Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dragon10

Is it safe to buy a DERMAROLLER for home use?

I just can't find a doctor that will do needling around me, so I'm starting to get unpatient and I think I might actually buy a dermaroller on eBay for $200... the thing is I'm scared that iit will caus emore harm then good? I've been lurking and have read that some people have brought their own .. hows that going for you guys who have your own?? tips? advice??

Questions:

1 What should I clean it/sterilize it with befor eI use it??

2 should I clean it before first use?

3 will it be a good idea to test it out on one side of my face first?

5 how many times should I use it in a month, week?

6 how long should the needles be?.. I have thin sensitive skin.. easy to scar

7 Will it damage or make skin worse? (I know it says that it doesn't but I want to hear from

people who have experienced it.)

8 Is it alright for a 16 year old male with olive skin (asian) to use it? (don't want some pigmentation going on here)

9 I'm only 16 and I can see that my scars are still healing, but I want it to heal faster.. is the dermaroller a easy way out?? I mean I don't want to screw up the healing process..

10 What should I first expect?

11 Will there be a lot of blood as I seen in some pictures?

12 Seeing how the roller is made in a third world country... is it really safe?

UPDATE: heres a picture of scars on my left sidepost-27080-1207368583_thumb.jpg

Keep it in the fridge in a sealed plastic bag,needle length should be 2.5-3mm for ance scars but because your senstive maybe a 2.5mm will work just as well,the roller should be replaced every 3-4 uses but thats only because the needles get blunt over time it still does the same job but might hurt more,do it every 12 weeks on the affected areas for every time you roll do 3 sets in 1 treatment the process is easy just go back and forward back and forward maybe 10 times on the scars,there is blood but not much and if your going to do this dont go easy on yourself make it work propley,wont cause pigmentation,and it wont make your skin worse its inducing collegen growth to fill the scars.

I would start with a 1.5mm or 2.0mm at the most since you've never used one before.

From what I read on some other posts, I think the 2.5mm and 3.0mm are a bit extreme, also I read these should be avoided in the temple area.

So I guess just to be safe you should start with te 1.5mm length.

To answer your questions, this is what I do/my experience with it:

1 - Clean and sterilize after use. Rinse with warm/hot water. Then dip in alcohol or other sterilizing solution. Let air dry and put it back in the protective packaging.

2 - Before using it again, I just rinse it in warm/hot water again.

3 - Yes, test it out on a small area first, that what I did. :)

4 - No number 4 question?

5 - I wait at least two weeks when using the 1.5mm. If using a longer one, you should wait even more. And if you're using one with shorter needles, you can do it more often.

6 - Start with the 1.5mm length. I purchased three, 0.5mm, 1mm and 1.5mm, because I had this same concern. I tend to scar very easily. So I wasn't sure. I haven't had any problems.

7 - No, it doesn't damage the skin, at least not with the needle lengths I've tried.

8 - I haven't had an issue with pigmentation and I have medium complexion. Actually, I think it's even good for correcting hyperpigmentation. It's helped me a bit with this.

9 - You're still very young so I'm not sure about this. Though I guess if I had scars at 16 I would just try it out on a small area to see how it would work.

10 - What to expect first? ...well, after using the dermaroller, your skin may be pinkish for a day or two, no big deal really. Your scars will probably completly level (due to swelling) and stay like that for up to a week.

11 - There's some blood, but really there's no big deal. I think the pictures you see really make it look worse than it really is. I'm not very fond of needles and many times when I see blood I feel like fainting, but I haven't had any issues with doing my own needling.

12 - It's made in a third-world country, but that's no big deal. It's safe. Pretty much everything is made in China nowadays.

BTW, I wouldn't pay $200 for one dermaroller, I'm kind of cheap :) when it come to this. You can get them for less than elsewhere or on eBay. I paid about $200 the three I bought from a U.S. seller.

why wouldnt u use anything past 2.0mm? on the other threads u have read have people experienced some bad side effects from the longer lengths?

I would start with a 1.5mm or 2.0mm at the most since you've never used one before.

From what I read on some other posts, I think the 2.5mm and 3.0mm are a bit extreme, also I read these should be avoided in the temple area.

So I guess just to be safe you should start with te 1.5mm length.

To answer your questions, this is what I do/my experience with it:

1 - Clean and sterilize after use. Rinse with warm/hot water. Then dip in alcohol or other sterilizing solution. Let air dry and put it back in the protective packaging.

2 - Before using it again, I just rinse it in warm/hot water again.

3 - Yes, test it out on a small area first, that what I did. :)

4 - No number 4 question?

5 - I wait at least two weeks when using the 1.5mm. If using a longer one, you should wait even more. And if you're using one with shorter needles, you can do it more often.

6 - Start with the 1.5mm length. I purchased three, 0.5mm, 1mm and 1.5mm, because I had this same concern. I tend to scar very easily. So I wasn't sure. I haven't had any problems.

7 - No, it doesn't damage the skin, at least not with the needle lengths I've tried.

8 - I haven't had an issue with pigmentation and I have medium complexion. Actually, I think it's even good for correcting hyperpigmentation. It's helped me a bit with this.

9 - You're still very young so I'm not sure about this. Though I guess if I had scars at 16 I would just try it out on a small area to see how it would work.

