Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys. I'm almost 18 and have had acne for a few years. It used to be much worse, but now my skin is a little better. I still get a lot of whiteheads though. Recently, I've been getting larger acne that is deeper into the skin, like cysts. They are red, painfull, large..you guys know.

I've tried Dan's regimen four of five times, and each time I get back on it, my face gets very irritated. It feels like I have allergies- my skin is sensitive, red, and my eyes water a lot. I've heard that this was normal after the first few weeks, but I've tried to get back on the benzoil peroxide for months at a time. My face reacts like this with any face cleaning product with benzoil peroxide, and no matter how long I use it.

So I've tried salicilic acid based products, which work much better, but dry my face out way too much. The dry skin and flakyness, I can live with. What I can't live with, is when my skin reacts to the dryness and becomes very oily later in the day. This, of course, brings more acne.

Lately, I've found the only thing that helps is working out, getting as much sleep as I can, and only washing my face with water. It seems like anything I use just irritates my face.

I've been trying out a lot of different things the last few years, and nothing works. I have a deeper acne spot on my cheek today, which is healing, but I'm finally frustrated. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Thanks

I would advise seeing a dermatologist ... you obviously have very sensitive skin. Drugstore topicals are probably going to hurt more than they'll help.

I don't really want to get on any medication. And don't have much time or money to pay a doctor. It's been a last option in my mind, but if it's my only option, I could find a way I guess.

Could I do anything that doesn't require seeing a doctor?

I don't really want to get on any medication. And don't have much time or money to pay a doctor. It's been a last option in my mind, but if it's my only option, I could find a way I guess.

Could I do anything that doesn't require seeing a doctor?

Yup yup. You could do aspirin masks - those help with redness and dry up pimples. You could change your diet as you see fit, most people cut out dairy and/or grains.

Browse the site and the Holistic board.

I haven't tried the asprin yet, thanks.

As far as diet, I eat very healthy, but I guess I do eat a lot of grains and dairy products.

Are those proven to make acne worse? I've heard from some that they do, and others the opposite.

If you want to find out if dairy and grains affect you then you can try eliminating them form your diet and see if there is an improvement. It is different for everyone.