Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mogle

does caffeiene affect acne?

For the past year or so I was consuming sugar free energy drinks every day

a few months ago i started getting acne on my forhead only, and i was wondering if maybe the energy drinks have had anything to do with it?

for the past two weeks i cut all energy drinks and caffeine (except green tea) out of my diet; which is otherwise pretty clean

i also started using salicylic acid 2% in the past week or so as well. it seems to be clearing up a little at a time, but i'm curious if that has anything to tdo with the stopped energy drinks or not.

i ordered the cleaner/treatment/etc.. from the site, just waiting for it to arrive

a few months ago i started getting acne on my forhead only, and i was wondering if maybe the energy drinks have had anything to do with it?

for the past two weeks i cut all energy drinks and caffeine (except green tea) out of my diet; which is otherwise pretty clean

i also started using salicylic acid 2% in the past week or so as well. it seems to be clearing up a little at a time, but i'm curious if that has anything to tdo with the stopped energy drinks or not.

i ordered the cleaner/treatment/etc.. from the site, just waiting for it to arrive

Ive always seen that listed as a myth. The serious acne sites always claimed that the belief that various foods caused acne was a total myth. Its very difficult for someone who isnt a researcher to trace it down to a cause because when you get acne it could be caused by many other things besides food.

However, I discounted it but after seeing a fairly clear causal link in my case I do think various foods do tend to cause acne in some people. In my case I was addicted to coffee to stay awake. I used to drink tons of coffee. I noticed though my acne became a minor problem compared to my early teens, there was a persistent intermittent problem with it all through my adulthood. It improved again when I got out of my 20s and early 30s. However whenever I drink more than 1 cup coffee for 3-4 days I almost always have a flareup. When I back off of the coffee it improves. For some reason coffee is the worst and I blamed it not so much on caffeine but something specifically in coffee.

Because of that I switched to tea but noticed after drinking a lot of tea or anything with caffeine, I get a flare up but not quite as bad as with coffee. Coffee as Ive mentioned is far worse than tea or sodas.

I also suspect other foods too in my case like possibly dairy products --- milk and cheese.

This isnt quite as clear as coffee and caffeine but there does seem to be a fairly dependable causal relationship. Ive tried switching to soy milk and avoiding dairy and thought I saw an improvement but its not as strong as avoiding caffeine/coffee.

Another thing I always used to read was simple washing doesnt help. In fact this also seems to help in my case. Ill get an outbreak on my scalp or face or body after ingesting caffeine and when my scalp is really greasy , oily because its very humid here. I can get that way just from sleeping. If I start washing it vigorously many times a day it tends to go away in a few days. If I dont it persists and often gets worse for a week or longer.

Excess caffeine can definitely be bad for your skin!!! First and foremost, caffeine is a diuretic and pulls water out of your cells thus putting you into a perpetual state of dehydration. If your kidneys do not get the correct amount of water, they cannot break down toxins/hormones properly and as a last ditch effort, they will attempt to expell the waste thru the pores of our skin and walla, acne occurs.

I used to drink 4,5,6 cups of tea or coffee per day. I used to get sick all the time and my skin looked horrible. A year ago, I went cold turkey and stopped drinking coffee, soda and energy drinks. I now try to drink at least 100oz of water (3 big sports bottles) of water per day. It's pretty much all that I drink now.

My immune system rebounded and I very rarely get sick and my skin has never looked clearer. As a side not, I have also been taking milk thistle and dandellion root to cleanse my liver. I also think there is a very strong correlation between liver health and acne.

Excess caffeine can definitely be bad for your skin!!! First and foremost, caffeine is a diuretic and pulls water out of your cells thus putting you into a perpetual state of dehydration. If your kidneys do not get the correct amount of water, they cannot break down toxins/hormones properly and as a last ditch effort, they will attempt to expell the waste thru the pores of our skin and walla, acne occurs.

I used to drink 4,5,6 cups of tea or coffee per day. I used to get sick all the time and my skin looked horrible. A year ago, I went cold turkey and stopped drinking coffee, soda and energy drinks. I now try to drink at least 100oz of water (3 big sports bottles) of water per day. It's pretty much all that I drink now.

My immune system rebounded and I very rarely get sick and my skin has never looked clearer. As a side not, I have also been taking milk thistle and dandellion root to cleanse my liver. I also think there is a very strong correlation between liver health and acne.

I drink 1.5 - 2 galons of water a day, for some reason I don't think that's an issue for me.

I did stop drinking all caffeine for a week and it cleared up pretty well.

Now i'm going to see if I break out with drinking just one cup of coffee per day instead of an energy drink.

As far as dairy, the only dairy i really eat is cottage cheese and whey protein. they are a staple of my diet, and can't really be changed.

I can't say caffeine affects me. I usually have 3 cups of coffee and 2 cokes and can't say that it increases it.

I dont know if it does or not but I dont drink coffee for other reasons. Coffee puts stains on my teeth and it gives me a massive headache

It occasionally effects my acne but not always... It usually depends on what I put in the coffee and how much I drink....

I love my coffee so I can't stop drinking it.

To prevent to much aggravation I drink it black.

It occasionally effects my acne but not always... It usually depends on what I put in the coffee and how much I drink....

I love my coffee so I can't stop drinking it.

To prevent to much aggravation I drink it black.

Don't know if there is any truth to this or not....but I noticed you said you drank the calorie-free energy drinks. Which are laced with artificial sweeteners. I read in another post that the poster found research linking artifical sweeteners (containing basically chemicals) to acne in some people. So, the artificial sweeteners in your energy drinks might also have contributed.

After reading that post, I decided to try an experiment. I used Equal and Sweet & Low every day prior, so I tried cutting them out completely to see if it made a difference in my skin. It did not....but other people have reported that it made a difference for them. I suppose we all react differently to different things? Even though it didn't make a difference in my skin to cut out those chemical sweeteners, I haven't added them back to my diet. It made me think about what's actually in those products and it can't be good for the body. So I'm trying to adapt to unsweetened tea (I already drink coffee black), and when I do have a soda I go for the non-diet version.

Don't know if there is any truth to this or not....but I noticed you said you drank the calorie-free energy drinks. Which are laced with artificial sweeteners. I read in another post that the poster found research linking artifical sweeteners (containing basically chemicals) to acne in some people. So, the artificial sweeteners in your energy drinks might also have contributed.

After reading that post, I decided to try an experiment. I used Equal and Sweet & Low every day prior, so I tried cutting them out completely to see if it made a difference in my skin. It did not....but other people have reported that it made a difference for them. I suppose we all react differently to different things? Even though it didn't make a difference in my skin to cut out those chemical sweeteners, I haven't added them back to my diet. It made me think about what's actually in those products and it can't be good for the body. So I'm trying to adapt to unsweetened tea (I already drink coffee black), and when I do have a soda I go for the non-diet version.

What you've said does make sense, but I had already tested that out.

Stopped drinking energy drinks and tried with just coffee, still saw the break out.

I never did try just cutting out coffee though, which i probably sho uld. Considering I just recently started actaully drinking coffee this winter.

Giving up caffeine is non-existent to me. I am addicted!

Maybe that's why I have acne?

Coffee/caffeine doesn't affect my acne. I've given it up at various times (for a month or more) and the severity of my acne remained consistent.