Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SmashhRockss

Glycolic Peels

I just found out on my Derm's website that they do Glycolic Peels and I heard some talk about them around here that they help with red marks. I don't have my next follow up until the 22nd of April so I wanna get some questions answered here and ask what ever questions I still have left when I go back.

Can any just give me thorough reply of what exactly Glycolic Peels are, they're uses, success rate, side effects, if they're just a temporary solution to red marks or permanent solution, and anything else you feel I should know about them.

Oh and also, what's the difference between OTC Glycolic peels, to peels that you would get done by a professional.

Thanks!

Glycolic Peels are highly-concentrated forms of Glycolic Acid in a solution you apply to your face like any other topical treatment (except with a cotton ball). The acid is left there for 2-6 mins and then washed off. The high % of acid helps stimulate turnover for skin cells and improves both minor scarring and red marks.

There is a stickied thread here that discusses different solutions to red marks. Lactic Acid is actually recommended over Glycolic Acid to tread hyper pigmentation (red marks) and due to its mild nature, is recommended for first-time users.

I, personally have JUST applied (~5 mins ago) my fourth or fifth 40% Lactic Acid Peel. I am just now starting to see some significant results with my red marks. I bought it from PureDeming (link is in thread).

OTC peels are generally less potent (meaning lower %acid) than prescription peels, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't work for you. Usually, they are very high % glycolic acid peels and are only recommended to experienced glycolic acid users with significant scarring... I don't think they would apply in your case. At any rate, you can achieve very real results with OTC peels so do not dismiss them entirely.

I just found out on my Derm's website that they do Glycolic Peels and I heard some talk about them around here that they help with red marks. I don't have my next follow up until the 22nd of April so I wanna get some questions answered here and ask what ever questions I still have left when I go back.

Can any just give me thorough reply of what exactly Glycolic Peels are, they're uses, success rate, side effects, if they're just a temporary solution to red marks or permanent solution, and anything else you feel I should know about them.

Oh and also, what's the difference between OTC Glycolic peels, to peels that you would get done by a professional.

Thanks!

Interesting.

Tech99, your saying those improvements are permanent improvements right?

And also, does it increase your sensitivity to the sun permanently or just for a while due to the peel?

You said you had experience with Glycolic Peels, so could you give me an idea of how strong I should start off with?

Here's a thread with pics of my red marks.

They've gotten a bit better since then.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2230551

I've had red marks close to two years now, and I'm wondering if doing a peel will help them fade faster cause I don't know if what I'm doing now *points to sig* is really working. Its doing good for keeping me breaking out which I don't really break out anymore but these frigging red marks I swear.

I did a series of peels, which was capped off with an 80% Glycolic Acid peel, about a year ago. The other peels worked, but this 80% Glycolic was pretty tight. The red marks didn't dissapear by any stretch, but improvement was seen. The main thing though, was that after that, I started to see significant improvement in my skin. Of course, it came back and now I'm on accutane. But peels do work, though in varying degrees of succes; ie. some see a lot of redness go away, some see little (I was in the middle).

I'm not going to lie though, this peel hurt. Kind of felt like hell had chosen my face to relocate to. In fact, I don't think I've ever felt a burn like that in my life. The next week and a half, my face was extremely dry and peeling, and generally nasty.

Despite the side-effects, I'd still reccomend a peel if you think you can handle the pain.

PS. Remember, this was an 80% Glycolic. It was about the strongest peel my derm offered, so don't think all peels are a as severe.

Thanks!

^ Thanks.

I haven't heard anything about it burning so Im glad you mentioned that.

Im not really concerned about how much its gonna burn or anything, I just want something that will dramatically help my red marks.

The burning is normal but anything about like I think 5 out of 10 is not good and you should lower the concentration. Also, don't cleanse or use any topicals or anything the day of and after a glycolic peel.

The peels sound really scary lol. How can you people actually manage to go through 2 weeks looking like a burn victim? You mean you stay completely indoors for the period?

Thanks!

I havent read all of the other posts, but just wanted to tell you my experience. I have done the OTC peels, lots of them, and had them done at a salon. That was nothing compared to the one my derm did. My face peeled DRAMATICALLY...like having a bad sunburn and my skin cracked and peeled about three times over 3-4 days. I loved it. It left a new layer of smoother skin and I can tell it got down into the pores. It burns ALOT while its on and after it comes off, but its worth it. I have only had one at the derm and Im hoping he plans to do more.

Yea it does sound more like a TCA Peel, which I'm about to do in a week or 2. As for glycolic acid peel, I have no idea but I'm currently doing lactic acid peel and it's milder than glycolic. You do feel a bit of burning sensation when you first put it on but then it quickly goes away. I did about 3 peels and it does seem like its improvign my red marks/hyperpigmentation. I hoping to do 2-3 more lactic acid peels then move on to 12 % TCA peel. I'll update my progress after each peel if you guys want.