Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here we go, My Accutane Log

Hi Guys,

When I started tane I wasn't going to do a log or anything, but ive decided it would simply be a good way of keeping track of the good and the bad. So my apologies, the first 4 days will be posted at the same time.

Me:

• 21 years old
  • Male, Caucasian
  • 80kg (~179 pounds)
  • Fit, Active, Healthy

Tried treatments so far:

• Various over the counter topical's
  • Full topical systems
  • Doxycyline
  • Differin
  • 5% Benzoyl Peroxide Gel

Problem Areas

• Shoulders and Back
  • Chest
  • Cheeks and Jawline, under my ears
  • Neck
  • little spot right between my eyes

Was skeptical to start accutane because my acne isn't THAT bad. And also, my sister was one of the 'freak' cases with bad side effects...

Today I saw my derm for the first time. Went to get my blood tests and sign a contract saying i'll stop if I have suicidal thoughts etc. And bingo, I can start. My derm tends to prescribe half the normal dose for the first month so you get used to the drug. That puts me at 30mg for the first month, with a 5 and a half month course.

DAY 1

Well I took my first pill today. I am on 30mg, so that means one pill on odd calender days and two on even calender days. Today is the 31st, so I guess that means i'll only take 1 pill for the first two days.

I was nervous beforehand, but down the hatch. 30 mins later I had slight nausea. However its possible this was just due to nervousness.

I tend to have a lead stomach and I an usually very tolerant of medications.

DAY 2

I dont feel any different, perhaps even slightly more chirpy and cheery, because I know something is finally being done about my acne.

I have put on some chapstick on my lips before bed and in the morning after breakfast. Even though my lips dont feel any different. Tastes and smells good anyhow!

Just one pill again today. I take them at night, just after dinner.

DAY 3

Wondering if I am suppose to notice any change? Is it working? I am on a low dose.. maybe its just not effecting me enough to feel side effects. Still have zero side effects. But still applying chapstick before bed and after breakfast. Maybe this is hiding the chapped lips side effect.

Had a couple of beers. And I mean just two. With dinner. I do drink quite a bit, and I also tend to binge some weekends. I actually think beer makes my skin better, but not with the lifestyle that goes with it (especially the hangover mcdonalds ;-)). I dont think the same about sugar filled RTDs though.

I take two pills tonight, so im thinking maybe I'll feel something different tomorrow. Thats still only 40mg though.

DAY 4

Still feel zero side effects. My neck is a bit itchy? But I sometimes get that anyway. This is strange, I dont know if its good or bad! What if my body is rejecting it and its not going to work!

I went for a training row this morning. Pushed my self to the limit as usual. Didn't feel anything different about it.

My derm told me two things were a no-no that was: Lifting large weights (weight training, body building) and Rugby. Rowing however is non-contact, and you don't encounter MASSIVE strains. Dont get me wrong, you work hard, and are absolutely mothered afterward! But you cant compare it to weight lifting where you are doing short bursts of massive strain.

Apparently I wont be able to perform at my peak? Well, I guess I am going to find that out.

One of my plans was to bulk up a bit for next season. Well that might have to wait. We will see.

On another note, don't know if there is any improvement in my skin. I definitely still have acne, esp on my back and neck, and some have new whiteheads to them. But haven't really noticed any huge new ones.

Just the one pill tonight.

Trust me, it's working. If there's no side-effects, be happy. You are, as you say, on a low dose so you probably won't experience some huge changes in either direction until you up your dose. I think your derm has made the right decision. I started off on 60mg a day, and the first 10 days were a living hell. Not fun at all, really :)

Anyways. You should try to stay away from the beers during weekdays if possible. I know your dinner won't be the same, but I guess you have to sacrifice something, heh.

I disagree that weightlifting should be a no-go whatsoever. Just work out with a higher volume, meaning lighter weights and more reps/sets.

Trust me, it's working. If there's no side-effects, be happy. You are, as you say, on a low dose so you probably won't experience some huge changes in either direction until you up your dose. I think your derm has made the right decision. I started off on 60mg a day, and the first 10 days were a living hell. Not fun at all, really :)

Anyways. You should try to stay away from the beers during weekdays if possible. I know your dinner won't be the same, but I guess you have to sacrifice something, heh.

