Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dude

acne questions

I have had an acne issue for many years. I have started to gain some control over it using several expensive products. I have three acne related questions I'm hoping you can help me with. First, I notice that acne products usually have 1 of 2 main ingredients, either Salicylic acid or Benzoyl Peroxide; which one provides better results? The second question, I have very oily skin, I continually wash with acne products and it's oily again within a couple hours, is there anything I can do or take to decrease the oil production? Finally, are you able to do a comparison of the acne products Proactiv, Lab Series for Men and Clinique skin products for men?

Benzoyl peroxide is the most effective topical for killing p.acnes but has no keratolytic action.

Salicylic Acid is a keratolytic (it exfoliates the skin and inside the pore) but is not so good at killing p.acnes.

They both provide good results which result from completely different product actions. Personally, I follow the regimen which is based around bp...this suits me well as I don't suffer from blackheads. Most people who use the regimen end up in the longterm including some kind of exfoliant ie: an aha moituriser, a facial scrub, a bha product. These kind of ingredients can promote irritation so they have to be combined slowly over time and with some skill.

Are you overwashing? That is washing more than twice a day, for more than 20 seconds in one go, scrubbing or rubbing the skin, using any product which is alkaline or contains strong solvents or alcohols. Overwashing can dry your skin in the short term but promote a big spike in sebum production to compensate.

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php...9126&highlight=

This is a good but long article that is worth a read.

Can't answer your question about specific products as I don't know their ingredients.

yea man, just wash twice daily....i have better results not using any wash, just water......does the trick for oily skin (try it for a week or so)

glad that water is working for you. But for most this will not usually cut it. As oil and water don't mix. To cleanse you usually need a cleanser which contains some sort of surfactant to remove excess sebum and non water soluble dirts; and humectant ingredients like glycerin, glycols etc etc which will bind the water to the skin. This sort of combo should clean the skin, reduce the oil, but leave it hydrated and therefore less likely to become either dry or oily.