Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Taking 800mcg of Chromium Picolinate - its working

3 days ago, I started taking 800 mcg of Chromium Picolinate and 200 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid each morning. Both are proven to regulate sugar levels in Diabetics. In the evenings, I'll sometimes take one more 200mcg pill of Chromium Picolinate.

I've read that doses of up to 800 mcg of Chromium Picolinate are safe. I want to see if I notice a difference. I took 200 mcg of Chromium last year, but didnt notice a difference. This time, I'm taking a larger dose.

I've also started eating a lot of Raisin bran (in almond milk) -- which is my lazy way of taking fiber (and it is certainly working :dance: ).

If this actually works, I'll actually reduce my carb intake and get on a low GI diet.

So, we'll see if there is any difference. :)

Let us know how it goes.

I just started taking 200 mcg per day (I got a free bottle).

if you're doing this to control your acne.. if you don't mind.. how bad it is? and please keep us updated!

I've started taking 800mcg of Chromium Picolinate each morning.

I've read that doses of up to 1000 mcg are safe. I want to see if I notice a difference.

I've also started eating a lot of Raisin bran (in almond milk) -- which is my lazy way of taking fiber (and it is certainly working :dance: ).

I am also taking 200 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid which is proven to regulate sugar levels in Diabetics.

So, we'll see if there is any difference.

So far, Chromium, Alpha Lipoic Acid and diet are the three most successful ways to regulate bloodsugar levels. (I havent started any diet yet =P)

I just started taking 800 mcg as well.. so I'll keep everyone updated also :) I took my first dose yesterday and today I felt extreeeeemely tired. Seriously, I got 12 hours of sleep PLUS a 3 hour nap and I was still nodding off throughout the day. I don't know if it was the chromium or not though causing it..

My skin: Every pore on my face -including earlobes, back of neck, sides of face and scalp- have clogged pores. I do not get infections unless I scatch at the bumps. When I'm not on medications, my scalp is EXTREMELY oily. As a child, my mother washed my hair with dish soap because shampoo would not completely remove the oil. Last year, I saw a dermatologist (who attended Harvard and graduated from Tufts) and he told me that people with acne should use Dawn dishsoap because it is forumlated for cutting oil. I pour the dishsoap into my Herbal Essences soap bottle :).

I've been studying like crazy for an exam this last week and just realized that I hadnt washed my hair in 3 days -- yet it is 100% non-oily and feels freshly washed. I've been on Chromium Picolinate 4 days now. My skin also appears to be clearing. If this regime is working, then it appears to be just as strong as the Vitamin B5 cure. I shall wait a few more days before I become excited and know for sure if its the new regime.

I bought Chromium Picolinate because it was the only Chromium available at the store. ;)

I did take 200mcg of Chromium for a few weeks last year but didnt notice any difference. This time, I decided to try a larger dose.

what if you stop taking it after "you get cured" ? will it cause same reactions as the b5? don't you think is a little risky?

Diabetics are never "cured" from Diabetes. They must permanently change their diet to avoid getting the symptoms (its a healthier diet, anyway =P). People with shrimp or peanut allergies are never "cured" from their allergic reactions when they stop eating those allergens or are given anti-hystamines.

Diabetics (who refuse to take pharmaceutical medications) must regulate their bloodsugar levels with Chromium.

If this Chromium and Lipoic Acid works, I'll then put myself on the diabetic diet to keep my sugar spikes down.

------------------

Chromium and the B5 cure are not the same thing (although they might produce the same results when it comes to acne). Vitamin B5 is an anti-androgen: It stops our bodies from producing too many androgens. Androgens are produced in excess when our bloodsugar spikes. B5 does not affect bloodsugar levels... so its suppressing the symptoms, not the cause.

Chromium, on the other hand, regulates blood sugar levels, before the bloodsugar levels cause our bodies to produce excess androgens.

I'm not sure if the Chromium is working yet. I notice a difference, but want to be extra sure before I say Chromium is definitely helping.

Arent you referring to the OTHER chromium pi----- one?

There are three types of Chromium:Picolate, Picolinate and a third (maybe gtf?)

I've read that there were health concerns with Picolate.... but I'm using Picolinate.

I researched the topic a while back too and what i found out that there are some safety issues with higher doses and taking it long term. furthermore they were not sure whether it would have the desired effect. i always wanted to take GTF therefore, but I have not come across a GTF supplement that does not contain a lot of BS mixed into the supp

I've read that it is very safe in the doses I am taking. Perhaps our definitions of high doses differs?

I've read that its very safe up to 1000 mcg. I've read its safe in doses higher than that, as well.

"In terms of safety, chromium picolinate safety has been evaluated in 35 clinical trials utilizing over 2,000 participants. Research has shown that chromium picolinate is safe at levels as high as 500 mg, or 500,000 mcg, in animals. These levels are more than 500 times the typical daily dose for an average adult and are not recommended. "

Okay, I can tell the chromium is not working as strongly as the Vitamin B5. There might be a LITTLE less oil (cant tell) but it doesnt seem to be working.

Why do you think this is? If Chromium is so great for metabolizing glucose levels.... and sugar spikes cause excess androgens, then wouldnt I greatly notice a decrease in oil?

^Well its only been a few days since you started taking it right? You definitely won't see results this fast... give it at least 3-6 weeks to see any true results. That goes with any treatment really... especially anything dealing with hormones.

By the way.. this is a bit off subject, but I have been doing some research and thought I'd just bring it up-- Have you by chance ever taking borage oil or evening primrose oil? Both have a good amount of GLA in it... and GLA is an extremely potent inhibitor of both 1 and 2 forms of 5 alpha reductase.... even more potent than Finasteride, which is a prescription anti-androgen. I read on a PCOS forum of some women taking EPO or borage oil who have excess androgens, and not only did they see a huge improvement in acne, but also with other hormonal issues like excessive hair growth.

If Chromium is so great for metabolizing glucose levels.... and sugar spikes cause excess androgens, then wouldnt I greatly notice a decrease in oil?

By the way.. this is a bit off subject, but I have been doing some research and thought I'd just bring it up-- Have you by chance ever taking borage oil or evening primrose oil? Both have a good amount of GLA in it... and GLA is an extremely potent inhibitor of both 1 and 2 forms of 5 alpha reductase.... even more potent than Finasteride, which is a prescription anti-androgen.

^Well its only been a few days since you started taking it right? You definitely won't see results this fast... give it at least 3-6 weeks to see any true results. That goes with any treatment really... especially anything dealing with hormones.

By the way.. this is a bit off subject, but I have been doing some research and thought I'd just bring it up-- Have you by chance ever taking borage oil or evening primrose oil? Both have a good amount of GLA in it... and GLA is an extremely potent inhibitor of both 1 and 2 forms of 5 alpha reductase.... even more potent than Finasteride, which is a prescription anti-androgen. I read on a PCOS forum of some women taking EPO or borage oil who have excess androgens, and not only did they see a huge improvement in acne, but also with other hormonal issues like excessive hair growth.

Well, it has been only a few days. DIM wore off within 2 weeks and then my eyebrows started falling out again because of the amount of clogged pores in the hair follicles.

I started taking 800 mcg of Chromium and my eyebrows are fine. I dont have any lumps on the sides of my face (which I usually develope within 4 days of going off medication). But I'm too suspicious that it will all return within a few days.

I need to be patient, relax and wait and see =P.