I disagree that weightlifting should be a no-go whatsoever. Just work out with a higher volume, meaning lighter weights and more reps/sets.

Hey 250, I read your log and found it quite interesting. I actually got the idea for my username from you heh.

Yeah I know I should stop the beers. But to me it feels like if im not binge drinking then it shouldnt do much harm. What can i say. I like beer.

You are right in saying that weights are ok, but more as a toning thing, like you say with lighter weights and more reps. However if you want to 'bulk up' you want heavy weight with like 6 reps. Apparently the high stress stuff will leave you with severe muscle and joint pain. (Though im thinking, if you work out hard enough then you get this anyway:P)

DAY 5

Still havent really noticed any side effects, apart from perhaps a bit of itchiness under my ears near my jaw.

Have noticed the pimples on my back have pushed themselves out to whiteheads though. This usually takes forever cause they are so deep.

Waiting for some side effects to hit me like a bus >.>

DAY 6

Spent all day at the beach today. Wore sunskin, and even though it was overcast conditions I still got very slightly sunburnt, nothing to worry about though.

The acne on my face doesnt look quite so 'angry' anymore. There are more and more whiteheads popping up on my neck and back though

Day 7

It was my birthday yesterday! So I did go out last night and get hammered... And then I spent all day today wakeboarding. I can tell I will sunburn really easily, so I just take extra care with sunblock etc.

Still cant really say that I have felt any side effects worth noting. And thats a week down, so going good.

Had a small breakout today. My skin is basically the same as it was before I started I guess you could say.

DAY 8

Finally hit my first side-effects! My upper lip dried right up and was a little flakey, nothing too bad though. A bit of dandruff is flaring up too.

Im super sore today from all the activity in the past few days, hard to say if it is any worse due to the tane though.

Still breaking out a bit but the pimples on my face seem to disapeer quicker. My back is still a mess.

DAY 9

Yup, chaffing on my lips continues, but I can quite easily manage it with lip balm. Not much else has changed. I think face is starting to clear up but hard to say.

My muscle soreness from the weekend is getting better like it normally would after a lot of activity so all is good!

DAY 11

Ok im only gonna update if something interesting happens cause nobody wants to hear about boring crap.

I was in class today and I lick my lips and taste blood... turns out my lips are bleeding! Didn't expect that at all. But I guess I hadn't been paying much attention to them for half a day.

Also getting a bit of chaffing around the edges of my nose.

Just recovering from the worst blisters ever from rowing. My skin has definitely softened up.

My face seems to be clearing up nicely though, no new pimples the last couple days. Feels good!

DAY 14

Well I had a pretty big breakout today, and it was on my forehead which is odd cause I dont normally get them there.

My blood test in a couple weeks is definitely going to be interesting because it seems like i've almost been drinking more alcohol than usual. I got absolutely hammered in the weekend after being forced to down a 'yard glass' (which is a glass full of about 7 beers, tradition for your 21st birthday). Conquered the beast in 2 mins 15 secs!

So far just to sum up my side effects are just occasional chapped lips.

On another note: I have noticed my hair is starting to thin in the male pattern baldness areas, sucks but its unlikely that it is related to the accutane (since I have only been on it 2 weeks and my family has a history of early hair loss). If I start going bald in the next few months though I'll know something is up :eh:

DAY 1

I was nervous beforehand, but down the hatch. 30 mins later I had slight nausea. However its possible this was just due to nervousness.

I tend to have a lead stomach and I an usually very tolerant of medications.

Hey Siava thanks for stopping by. Yeah I know what you mean. Now im starting to stress about hairloss, and stress only makes it worse of course! haha

Day 17

Things are actually going really good. To be honest, if I wasnt consciously popping the pills every day, then I wouldnt even know I was on accutane. Like if someone was spiking my food with the pills then i wouldnt even realise. Even my lips are fine, im only putting blistex on them just before bed, even that probably isnt necessary.

