Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sammiemc

Looking for a little advice please

Hello, I am fairly new to this site and I like that everyone seems so willing to share advice. I am currently dealing with new phase of my acne battle. I have been dealing with acne since I was 12 and now that i am 34, it seems to be worse than ever. I now have more cystic acne along with regular blemishes and it seems there is nothing that helps the cystic acne. And as you all know it lasts for weeks and months leaving horrible redness and scarring (emotionally and physically). It seems to me that my new problem could be from a hormonal problem I went off the pill 3 years ago after my husband got a vasectomy and it has progressively gotten worse since then. I have been going to a skin health facility for microderm and peels to help with scarring and to see if that would help me, but it has not and now I am going to have a derm. appointment to hopefully come up with a better fix. I have found in the past that my dermatologist just didn't seem to understand how I have been affected by my skin and not in a good way. I am basically a homebody not wanting to go out and feeling severly ashamed and humiliated by my skin. My husband and children are being wonderfula nd trying to help, but I know they feel hlepless when mom cries and when I don't think I can go on one more minute. I don't share that with my kids, but I know they realize it is upsetting to me. I am just looking to find someone that will tell me thay will fix it and do all they can to make my acne go away. I know this is alot of info, but I would so greatly appreciate as much feedback as possible. Thank you for your time and good luck to all of you who are fighting the acne fight.

Sammiemc

Hi Sammie,

I totally sympathise with you, acne is rubbish and only gets harder to deal with as you get older. Have you tried antibiotics and/or topicals like Benzoyl Peroxide? If your derm knows how much this is affecting you psychologically, he may be inclined to give you stronger treatment.

I think going to a different derm is a good choice. Microderm in my opinion should only be done if you have clear skin and want to be rid of scarring. It doesn't help much when you have active acne. It could make it worse.