Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actually, no, that was just to get your attention. But before you strangle me, please, I beg of you, GIVE ME ADVICE!

I'm actually very health-conscious, but I've never adopted a strict acne clearing diet, mainly because I saw a bunch of testimonials about people losing weight and I'm underweight and trying to gain. It has seemed like an impossible battle to me, but if anyone can help me figure out how to adopt a diet that will enable me to both gain weight AND help my skin, I'm sure it's you guys. I'm not sure if such a diet would clear my skin completely, but even if it just helped with the weight and improved my overall health, that would be fantastic.

Based on BMR calculators, I need a good 3000 calories a day to gain 1 lb/week, though if I could snag as much as 3500 that would be AWESOME. First I'm going to give you a run-down of my current diet. I am not interested in criticism, just helpful advice. I've included rough caloric estimates as well.

Breakfast

1 cup oatmeal + organic lowfat milk + (optional) handful of blueberries or raisins = 400 calories

Green smoothie. Just as an example:

1 banana + 1 apple + 2 handfuls of baby spinach + handful of frozen raspberries + 1/4 cup pinenuts + 2 tablespoons flaxseed oil (considering looking for ground flaxseed instead) + 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar + 2-3 cups water = about 700 calories

Lunch

1 organic (just peanuts, no additives) peanut butter and jelly sandwich = 500-600 calories

1 Odwalla protein shake = 400 calories

Dinner

2 organic turkey burgers with cheese and no buns, cooked in olive oil = 550 calories

1/2-3/4 cup kidney beans = 150-200 calories

1 glass chocolate soy milk = 300 calories

Typical snack at random intervals

1/4-3/4 cup walnuts = 200-600 calories

As you can see, this is adding up to roughly 3000 calories, which is what I need. But I suspect I could be doing a lot better. I could find a way to alter this to help my skin and perhaps even add MORE calories, rather than reduce them. But I need your help, guys. I'm sure a lot of you, particularly those involved in weight training, are finding a way to get about the same caloric intake as I do while still keeping your skin clear. I suspect the answer could lie in MEAT.

I haven't really had a lot of opportunity to fiddle with my diet and explore possible acne triggers, largely because I'm sort of bound by what I eat because I'm ignorant to alternatives for weight gain. Most significantly, I would love to reduce my sugar intake; even though I eat very little refined sugar, I'm probably still getting a little over 100 grams a day. The Odwalla shake alone is 38 grams. I just don't know how to change this.

So please help me. Please, please, please. There has to be a way to accomplish both of these goals with the same diet. I'm recently off Accutane and what breakouts I have are quite mild but I certainly want to REDUCE them rather than wait and see if it will get bad again. This is the perfect time to act. Even if I try and help topically I want to make sure I'm doing what I can on the inside as well.

If your suggestions involve items I can't find in a conventional grocery store, please make note of that and where I might find them.

Thank you SO SO SO much. If this works, I may well hand over my first born child to you, if/when I ever have kids. o.o

P.S. I have heard that simply by increasing caloric intake you run the risk of breaking out. Is that true? If so, maybe there's nothing I can do, but I think quality of food is probably much more relevant than quantity.

hmmm don't att too many fruits to your green smoothies.. choose one, or banana or apple, or half of each

also change the protein shake and choose one that is low carb.. like isolated whey protein

it seems like a good diet to gain weight I will steal it from you!

oh and yeah you can do better if you eat eggs! Idon't see eggs anywhere.. do hey break you out?if so then you're unlucky..

hmmm don't att too many fruits to your green smoothies.. choose one, or banana or apple, or half of each

also change the protein shake and choose one that is low carb.. like isolated whey protein

it seems like a good diet to gain weight I will steal it from you!

oh and yeah you can do better if you eat eggs! Idon't see eggs anywhere.. do hey break you out?if so then you're unlucky..

I've been eating lots of eggs for the past month,.. and I will go and check cholesterol levels pretty soon.. but again.. I've been eating eggs for too many years around 4 to 5 times a week and the results from those years didn't notice anything wrong with my cholesterol. '

you can do the same, start eating them and go for a blood check after 1 or 2 months.. if it's bad then cut the intake of eggs by eating less of them

If your thin, you are probably an ectomorph.

Ectomorph's tend to be slimmer than the other two body types, which would be mesomorph and endomorph.

Ectomorph = Thin over all, fast metabolism, hard to gain weight and muscle, but burns fat really fast.

Mesmorph = "Genetic freak" Most dominating part of the body is the chest, bigger build than an ectomorph, burns fat well and builds muscle easy enough to.

Endomorph = Rounded body shape, harder to lose weight as the metabolism is slower but easy to gain muscle.

If you are an ectomorph and you want to gain weight, you can't afford to skip/miss a single meal because it will have draw back on weight gain.

Probably should eat 6 - 7 meals a day, every 2 - 3 hours, this keeps the body supplied and stops it using muscle as a fuel to burn and goes for the body fat that is stored.

