Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Woodson

Help on my scar

Hi, I'm new here and I'm very excited about the TCA complex and I just ordered the free sample. I'm Female Asian with fair skin tone. I wonder if this product would actually work for my scars (pit, rough, uneven mainly on my cheeks) and do I need to take time off from work while I'm using this treatment? Can I still apply fundation? Will people notice my redness? Also, what other products (from Julie) is good for me ? I'm seeing my derm next week and he is going to suggest me to do a course of non-ablative laser, should I do that first then TCA complex? Or try the TCA first then the laser or both at the same time? Any good opinion would really appreciated. One more question--does Retin-A helps my scars? I had used it before, all I get was redness, maybe I didn't use it long enough? Thanks!

Woodson

from this board, this is what I heard about it - the tca works for disclored brown spots caused by acne along with making the small minor indented scars. the larger pitted scars will look better because of the evenness of the surrounding skin color. yes you should take time off because your skin will peel. i've seen some photos and they seem very red and flaky. I don't think you can use the nonablativelasers with a chemical peel at the same time - it's too harsh. alot of dermatlogists say that retin-a helps with scars - they say this because the retin-a stimulates collagen growth... but the growth is not enough to fill in a scar. I haven't noticed anything significant.

Woodson

IMO (I am an Asian with fair/medium skin) retin-a causes more redness and is not too suitable for our skin type. Some might argie with me, but I have read this from some other posters too.

About the TCA complex - you might find getting some of Julies crystals helps to get the flakiness off quicker - I have read that if you only do 1 or 2 swipes (over 2 days) you should be able to cover with makeup quite easily although you may have a couple of days where your skin will look a little rough.

im asian, and retin-a micro works just fine on me. go figure.

according to www.dermatology.about.com

"Treating Early Acne Scars

The post-inflammatory changes caused by acne are part of the skin's natural healing process. There are certain practices and medications that can help facilitate this healing process.

Unprotected exposure to the sun causes more skin damage and delays healing, therefore wearing a good sunscreen is important.

Using tretinoin (Retin-A, Renova, Avita) speeds up the skin's remodeling process and helps heal post-inflammatory changes."