Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I used 10% glycolic acid lotion for like 3 months and I really believe it helped a lot with my skin. When I first started using it, of course it really irritated my skin, but after a month or so of using it, my skin responded much better. I got pretty much clear for a couple months and thereafter didn't use the glycolic acid very much.

Anyway, in the last couple of weeks I started breaking out again, so I stepped up the usage of the glycolic acid. Before it had really helped stop zits from surfacing that were on their way, and sent them retreating. When I felt or saw one forming under the skin, I would pile on the glycolic acid and it would go away in a couple days. I also used it all over my face as a preventative measure.

Instead it caused several new pimples to form over night in places where I normally don't even get them. It made the ones I had way worse, and brought old faded dark marks completely back to life!

Of course it took a couple days for me to figure out what was going on. I tried to blame it on anything but the glycolic acid, it had helped so much in the past and I never had a bad reaction to it. Over the next week I experimented to try and see if I could pin it on anything else, meanwhile had I stopped using the glycolic acid for a few days. I wanted to be sure, so I tried it again, and things went from bad to worse to horrible. It causes really bad inflammation where ever it touches my skin, and as stated above: it brings my old marks back to life, causes new ones to form, and makes current ones wayyyy worse.

I went from virtually clear skin, to looking terrible in about two weeks. And primarily I have glycolic acid to thank for it. My only conclusion is that I have somehow developed a bad allergy to it. It is important to note that I used it for months before this happened. Now I'm in hiding for however long it takes me to get better...

Not trying to scare anyone away from using glycolic acid, like I said it really worked great for a couple months; but if you begin to suspect that its making things worse, you may want to stop before it develops into a full-blown breakout cycle. I certainly wish I had.

Hmm, can't say I've ever heard of that before, but people can develop allergies to all sorts of things so I guess it has to happen sometimes. I'm sorry to hear about your bad reaction, but thanks for sharing this information so that other people can watch out for this!

holy cow. same thing happened to me. glycolic helped me the first month, then i started to notice a small patcch of bumps on my skin. i neglected it at first because it was tiny and thought it would go. so i continued glyolic.

to my horror, it got worse, glycolic pronounced them, made my skin pink and it stung. i stopped the products. but then that small patch of tiny bumps has already taken over my entire face.

i dunno if it's just coincidence, but i do think that glycolic acid brought this on. i had clear skin before and i just wanted to improve complexion more like hyperpigmentation, so my derm gave me glycolic acid cream. thought it was working at first, but in the end, it has made my skin the worse it has ever been. everyone has been asking me what happened to my face. gets me down.

Wow, that's a strange reaction. For me, glycolic is a lifesaver. It's a shame that your skin reacts that way.

Have any of you with bad reactions to glycolic acid tried other AHAs like mandelic? It might work better; people respond so differently.

I've tried Lactic and Mandelic. Lactic unfortunately does the same thing, which I wouldn't quite qualify as allergic, just adverse.

I've been sing Vivant's Mandelic Serum for about 1 month now, not every day, about 3 of 5 or so. It seems to be working well, too early to really judge though.

I'm actually back on BP. And it's only been a few days but my skin is definitely improving.

I've been clear on BP for a year. then stopped for 2 months and went on glycolic. Hell broke loose. So now I am confident to say that BP is the only thing that has worked wonders for me.

I used AHA for about a year and then suddenly started to get red, itchy, almost hive-like bumps on my face, particularly my chin area. I eliminated all products to find what the culprit was and as soon as I added AHA back into my routine, it happened again. I am so disappointed because it fit so well into my routine and I woke up with flake-free, radiant skin. I felt it worked better than many OTC retinoids I tried. Back to the drawing board.

The exact same thing happened to to me. I used Dan's AHA acid for about two months and it worked great. I stopped for about a month and when I began again I noticed that I would get this small bump very quickly after I used it, and it would go away a couple hours after my skin was free of AHA acid. It just hit me that it could be an allergic reaction because the bump finally developed into a full blown pimple suddenly over night. It sucks because AHa worked great, and I'd like to keep using it. The bumps seemingly had an "inflated" appearance, and were itchy and red. However I noticed I'd get a similar bump near the same place a couple months ago when my mum made a pasta that I liked, but it never developed into a zit.