Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plumard

multiple accutane courses?

I've had two courses of accutane in the past. One at 17. Another at 23. I guess , in my case, the accutane basically stops the severe cysts for a few years, then as time goes by they return.

Now I'm in mid mid30s and about four years ago I really began to have a return of the severe cysts. I don't get many at one. But when I do get them, they always scar.

I've basically tried every natural "cure" I've read about. I hoped to get around doing another course of accutane, because I have had several health problems since the first course (stomach problems, muscle pain problems) which, though I am not 100% are related to the accutane, I'd hate to see get worse, if the accutane did bring them out.

unfortunately none of the natural remedies I've tried has worked. I think I've tried every herb, every vitamin.. you name it... What seems most effective in my case is not eating any sugar and dairy--EVER. But I find it pretty hard to maintain that diet, and the smallest lapse seems to bring out a cyst.

I'm wondering if there's anybody out there in a similar position to me, and if so... is another course of accutane worth it? or am I just going to experience the same thing: works for a little bit, and then the cysts come back again?

I'd appreciate advice from anybody in a similar situation. and knowing what worked for you (if anything). Thanks.

From one of my earlier posts.......still getting great results on only 10mg/day.

I'm 46 and weigh 180. I saw the research about the low dose option and thought it made perfect sense so I gave it try. I was on 20 mg per day for 9 months and continue now on 10 mg per day. Couldn't be happier. Minimal side effects with no breakouts whatsoever as well as the annoying oily skin problems are completely gone. I'm a firm believer in the fact that oil is the root cause and treating the symptoms with topicals are a waist of time. The so-called "normal" doses that derms give are way to strong. I think the longer term low doses are the answer. My face has never been better and now that I've added a small amount of moistureizer even my old lumps and bumps are gradually going away. Too bad it only took me 30 years to figure this out.....

Good Luck!!

I've had two courses of accutane in the past. One at 17. Another at 23. I guess , in my case, the accutane basically stops the severe cysts for a few years, then as time goes by they return.

Now I'm in mid mid30s and about four years ago I really began to have a return of the severe cysts. I don't get many at one. But when I do get them, they always scar.

I've basically tried every natural "cure" I've read about. I hoped to get around doing another course of accutane, because I have had several health problems since the first course (stomach problems, muscle pain problems) which, though I am not 100% are related to the accutane, I'd hate to see get worse, if the accutane did bring them out.

unfortunately none of the natural remedies I've tried has worked. I think I've tried every herb, every vitamin.. you name it... What seems most effective in my case is not eating any sugar and dairy--EVER. But I find it pretty hard to maintain that diet, and the smallest lapse seems to bring out a cyst.

I'm wondering if there's anybody out there in a similar position to me, and if so... is another course of accutane worth it? or am I just going to experience the same thing: works for a little bit, and then the cysts come back again?

I'd appreciate advice from anybody in a similar situation. and knowing what worked for you (if anything). Thanks.

I do think a third course is worth considering. Daughter would not even contemplate it as she said her acne is not that severe but they are persistent. She is now on her third course. She stopped having active pimples from month 2, but unfortunately she has been left with some bumps under her skin on her chin. She is on 150 days at 40 mgs daily and should finish her course in 38 days. She saw the derm this afternoon and I do not know what she said to her regarding the treatment. Hope this helps even if you stay clear for a few years, I think it will be worth it. Her acne came back after 2 and 5 yrs. Her pattern seems to be like yours and she is now 31 yrs. First course was when she was 20 at uni.

OP QUOTE--- "What seems most effective in my case is not eating any sugar and dairy--EVER. But I find it pretty hard to maintain that diet, and the smallest lapse seems to bring out a cyst."

3 time Accutane user and loser speaking here- I wouldn't recommend the 3rd course. You can if you want, and the lower dose is an interesting option, but even then I wouldn't. Know why? Because your problem is not your oil, it's the reaction/inflammation that produces your oil, as evidenced by your quote above.

I'm exactly the same way. I have a low carb, no dairy diet. Do I find it hard? I find it hard if I MAKE it hard. :wall: It's in my head as it's in yours. Better help exists in the holistic forum, you'll find people who've done just the same as I've done.

There are other supplements you can buy OTC, I'd especially recommend an Omega 3, 6, 9 supplement and zinc. Vitamin A I trust, Accutane I don't.

And just so you know dermatologists are finally getting this message for adult/longtime acne sufferers check this post:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...65&hl=fiber

I don't know if you are guys or girls, but I am 45 yr old female with acne since 13. Had 4 rounds of accutane over the years. Clear for a couple, then oil and acne would return.

I've taken spironolactone for 8 months and finally my skin is as good as an accutane round. No oil, completely clear. It takes longer than tane to work, but you can take it long term. It basically blocks testosterone receptors which inhibits oil production and comedone formation.

Even if you have normal hormone levels, you can have sensitive receptors. For women, this is a godsend. The drug is still off-label for acne but doc's are prescribing it more frequently. BTW: The drug is basically a water pill that also lowers high blood pressure. (mine was low to start and spiro hasn't affected it). Lastly, the effects seem dose dependant. Most docs will start you at 50-75mg/day. For complete clearing, 100-200 mg seems what works (most at 100mg/day). I'm on 150 mg/day and have PERFECT skin.

Good luck!!!