 hours of taking other supplements?

Thanks again for all your help.

In my case because I've always been so sensitive to practically everything I ate, I just took it right before every meal, just so I wouldn't be wondering, "is this an ok meal...is that?" And that way it's just a routine, you don't even really think about, you just do it. For most people, chicken and veggies and probably fine, but soluble fiber has benefits on it's own, acne aside, such as increasing nutrient absorption by increasing the pH of the intestinal tract, increasing the thickness of the layer that protects the intestinal walls, etc. So I just make a habit of always taking it so I don't have to analyze every meal, and I know I'm doing something good for my GI tract at the same time.

To be safe, I'd still keep the pills and medications separate from the fiber supplement. Pills especially because if your stomach contents are gelled up, the pill has no free liquid to dissolve into. So it would stay in one piece, unavailable to be absorbed.

LiliVG- another interesting post of yours! THANX! Was also wondering if you've seen this post about combo fiber and probiotics for clearing skin, and your opinion. Also, are you off the Taurine with the pregnancy? It's kind of hard to keep up with what you're doing and changing around. :think:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/a-combina...er-t187542.html

I've seen a thread on the fiber/probiotic combo, I don't remember if it was that specific thread or not. But soluble fiber and probiotics are a very good combo because it's the bacteria in the gut that breaks down the soluble fiber further down in the GI tract, allowing the nutrients to be released and absorbed. In addition to that, when the bacteria ferment the soluble fiber, they also produce specific fatty acids that are very healthy for the intestines. So it is a healthy combo for sure.

I have no doubt that's been hard to keep track of my changes, I had to change things just to make sure I was being safe for my pregnancy. At this very moment, I'm mostly taking Vitamin d and folic acid, and when the morning sickness passes, I'll be back on the fiber. The texture is making me gag right now even though it doesn't ordinarily, lol. And with peppermint tea, just the smell makes me nearly gag, so taking it for the morning sickness like I had planned hasn't worked out too well, lol. So, once the morning sickness passes, I'll be mainly relying on the soluble fiber and vitamin D, and folic acid for my pregnancy, and that's it.

Thanx for the reply and all the work, research and posts you've done on the org.! You're great and I hope your pregnancy goes well, hang in there thru the morning sickness. You'll make it!! :comfort::hifive:

So does it generally lessen the impact of all foods on acne or just refined sugars?

I am ordinarily very sensitive to my diet, even things that aren't refined sugars or refined carbs, like almonds for example, would make me break out, or even dark chocolate. That has always been my biggest problem. Even when my overall diet was extremely low in sugar/carbs (I even accidentally went into ketosis at one point), I still had acne. This fiber has made it so I could eat essentially anything, and not break out, which, for me particularly, is pretty impressive. I had a post I made a while back where I was feeling really down about that particular problem of mine, and this fiber seems to have solved it. So in my case, I can say that it does seem to fix my sensitivity to foods in general, not only sugars and carbs.

Right on sister.

I was also very impressed. It was like a giant burden had finally been lifted off my shoulders and I could now eat carefree in social circumstances. No-one likes being the person at the table who gets ridiculed because they can't eat 85% of the menu.

SO wouldn't you suspect that it is in fact interfering with nutrient absorption since you can eat foods your are sensitive to and not react? I mean, those foods should still cause a reaction if the nutrients are being released, right? I can see how slowing insulin spikes could elimintae symptoms, but if you react to nuts and now with this fiber you don't, then that would only suggest that the foods are being passed through without relaesing nutrients etc. Sorry if thats ignorant or dumb, but i just do not see how this wold work otherwise, any explanation?

I'm curious about that as well. The only conclusion I can come to is you just aren't absorbing these foods, therefore you aren't reacting as you would without the fiber. I believe this can be helpful to curb insulin spikes with carby meals, but overall I remain skeptical about how nutritious a diet like this can be, especially in the long term.

From Wikipedia-"Fiber does not bind to minerals and vitamins and therefore does not restrict their absorption, but rather evidence exists that fermentable fiber sources improve absorption of minerals, especially calcium.[38][39] Some plant foods can reduce the absorption of minerals and vitamins like calcium, zinc, vitamin C and magnesium, but this is caused by the presence of phytate (which is also thought to have important health benefits), not by fiber.[40]"

From Wikipedia-"Fiber does not bind to minerals and vitamins and therefore does not restrict their absorption, but rather evidence exists that fermentable fiber sources improve absorption of minerals, especially calcium.[38][39] Some plant foods can reduce the absorption of minerals and vitamins like calcium, zinc, vitamin C and magnesium, but this is caused by the presence of phytate (which is also thought to have important health benefits), not by fiber.[40]"

alright, but i still dont get why foods that someone is sensitive to would no longer affect them though. it just seems like the food is never being broken down. Fiber itself may not bind to vitamins and minerals, but if the food is never digested, releasing those vitamins, then there would be no absorption. Get what I'm saying? I'm not trying to be negative or argumentative, just trying to understand.

alright, but i still dont get why foods that someone is sensitive to would no longer affect them though. it just seems like the food is never being broken down. Fiber itself may not bind to vitamins and minerals, but if the food is never digested, releasing those vitamins, then there would be no absorption. Get what I'm saying? I'm not trying to be negative or argumentative, just trying to understand.

I get where your coming from. Acne is multi-factoral and it seems that two factors for LiliVG are insulin resistance and maybe some sensitivities. High insulin causes high Igf-1 and other androgens and inflammation that cause hyperproliferation and keratinization of the follicle opening and increased sebum production. Maybe the sensitivities just added to this primary cause, but are not enough to cause acne by itself while the insulin and corresponding factors are suppressed by the fiber.

btw, this study by Loren Cordain who wrote "The Dietary Cure for Acne" shows two cultures who have ZERO acne and their corresponding diets and high insulin sensitivity/low plasma insulin. It also explains very thoroughly the link between insulin and acne. Follow the links to the studies he refers to and u can learn even more, like this study that proves that post-adolescent women with acne have higher insulin responses to a dose of glucose.

