Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snack

Gave in and ordered some Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel.

I've been off Accutane for 2 months and my skin is mostly clear but I'm starting to get some mild breakouts in my T-zone, particularly on my nose. My understanding is that this product, perhaps combined with some sort of retinoid (Green cream, perhaps?) is very effective in preventing breakouts. Does that sound about right?

I have also heard that there should be no purging with this product because it isn't having any effect on oil glands like retinoids do. Is that true as well? I guess that would mean if I break out it's likely to NOT improve over time and is a reaction to my skin rather than a purging effect? Just trying to get a sense of what I should be expecting.

Also, completely random, are whiteheads considered inflamed or non-inflamed acne? Just curious.

I have also heard that there should be no purging with this product because it isn't having any effect on oil glands like retinoids do. Is that true as well? I guess that would mean if I break out it's likely to NOT improve over time and is a reaction to my skin rather than a purging effect? Just trying to get a sense of what I should be expecting.

There is a purging period. It doesnt affect the oil glands but it causes the sebum to be pushed out of the pore. Could result in blackheads appearing more visible at first, increased oiliness, and even inflamed acne (if it becomes inflamed just dab some BP on it).

You have to give it about two weeks - two months to see your final results. (and your skin will continue to improve as time goes on)

I've just been spending the last half hour reading about it and ordered it too... I'll post back after I've used it for a while

There is a purging period. It doesnt affect the oil glands but it causes the sebum to be pushed out of the pore. Could result in blackheads appearing more visible at first, increased oiliness, and even inflamed acne (if it becomes inflamed just dab some BP on it).

You have to give it about two weeks - two months to see your final results. (and your skin will continue to improve as time goes on)

I've been using this about 3 days now, morning and night. I haven't noticed a difference yet, which was to be expected... I haven't started purging yet, and have had no irritation. Face feels a bit tight before I put moisturizer on, but it doesn't feel dry... I like this stuff so far, just because I've never been able to use a topical without getting irritated immediately. At the moment I have mild comedonal/inflammatory acne....

I'm liking it. Since it's pushing the gunk out, I'd think there'd be the possibility of a purge. Topical retinoids cause a purge because they increase cell turnover, which BHA also does to a lesser extent.