Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ledzep

I discovered what is causing my acne

So for the past 4 wks i've pretty much been clear as bell, no trouble at all. Recently though i've had a lot of essays and revision to do for my final exams at university, and as a result i've been staying up later than ususal to cope with the work load. I've discovered that it is coffee, that i've been drinking to help stay up late, that is causing my acne. Unequivocally, irrefutably, it is coffee that has led to a breakout of diasatrous proportions. I guess from this perspective it is also caffenine in general that i should avoid but i know particularly that coffee is the culprit.

So if u're relatively clear at the moment and want to try an experiment try drinking a couple of cups of coffee in the day and await the results (obviously time it so that u have nothing coming up in the next couple of days).

What do you guys think? does anyone else here massively suffer when drinking coffee?

coffee definitely does not cause my acne and I drink about 3 cups at least everyday. Although I will say coffee immediately after any food does influence a breakout. Insulin spikes are mainly what gets me. Coffee straight after any meal is suicide for me. Coffee before a meal is fine.

There have been people who have observed that caffeine broke them out. There was a thread a few months ago on coffee alternatives and even decaffeinated green tea and cocoa broke one person out.

I breakout from beans so yeah, coffee is a no-no. Legumes=beans=coffee=breakout.

Plus coffee is just ewww. Hate it

Aside from just the coffee, I agree with one of the above posters, it probably is a combination of the late nights and stress. If your body isn't getting the rest that it needs, I doubt that it has the adequate time to repair itself. I notice that sleep is definitely a factor in my skin's problems; if I don't get enough sleep then my skin takes longer to repair itself, in addition to new breakouts. Just on a side note, I am also a university student, so I know how stressful it gets sometimes. In order to make sure that I don't stay up until 3 am etc., I try not to procrastinate because it's pretty much a vicious cycle: when I stay up later, I'm not getting enough sleep--->grouchy and pissed off--->stressed out about school work, which all leads to a breakout in my case.

That's not even factoring in the coffee!!! :shock:

It could be the coffee, but it could also be staying up late and getting less sleep.

Staying up late and getting less sleep makes me far more likely to get breakouts.

Sounds like it all relates to some form of adrenal action.. as it stimulates the adrenals added with stress, hormonal imbalance? its part of my problem for sure..

that whole thyroid, dhea, cortisol, insulin thing.. errrrr

Without a doubt, the one thing that has cleared me almost 100% is staying away from caffeine in ANY form, no green tea, no coffee, no chocolate, no coke, no decaf (this is not caffeine free, still has enough caffeine to cause a break out for me!), ect....This was through years of trial and error (mostly error) and when I finally decided I had to cut it out completely, wahlah, clear skin. Amazing, as I did not react that way to caffeine when I was younger.

I was constantly posting on the boards looking for a substitute. This is what I have come up with, Teecino, which is a coffee alternative. It doesn't taste exactly like coffee, but has lots of natural boosters for energy (but won't keep you up) and has no caffeine. I have also been drinking rice milk steamers when I just want something hot or herbal teas.

There have been people who have observed that caffeine broke them out. There was a thread a few months ago on coffee alternatives and even decaffeinated green tea and cocoa broke one person out.

So for the past 4 wks i've pretty much been clear as bell, no trouble at all. Recently though i've had a lot of essays and revision to do for my final exams at university, and as a result i've been staying up later than ususal to cope with the work load. I've discovered that it is coffee, that i've been drinking to help stay up late, that is causing my acne. Unequivocally, irrefutably, it is coffee that has led to a breakout of diasatrous proportions. I guess from this perspective it is also caffenine in general that i should avoid but i know particularly that coffee is the culprit.

So if u're relatively clear at the moment and want to try an experiment try drinking a couple of cups of coffee in the day and await the results (obviously time it so that u have nothing coming up in the next couple of days).

What do you guys think? does anyone else here massively suffer when drinking coffee?

I would say it's a combination of lack of sleep and stress. Coffee might have something to do with it, but sleep and stress have much bigger impact.