Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
habsfan

Acne Fulminans

Hey everybody. So this is my story.

I am 16 years old and I am from Canada. Lets go to the start of this problem. Growing up since the age of 13 I never really had a much of a problem with acne..pimple here and pimple there but nothing that ever bother me. As I got older my face started to worsen and it still never really bothered me. About 3 months ago the strangest thing happened. I noticed that my acne was changing from regular white heads and pimples into cystic acne. This is when I made a trip to my family doctor to seek options. He asked me if I wanted to just get rid of the problem and I of course said yes (who wouldn't?) So he said ok lets go ahead and try accutane. So I saw the effects of the drug and thought ok I can deal with the dry skin so I went ahead and started it. Two months into the treatment my skin was improving and I was overall satisfied. Until one day I woke up and noticed that I had a few small very hard cysts on my back. I really didn't think anything of it until I was having trouble sleeping at night due to the pain. It finally reached the point of covering my hole back and I was up for 3-4 days at a time without any sleep. And yes it also covered my chest and the sides of my arms so all my options were taken. Finally I went back to my family doctor and showed him what had happened. In all of my life I have never ever seen a doctor drop his jaw and not say anything at all, he got up and walked to the door and brought in 3 more doctors. They were all speechless. "How can they be so inflamed?" finally he made a call to the city dermatologist and set up an imidiate appointment. At this time I was placed on anti biotics for a skin infection as well, accutane was also stopped immediately.

Finally I was able to see the dermatologist. He asked me questions about acne. He then took a look at my back. I won't post pictured but at the time you can imagine open cysts that you would have been able to give the shocker to(haha). He then sat down and talked about the condition I may have had. He said that my case looked like acne fulmination. From what I was told it is a rarer kind of acne. There are many speculations to what causes the case but since there are a lack of patients to study he really didn't go into far detail. He then prescribed a healthy diet of Dapsone and Prednisone. So after missing school for a few weeks and staying at home I finally was able to function enough to attend. So now we fast forward to, well, today I guess and I am happy with what improvements I have shown. And really It isn't the improvement of my skin because I have a long way to go but the ability to do the things I once could do. Here is a list of I wasn't able to due during this dark age.

- Sleep

- Loss of Appetite

- Wasn't able to play hockey(killed me severely)

- Shoulder checking or wearing a seatbelt while driving

- Wear winter jackets

- Any touching would lead to me falling to my knees

- Wear white clothing

And other if anyone else is interested. And please ask questions because this a large topic and I am forgetting things. So when you look at your own cases and your down hating looking in the mirror. Atleast you can sleep at night.

Acne Fulminans

I do not take credit for this article. I did not write it.

oh man, that part about the doctors droppin jaws made me laugh, but really that sucks ass. at least it's somewhere like your back where it isn't staring people in the face all the time... is it all clearing up well or is it gonna leave scars and stuff?

Well, thank god it's clearing up for you. But did the accutane cause it or ignite it or something? That's a lot of cysts! I have one that is actually getting smaller at the moment, it was the size of a quarter to begin with and now is dime sized and I thought that was bad!

When you were explaining it, I don't know what seemed worse; the actual appearance of your back, chest, and arms, or the fact that it hurt so bad to even wear a seatbelt.

So, there is no exact cause of this rare acne condition? If there is, I want to know so I make sure this doesn't happen to me. YIKES!

Well the most usual cause is simply that it runs in your family but in my case it doesn't. If I were to go into my own theory I'd say that my body had a very high testosterone level and that is what brought this out. Thats why accuntane and anti biotics didn't work but steroids so far have. And to answer the question about scarring it seems to be clearing but I am never out of the woods so I expect it to come back. And the worst part was the pain. I simply expected scarring so now it is simply about damage control. Just imagine a grenade explosion on my back to give you a good idea. Also things I missed that if you read that article you notice that often times after people will suffer from severe arthritis because later doctors have to drain your joints of fluid. The fluid is the same bacteria as acne. I will scar but scars add character(Im a hockey player as you can tell haha). Also another dangerous part is that I developed welts on my legs that were massive resulting in my leg swelling. This was due to the fact that with all the infection your white blood cell count rises amazingly high and is very dangerous to your body. During this 2 month span I had a fever and was sick everyday. I kinda regret writing this because it sounds like im whining but I saw in another thread that someone commented on Acne Conglobata saying that it was rare and there wasn't much mentioned about it. Also for you people wishing to lose weight I lost 15 pounds in 1 week...Ok bad joke haha.

Acne Fulminans

More info I do not take credit for writing this article. And please more questions if I havn't answered any.