Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eyeboy

are any treatments permanent?!?!

Hi guys, first off, I'm a 23 year old asian guy with depressed scne scars on his forehead, temples and cheeks...

I had several chemical peels done, 5 fraxels, and have booked a subcision with a plastic surgeon in two week's time.

I did ask the doctor that did my fraxel if the results are permanent, he said yes. But I've seen several sites discussing skin needling and treatments as such which said that 'results are long lasting' or 'results can last for many years'.

Does this mean that once I stop treatment after maybe 10 years all my depressed scars will start reappearing again?!?! GOD I HATE THOSE SCARS!!

Any inputs guys??

Treatments that provide permanent result are usually harsh procedures like CO2 laser, Erbium laser and Phenol peel. I am a fan of erbium laser and I will have my first treatment late this month and erbium has less downtime compare to CO2 and Phenol chemical peeling, but may require few treatments to get the desire result compare to CO2 and Phenol which require one treatment to get the maximum result but risks will be higher as well. Don't waste money on smoothbeam, cooltouch and ipl. Fraxel is good only if you have punch grafting done beforehand.

Treatments that provide permanent result are usually harsh procedures like CO2 laser, Erbium laser and Phenol peel. I am a fan of erbium laser and I will have my first treatment late this month and erbium has less downtime compare to CO2 and Phenol chemical peeling, but may require few treatments to get the desire result compare to CO2 and Phenol which require one treatment to get the maximum result but risks will be higher as well. Don't waste money on smoothbeam, cooltouch and ipl. Fraxel is good only if you have punch grafting done beforehand.

All treatments (unless they are transient filler types) are as permanent as your organ is capable of being. That is, I hope you are not expected line free skin by the time your 60 years old.

The only thing I can add to this thread, is that when you have redness taken out of a scar through use of lasers, the results are permanent.

Good luck.

Idnha

Eyeboy,

The websites you looked at were probably phrasing it that way because these lasers have been around for a relatively short time, so although it probably is permanent, they're just covering their backs since the very long term results have yet to be seen.

Did you see significant improvement in your scarring from five sessions of Fraxel? I'm interested in getting this done for my scars since it seems to be effective with little to no down time.

The results from my saline injections are permanent. The saline gets absorbed very quickly. I look for the permanent results from the injections about one - two weeks later.

Ablative lasers and dermabrasion are also permanent.

Temporary fillers can leave permanent results behind as well, it just takes a long time. Because the skin will fill a little tiny bit for each set of injections. It's from the minor injury to the skin.

Results from needling & dermarolling would also have to be permanent.

Permanence of any type of treatment would also depend on aftercare. Like daily use of a sunscreen... not picking... ect.

The websites you looked at were probably phrasing it that way because these lasers have been around for a relatively short time, so although it probably is permanent, they're just covering their backs since the very long term results have yet to be seen.

Eyeboy,

Did you see significant improvement in your scarring from five sessions of Fraxel? I'm interested in getting this done for my scars since it seems to be effective with little to no down time.

Hey yeah I have to say I did see improvements from maybe about 30%?? with improvements to my pores as well. Overall my skin tone looks better. But one fraxel for me costs about AU$1000, and somehow for that I expect better results than what I got. My doc did use quite an aggressive treatment for asian skin (chinese skin tone), and some treatments he also went double passing (8X2 passes) with 35-50mJs.

But I would say go for it, afterall it did improve my skin tone.

I'm really looking into subcicion and needling now to break up further scar tissue. Those damn little buggers....