My skin is looking the best it has looked in the last few months too. Still a very pimples here and there and I can definately feel some bumps under the skin but it seems to be clearing up (knock on wood).

Maybe I do need a higher dose? Well i'll see the derm in a bit under 2 weeks and he should sort me out. Im wondering, if I have no side effects is that good or bad? Like does it mean that the medicine isn't working very well on me, or does it mean that I am just a special (lucky) case.

Well anyway I thought I would sum up so far:

Total Dose taken: 500mg

Side Effects so far

• Very mild dryness of the skin
  • Occasional dryness in the lips
  • Occasional Mild dandruff (though i've always had a little)

Progress so far

• Neck and chest unchanged
  • Back almost completly clear!
  • No new pimples on face, but still some persisting old ones

DAY 20

Nothing much has changed appearance wise in the last couple days. Actually my skin would be really clear if I didnt have the urge to poke and squeeze the bumps that do appear.. Just cannot freaking help myself.

I have an infected graze on my foot. Dont know that has to do with anything but perhaps the medication slows down healing, because it has been weeping for over two weeks.

I am also shedding hairs like cat. Anyone that experienced hair loss on the med, when did it typically occur? I hear its like 13% of users. Personally im not that worried about going bald cause it was always going to happen, but I would like to keep my hair as long as possible :P I am only 21 after all.

Keep it up mate, looks like it's going really well for you so far. I started my Accutane journey yesterday, i'm also taking 30mg a day, as my acne isn't that bad either. I'll keep checking your log, as i'm also the same weight, and hopefully I can revert to your log and notice if anything replicates with me :D

All the best, Lewis.

Hi Lewis, Hope things are going good with you. Personally I havent really noticed any change in lifestyle or anything, except im really trying to drink less. Infact I havent had a drink in over 2 weeks now, cant imagine that will last though... really craving.

DAY 28

Wow its almost been a month. Things couldnt be better... almost. Yeah im suffering hair loss, it isnt very noticable at the moment though. Im hoping its main contributing factors are stress and diet so I can try to counter it.

My skin hasnt looked better in ...years.. I still have the occasional pimple pop up, but my back/body/neck is basically clear along with my face! (still a couple below my ears though). Cant believe its only taken a month to get like this.

Had my 1 month appointment with the Derm yesterday. He is pleased with the progress so far, even on my low dose of 30mg. I discussed my hair loss with him (effects are usually temporary...blah blah...will grow back...blah blah...), for this reason he was reluctant to up my dose, especially since im seeing good results. I managed to bargain with him and im now on 40mg, means i take 2 pills a day consistantly (instead of 1, then 2). I just dont feel like 30mg is affecting me much, i seem to be quite tolerant.

Had a hard weights session yesterday, even though i know i shouldnt. However I feel fine today (apart from the usual muscle soreness).

Forgot to add - My blood tests came back fine too, despite my diet gone a bit down the drain and had initially done a bit of heavy drinking.

Awesome to hear. If you feel fine after a heavy lifting session, I doubt it would hurt to do it more regularly. You haven't experienced any back pain either?

DAY 42

Well things were going good till a few days ago. The shit kinda hit the fan a bit.

I guess i got the initial breakout happening, or something. But than again i did get hammered friday and saturday night.

So ive got pimples poppin up all over my face plus last night i got a nose bleed in the show for no reason at all.

Im getting some flaking on my face and lips are pretty dry at times. Been in a really shitty mood lately too.

Atleast some of the hair I lost looks like it might be trying to make a comeback. Fingers crossed.

Only early days though.

DAY 46

Yep had a pretty bad breakout.. Hope I am past the worst of it now. I grew a bit of facial hair, hides it quite nicely, ah the joys of being a male. Blood test coming up next week.

I am now a couple weeks into a pretty intense weight training schedule, with no real ill effects. I have noticed the last couple nights some very very mild low back ache, hopefully it doesnt get worse. Im making gains, which is good news.

Lips and skin are a little dry now. But totally manageable.

Im scared as hell to cut my hair, because I dont know if my hairloss will be noticeable. It really needs a cut though, I havent cut it in roughly a year. Dunno what to do. Im too young to go bald damnit!