Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Great Reizo

Glycemic Index Made Easy?

I am adopting a diet that is eliminating dairy and high glycemic foods. Even after researching and looking through charts it doesn't cover EVERYTHING. I need a way to tell what foods are high, low, medium etc. I really want to eat these fruit bars that are organic and contain whole grains and fruits, but it has traces of dairy and my instincts tell me to veer from it. I also have organic pop tarts that are vegan and are organic. Any ideas?

Hmm, well I see the GI as being about carbs - which it is... I think.

Anyway, I've cut out 98% of carbs from my diet (as well as dairy and citrus), except for whole grain brown rice, which I believe is alright.

You can try complete exclusion and start adding in things that you're not sure about, seeing how they affect you.

Don't take GI too seriously. When it comes down to it, taking in 200 grams of carbohyrate from low GI foods is still going to raise your insulin undesirably. I think the most important thing to is to lower your total carbohydrate intake; then, as long as you choose unrefined foods and make sure that your meals are a good source of fat, glycemic index will come naturally.

what the hell is a sciart bulb?

It's a blue light acne therapy device made from SciArt. I am selling it. Ooh I am wondering R...What should I lower my carb count to? I am also wondering if it is okay to eat things that contain small amounts of gluten and powdered milk...I have these fruit bars that are organic but I did notice these ingredients...Let me know!

Don't take GI too seriously. When it comes down to it, taking in 200 grams of carbohyrate from low GI foods is still going to raise your insulin undesirably.

Levels of insulin are actually more dependant on carb absorption rate than total carbohydrates.

Yes carbohydrates will cause insulin to be released (just like proteins) but it's a completely benign process to allow the transporter (insulin) to send the nutrients molecules to the cells. Done the vital job insulin levels goes back to normal. 200 grams of carbohydrates is not much and is just 40% for a 2000 calories diet. It might be much for a 1300 calories diet but no one, not even girls, should go that low on calories not even when dieting to lose weight.

I really want to eat these fruit bars that are organic and contain whole grains and fruits, but it has traces of dairy and my instincts tell me to veer from it. I also have organic pop tarts that are vegan and are organic. Any ideas?

It's unlikely that anything you buy in bar or pop tart form are low GI.

You could try making these from Furhman's site:

Yummy Banana-Oat Bars

Serves: 8

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

* 2 cups quick oats (not instant)

* 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)

* 1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates

* 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

* 2 large ripe bananas, mashed

* 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (optional)

* 1 tablespoon date sugar (optional)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix ingredients together in a large bowl.

Press dough in a 9"X 9" baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.

Cool on wire rack. When cool, slice into squares or bars and serve.

Does SciArt kill the bacteria on the face so that infections are less common?

Is it like the at-home heat and light treatment that have hit the market?

Does SciArt kill the bacteria on the face so that infections are less common?

Is it like the at-home heat and light treatment that have hit the market?

The blue light is visible light at 415 nm, just within the blue light spectrum. The light emanates this wavelength of light to activate free radicals that destroy the bacteria that cause the acne lesions. It works in a similar way to Benzoyl Peroxide.

So here is another thing...For foods/drinks that aren't good for acne. Is it okay to LIMIT them? I would prefer to CUT them out completely but so far I've had a really hard time doing it. I've been explaining to my mom about why I am doing what I'm doing and she just doesn't get it... So there is very little here for me to eat. It sucks. By the way, does anyone know any good BULK size Omega 3, 6, 9 tablets for cheap? I am running out. I also need a superb multivitamin preferably without iodine that will provide another effective weapon for my holistic regimen.

So here is another thing...For foods/drinks that aren't good for acne. Is it okay to LIMIT them?

What drinks are you talking about? If you are talking about sodas or other sweetened drinks, then no, it's not ok to just limit them. They are the worst. Completely cut out any sweet or high GI food that you do not have with/after a healthy fat/protein/fiber filled meal.

By the way, does anyone know any good BULK size Omega 3, 6, 9 tablets for cheap? I am running out. I also need a superb multivitamin preferably without iodine that will provide another effective weapon for my holistic regimen.

Why are you taking omega 6 and 9? There's too much omega 6 in our food today and 9 isn't hard to get either. Try olive oil.

And my multi doesn't have idodine and is high in nutrients beneficial for acne, liver, etc. It's NSI synergy Basic version 2 which I buy from vitacost. It comes in 2 capsules.

So here is another thing...For foods/drinks that aren't good for acne. Is it okay to LIMIT them?

What drinks are you talking about? If you are talking about sodas or other sweetened drinks, then no, it's not ok to just limit them. They are the worst. Completely cut out any sweet or high GI food that you do not have with/after a healthy fat/protein/fiber filled meal.

Oh...So you are saying it's okay to be more lenient as long as I have a healthy meal to go along with the shitfood?

What drinks are you talking about? If you are talking about sodas or other sweetened drinks, then no, it's not ok to just limit them. They are the worst. Completely cut out any sweet or high GI food/drink that you do not have with/after a healthy fat/protein/fiber filled meal.

Oh...So you are saying it's okay to be more lenient as long as I have a healthy meal to go along with the shitfood?

Yes, if you are trying to avoid blood sugar spikes, it's the whole meal that matters. But if you are allergic/intolerant, it might not matter what you eat it with. You will still get an allergic reaction or won't be able to digest it. But still, some people are more sensitive than others. There are people here that say they can't have any sugar or even fruit without breaking out.