10 - What to expect first? ...well, after using the dermaroller, your skin may be pinkish for a day or two, no big deal really. Your scars will probably completly level (due to swelling) and stay like that for up to a week.

11 - There's some blood, but really there's no big deal. I think the pictures you see really make it look worse than it really is. I'm not very fond of needles and many times when I see blood I feel like fainting, but I haven't had any issues with doing my own needling.

12 - It's made in a third-world country, but that's no big deal. It's safe. Pretty much everything is made in China nowadays.

BTW, I wouldn't pay $200 for one dermaroller, I'm kind of cheap :) when it come to this. You can get them for less than elsewhere or on eBay. I paid about $200 the three I bought from a U.S. seller.

why wouldnt u use anything past 2.0mm? on the other threads u have read have people experienced some bad side effects from the longer lengths?

Where did you buy it from a U.S. seller? Would you say that it worked really well? Can you provid eme with any pictures?

I think so.

It has pore size reduction as one of the indications, check description here

I've got some enlarged pores on my nose and some on the area around my nose, though I haven't tried the dermaroller for this. But now that I see it can help, I will try it. I'm mainly interested in reducing my scars though.

Where did you buy it from a U.S. seller? Would you say that it worked really well? Can you provid eme with any pictures?

I purchased mine from www.dermarollers.us (they used to have another site when I bought them, but they have this now)

I had previously ordered from a seller overseas, but my shipment got lost and they wouldn't ship me another...but that's another story.

As to how how it has worked, I've done self-needling before with very good results. The issue with doing self-needling with a single or few needles is that that is a very tedious process if you want to do it right. It took about 5 minutes just to do a scar. That's why I didn't do it often.

The dermaroller changes all that, I can do all my face in about 10 minutes.

Keep in mind that I've only used the dermaroller twice, but as I mentioned I have experience with self-needling before.

I'll try to get some pictures, though I'd prefer to do a few more treatments to see more improvement before taking pictures.

You seem very hesitant to try needling. I was just like that when I first learned about needling. Now that I've tried it and seen how it works, I only wish I had known and tried sooner.

I totally understand you concern dude, you're still very young. I would also be very hesitant to try something like needling at your age.

I'm 25 now, I didn't get acne scars until I was about 20 and I didn't do anything until a couple of years later.

BTW, is your acne under control? You really can't do some serious treating of scars until your acne is under control.

Q: also if this really works better than other scar treatments then why haven't more dermatologists gotten a hold of dermarollers and the procedure to do it?

My theory on this is, and I believe many will agree, they can't make much by offering this. Call me cynical if you want, but I believe they're just out to make as much money as possible.

Needling is not a magic cure. It takes time. And even then, you won't get rid of your scars completely.

My scars were real bad to begin with, so I'm just happy with whatever improvement I get.

Good luck if decide to try needling or other procedure.

P.S. was the lurking comment about me? I've been active around here since 2003. I only gave you the link 'cause you asked.

You're not alone on thinking that seems sketchy, if you look at some of my previous posts you'll see I've expressed this concern.

I totally understand you concern dude, you're still very young. I would also be very hesitant to try something like needling at your age.

I'm 25 now, I didn't get acne scars until I was about 20 and I didn't do anything until a couple of years later.

BTW, is your acne under control? You really can't do some serious treating of scars until your acne is under control.

Q: also if this really works better than other scar treatments then why haven't more dermatologists gotten a hold of dermarollers and the procedure to do it?

My theory on this is, and I believe many will agree, they can't make much by offering this. Call me cynical if you want, but I believe they're just out to make as much money as possible.

Needling is not a magic cure. It takes time. And even then, you won't get rid of your scars completely.

My scars were real bad to begin with, so I'm just happy with whatever improvement I get.

Good luck if decide to try needling or other procedure.

P.S. was the lurking comment about me? I've been active around here since 2003. I only gave you the link 'cause you asked.

You're not alone on thinking that seems sketchy, if you look at some of my previous posts you'll see I've expressed this concern.

How long ago has it been since you took Accutane? Are you still taking it?

From what I've read, I think you have to wait 6 months to year after taking accutane before you can do some serious treating of your scars.

How long ago has it been since you took Accutane? Are you still taking it?

From what I've read, I think you have to wait 6 months to year after taking accutane before you can do some serious treating of your scars.

hi there

im planing to buy dermaroller with a 1.5mm from dermaroller.us just wanna ask if this company is okay?? and are there products any good??

Is a 1.5mm good for pitted scars? what solutions, creams or ointments should i use it with? please help anyone thanks

share your experience please

Do you guys know what kind of solution/cream we have to use? is it Hyaluronic Acid Serum?

you can use anything you like. i use copper peptide, retin works well too. vit is what some use. terpoline -spelling- is the latest thing with some folks.

I've been using a derma roller at home and publishing before and after pictures in my blog : homedermaroller.blogspot.com

By the way, it doesn't hurt if you use Emla or some other kind of numbing cream.

Edited by homeroller

If you're interested in using a dermaroller at home there are some blogs of noncommercial companies for example homedermaroller.blogspot dot com

(replace dot with an actual dot... i can't post links here for some reason)

It is usually pretty safe but you need to follow the directions carefully.

lol, duuude.... this post is like 3 years old. Don't waste your time.