Tuna is a good source of protein and so are prawns, most fish are.

If you do weights and trying to gain, the best program would be to do whatever your doing, but do 4 - 5 sets of 6 reps with a good amount of weight.

Set your days apart so you do two muscle groups a day.

Theres more I can tell you if you need it, but the info I gave you is what I learned when I worked in a gym.

I don't do it to gain muscle I prefer a Bruce Lee type body.

Good luck anyway.

If your thin, you are probably an ectomorph.

Ectomorph's tend to be slimmer than the other two body types, which would be mesomorph and endomorph.

Ectomorph = Thin over all, fast metabolism, hard to gain weight and muscle, but burns fat really fast.

Mesmorph = "Genetic freak" Most dominating part of the body is the chest, bigger build than an ectomorph, burns fat well and builds muscle easy enough to.

Endomorph = Rounded body shape, harder to lose weight as the metabolism is slower but easy to gain muscle.

If you are an ectomorph and you want to gain weight, you can't afford to skip/miss a single meal because it will have draw back on weight gain.

Probably should eat 6 - 7 meals a day, every 2 - 3 hours, this keeps the body supplied and stops it using muscle as a fuel to burn and goes for the body fat that is stored.

Tuna is a good source of protein and so are prawns, most fish are.

If you do weights and trying to gain, the best program would be to do whatever your doing, but do 4 - 5 sets of 6 reps with a good amount of weight.

Set your days apart so you do two muscle groups a day.

Theres more I can tell you if you need it, but the info I gave you is what I learned when I worked in a gym.

I don't do it to gain muscle I prefer a Bruce Lee type body.

Good luck anyway.

yeah I forgot to ask why Jelly? I know it's yummy but if you eat it everyday might be bad (Sugar -> acne) so I'll keep the jelly but not as often..

eat fish man! fish and fish

yeah that's true what seekirus is saying, if you want to get big, lift big and eat big, think big lol hahah

yeah I forgot to ask why Jelly? I know it's yummy but if you eat it everyday might be bad (Sugar -> acne) so I'll keep the jelly but not as often..

yeah that's true what seekirus is saying, if you want to get big, lift big and eat big, think big lol hahah

Well..... if you don't suspect anything you currently eat of breaking you out... then why not just double everything you currently eat? :eh:

But, I am sure you are aware that many people on these boards have noted many of the things you currently eat do cause problems for them. I'm not going to lecture you about the soy, dairy, grains, sugar, peanuts, or anything else you listed because I don't know what your body is suited for. But I will say that (obviously) adding more calories is simply a matter of eating more food. I don't understand what you want exactly. Find out what your body likes and eat more of it. You either do it or you don't.

The jelly could probably go. It doesn't really add many calories and it'd be an easy way to help reduce sugar. Although I've heard some people say peanut butter breaks them out. Not sure if this is true for me, but it's hard to eliminate and still keep the calories up.

hey man i would do away with the peanut butter and use almond butter its healthier and tastes better. get raw almond butter. Also dont use jelly unless u can find a 100% organic sugar free or low sugar jelly. I would say use less fruits on the green smoothie like only an apple and a banana plus greens. Also for dinner your right on the organic turkey burgers. You should also eat alot of fish... Tuna,salmon, talapia, also try and avoid wheat if you can it causes skin inflammation. Stick to a wheat free or a 100%sprouted wheat bread. I use ezekiel bread its so good. Thats all I can say man.. Good luck.

hey man i would do away with the peanut butter and use almond butter its healthier and tastes better. get raw almond butter. Also dont use jelly unless u can find a 100% organic sugar free or low sugar jelly. I would say use less fruits on the green smoothie like only an apple and a banana plus greens. Also for dinner your right on the organic turkey burgers. You should also eat alot of fish... Tuna,salmon, talapia, also try and avoid wheat if you can it causes skin inflammation. Stick to a wheat free or a 100%sprouted wheat bread. I use ezekiel bread its so good. Thats all I can say man.. Good luck.

2 times a week is fine man.. also try salmon.. and talapia is very good and tasty. Almond butter tastes great and doesn't have different oils and hormones like pb has. And yes ezekiel bread is used with sprouted wheat which wont cause acne..

Nice.

I could probably also add a couple of avocados to my green smoothies. Not sure how that would turn out, but it's worth a shot.

eat the avocados with meat, not smoothies haha it would taste horrible..

crap I eat tuna like everyday!! must have mercury through my whole body hahahhaha

eat the avocados with meat, not smoothies haha it would taste horrible..

crap I eat tuna like everyday!! must have mercury through my whole body hahahhaha

How you calculate your energy need?

You need to find out your BMR plus your honest activity level.

This will be the amount you need to maintain your current weight.

Divide this amount by 5

The result is the amount of calories you have to eat at each meal at regular intervals of 3 hour in order to maintain your weight.

Now add a 6th meal of 500 calories using the same healthy foods you use to keep your skin clear.

Do resistance training three times a week one day on and one day off.

That's it.