Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi All!

I am new to the boards and had a quick question:

I've been using a mild Glycolic Acid facewash from Glytone (it's PH Balanced)

http://www.amazon.com/Glytone-Mild-Gel-Was...0444&sr=8-4 for about a month as prescribed by my Dermatologist. In this month, I've broken out worse than ever. Today, it was so bad I actually stayed home from work.

I am washing with it in the morning and in the evening, following up at night with Complex 15 moisturizer (LOVE THIS STUFF) and 0.1 Retin A Cream.

My question is: Is this still the initial break-out (4 weeks)? Or am I allergic to this perhaps?

I know Glycolic Acid and AHAs are supposed to FIGHT Acne, so it seems strange that I am getting more now.

On the positive side:

My skin is much softer, and seems more toned.

But it's really not worth it if my face is getting more and more blemishes by the day that are leaving scars.

I noticed I was getting better results when using St. Ives scrub in the morning, mild cleanser at night, followed by the same moisturizer and Retin-A.

The package insert for Retin-A recommends not using a moisturizer, but i have noticed better results putting a layer on before and then applying Retin-A. I was doing this before, and my face didn't peel and was basically almost flawless. Then 5 months later, BAM - Huge Zit. It looked like a horn. It was pretty horrific.

I've been on Accutane once, have tried Salycilic Acid, BP (which I think I am allergic too, and it bleaches EVERYTHING) and even things I read about on the board a long time ago (Pantothenic Acid, MSM Cream, Colloidal Silver).

Could anyone shed some light on my Glycolic Acid situation? Initial break-out or no?

Thank you :P

I also have to add that I don't really have much faith in my Dermatologist.

She was pushing a Glycolic Kit I was skeptical about. It included pads to wipe my face. I woke up the morning (to go to my first day at work, no less) and my face was beet red.

I turn the package, and the first ingredient was ACETONE.

I'm no expert, but I really don't think I should be putting nail-polish remover on my face, especially when I am already using the strongest concentration of Retin-A.

Hmm. I think Dermatologists are sketchy.

Glycolic acid literally made my face the worst. I was also prescribed GC cream by my derm. It worked at first, well I thought it was, but in the long run, I developed hundreds of tiny bumps all over my face.

I stopped using it. Depends. Some people say it's good, but to me it had bad effects.

Thank you for the update!

It's been 5 weeks now, and my skin is absolutely ABYSMAL. Far worse than it's ever been.

I'll give it 1 more week, and if I don't see a much needed improvement, I'll go back to exfoliating in the morning, mild cleanser at night and retin-A.

STOP already.....STOP STOP STOP......if ur skin is getting worse after 5 weeks stop immediately..

Late last night, I decided to give up on the Glycolic Acid. Now I have 1.5 Tubes of this stuff :wall: .

Interestingly, I find my skin is best when I do everything that the Retin-A manual directs me NOT to. If I exfoliate every day, and put on moisturizer before the Retin-A i feel like I get all the benefits without any of the peeling side effects.

We'll see what effect switching off the Glycolic Acid has.

Thanks for all the advice!

Late last night, I decided to give up on the Glycolic Acid. Now I have 1.5 Tubes of this stuff :wall: .

Interestingly, I find my skin is best when I do everything that the Retin-A manual directs me NOT to. If I exfoliate every day, and put on moisturizer before the Retin-A i feel like I get all the benefits without any of the peeling side effects.

We'll see what effect switching off the Glycolic Acid has.

Thanks for all the advice!

Guest ther
Hi All!

I am new to the boards and had a quick question:

I've been using a mild Glycolic Acid facewash from Glytone (it's PH Balanced)

http://www.amazon.com/Glytone-Mild-Gel-Was...0444&sr=8-4 for about a month as prescribed by my Dermatologist. In this month, I've broken out worse than ever. Today, it was so bad I actually stayed home from work.

I am washing with it in the morning and in the evening, following up at night with Complex 15 moisturizer (LOVE THIS STUFF) and 0.1 Retin A Cream.

My question is: Is this still the initial break-out (4 weeks)? Or am I allergic to this perhaps?

I know Glycolic Acid and AHAs are supposed to FIGHT Acne, so it seems strange that I am getting more now.

On the positive side:

My skin is much softer, and seems more toned.

But it's really not worth it if my face is getting more and more blemishes by the day that are leaving scars.

I noticed I was getting better results when using St. Ives scrub in the morning, mild cleanser at night, followed by the same moisturizer and Retin-A.

The package insert for Retin-A recommends not using a moisturizer, but i have noticed better results putting a layer on before and then applying Retin-A. I was doing this before, and my face didn't peel and was basically almost flawless. Then 5 months later, BAM - Huge Zit. It looked like a horn. It was pretty horrific.

I've been on Accutane once, have tried Salycilic Acid, BP (which I think I am allergic too, and it bleaches EVERYTHING) and even things I read about on the board a long time ago (Pantothenic Acid, MSM Cream, Colloidal Silver).

Could anyone shed some light on my Glycolic Acid situation? Initial break-out or no?

Thank you :P

I can't imagine a glycolic cleanser having much of an impact on your skin either way - the glycolic concentrations are usually quite low in cleansers and they don't stay on the skin long enough to really have much of an effect. Maybe it was another ingredient in the cleanser that you reacted to?

How long have you been using the retin-a cream? Some people have problems with the cream because it does have a pore clogging ingredient in it (one that is actually very comedogenic). The gel doesn't have this problem though.

I've actually stopped using the Apricot Scrub because it is too rough.

St. Ives has a new Elements line, with a Microdermabrasion product that is really gentle. Good results with it so far!

As for the Retin-A cream I use, I use Obagi's 1.0%. It's a yellow-ish color. I've been using the cream both on Glycolic acid and now without it, and it was DEFINITELY the Glycolic Acid causing problems.

I really didn't think the Glycolic Acid would make such a differnece, but since I've stopped using it I've seen the most amazing difference. When I was on the Glycolic Acid face wash, I'd come home and have enormous cysts where there was nothing there in the morning.

Now I can actually walk around with my head held up high, without worrying that my face looks like a mountain range.

The week I switched off the Glycolic Acid Face wash, I had maybe one new small blemish on the side of my face, while on Glycolic I would have more than 10.

I'm really losing all confidence in dermatologists. Doctors in general too.

Now I just really throw all expert advice to the wind and just go with feels good to me.

Did you use the Glytone mild gel wash? I work for a dermatologist and she LOVES this stuff. When I started using it, after a month my skin turned to shit!!!! I now hate it with a passion. After you stop using it, you may still continue breaking out. Even though it has a pretty low concentration of glycolic acid, it still jacks up my skin. Unless I use it on my body. I dunno but def stay away!!!

Yes, it was the Glytone mild gel acne wash. I also used the mask. Both were horrendous. The mild Gel wash also has rave reviews from allure. It makes no sense.

As far as i'm concerned, both are HORRIFIC, and I will never recommend them. Stay AWAY is what I have to say :P