The way I understood it from reading up on these types of fiber is that it slows down the rate of absorption. So instead of your body getting that insulin spike from the bad foods right away, the fiber makes it so it gets spread out more slowly over a longer period of time so you don't get that immediate spike.

right, but wat he was asking was how could it stop the breakout from other foods like almonds that don't cause a spike in insulin or blood glucose in the first place.

btw, sleaman, u would definitely know if things were not being digested as ur poop would look like trail mix and u would have deathly gas from the over-fermentaion in the colon!

Interesting. I wonder if one would become dependent on this fiber or if somehow you could ween yourself off after improved insulin sensitivity or even a healed gut (assuming leaky gut issues).

The way I understood it from reading up on these types of fiber is that it slows down the rate of absorption. So instead of your body getting that insulin spike from the bad foods right away, the fiber makes it so it gets spread out more slowly over a longer period of time so you don't get that immediate spike.

right, but wat he was asking was how could it stop the breakout from other foods like almonds that don't cause a spike in insulin or blood glucose in the first place.

btw, sleaman, u would definitely know if things were not being digested as ur poop would look like trail mix and u would have deathly gas from the over-fermentaion in the colon!

LOL! Define "deathly" gas >.>

Glucomannan was featured in a recent issue of men's health. The article said it controls blood sugar. But they recommended eating it in a noodle form...

LOL! Define "deathly" gas >.>

potent and warm full of methane and sulphuric gasses like rotten eggs run for cover and wear a gas mask :hand: ....sorry, couldn't resist,lol!!

People only break out from things like almonds when they have a leaky gut. Soluble fiber lines the walls and over time repairs a leaky gut by giving your insides enough time and relief to heal.

People only break out from things like almonds when they have a leaky gut. Soluble fiber lines the walls and over time repairs a leaky gut by giving your insides enough time and relief to heal.

Ok, but it started working immediately for LilliVG im pretty sure, and repairing a leaky gut takes a while. Glutamine is supposed to b the best for leaky gut and ive been taking that 4 months.

Ok, but it started working immediately for LilliVG im pretty sure, and repairing a leaky gut takes a while. Glutamine is supposed to b the best for leaky gut and ive been taking that 4 months.

oh yeah it works immediately no doubt about that as I have also experienced immediate results (see the pgx thread for pics) but what the gel does is helps food to stay on path and not leak out. It's pretty awesome.

To be safe, I'd still keep the pills and medications separate from the fiber supplement. Pills especially because if your stomach contents are gelled up, the pill has no free liquid to dissolve into. So it would stay in one piece, unavailable to be absorbed.

hmm...that presents an interesting problem then. If ideally you should take glucomannan before each meal, but at the same time you should take food with your supplements, what's the best way to go about balancing this.

I usually take my supplements with my largest meals (breakfast and dinner), but I guess that should no longer be the case

I preferred to take before meal it gives better result. I have been using this product for 3 months I’ve to lose 50 pounds after eating Glucomannan I lost my 15 pounds every month. I take three capsules before mealtimes with full glass of water. Glucomannan help to regulate the body and seems very natural.

I was reading about glucomannan & understand how it would help acne sufferers with sweet foods but not dairy or nuts. Also after all the collective research on this forum which was done on how sugar and dairy are inflammatory foods, it is odd that people are reporting that glucomannan allows the body not to react negatively in any way to these foods even if acne does clear up. Maybe this supports the leaky gut theory.

One study has been published on glucomannan reducing eczema lesions in mice. Eczema relates to GI health as well and is triggered by similar acne breakout foods including dairy and wheat.

Since glucomannan attracts 200 times it own weight in water you could definitely choke on this stuff and the powder mixed with water option sounds more reasonable than the capsules.

Honestly, I do not know exactly how it is that it seems to buffer against sensitivities that aren't sugar-related, I wish I did. I do not believe it prevents nutrient absorption because 1) the studies say that soluble fiber increases, not decreases, nutrient absorption through the fermentation process, and 2) soluble fiber is actually recommended by doctors for pregnant women, when nutrition is more important than ever. I cannot imagine doctors recommending supplementation of something that would impair nutrient absorption, and during pregnancy of all times.

I did read that study on glucomannan improving eczema, very impressive :)

All I know is, I tested this glucomannan to the limit, I ate wheat bread every day, with peanut butter, I ate chocolate every day, I mean, I really pushed it, and then, on top of that, I ordered in Pizza from Dominos, and I went to Taco Bell. Through all that, I did not break out. The only thing I didn't test was soda, but I did drink fruit juice. There were two occasions when I got one pimple, which was when I didn't take the fiber at my meal, and both times within 2 days I got a pimple. It's so clear to me, there's No Way I could have eaten all those things ordinarily and not broken out, just no way at all. The precise mechanism, I don't know, but it's awesome nonetheless!

Hey Lili, you think you could take some before pictures, and if you continue down this path, lets say for two months, then post some after shots? Not that the pictures are required proof it's working, it's more for motivational purposes.

I'm really interested in this because it seems like I may have a leaky gut and I would really like to find a method to heal it while not having to be so restrictive with my diet. I ate an orange the other day and developed a couple big sore spots, one on my chin and one on my scalp. They never came to a head and went away relatively quickly but I can't believe I have a sensitivity to oranges, it's getting ridiculous, lol.