Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clown Girl

Accutane. Diet. Accutane. Diet

Hello Beautiful people! I was wondering if any of you considered changing your diet before accutane or are already on a different diet while on accutane? For me, I was [this] close to taking antobiotics but I was afraid it would be unnatural. So I've been on this diet [religiously] and wow my skin has been clearing up rapidly in a weekend [if you want to know about what i've been eating, just comment me or something]. Anywhoo, I've been asking these accutane and diet questions because I've noticed more people turn to accutane than diet. haha alright, ciao.

for diet didn' work and it's just to impractical at this point in my life.......once i got on accutane though i found i could eat anything and it didn't matter

I didn't consider diet before accutane because all doctors insisted there was no diet connection. However, accutane and all the antibiotics and topicals I was given did nothing for me.

Years later I made diet changes and my skin cleared.

Yeah my story is pretty much just like alternativista's.

Although Accutane worked for me for about a year, but then the acne started coming back.

For me:

Accutane = temporary solution

Diet = permanent solution

I think it's just different for everyone. I already have a very healthy diet, and I suspect if I made some further changes it might have some impact on my skin, but I don't think diet alone is enough to cure me. I think it helps to address the problem from a combination of fronts. For some diet is "the" answer, for others just a part of the puzzle.

My two biggest problems with the dietary approach are:

1). It's damn near impossible to get the 3000-3500 calories a day I'm trying to average to gain weight if you cut out half the crap people suggest you do. For example, just from fruit consumption alone (well, if you include protein shakes as a source), natural sugars make up probably close to 15% of my caloric intake. And try as I might to experiment I see no viable way to reduce that without lowering calories overall.

2). It's not socially sustainable. I'm not going to go to a friend's house for dinner and be like, "Oh, sorry, I can't eat this, it'll break me out."

So those are my limitations, but I still try to do my best.

I tried the diet thing and other than Accutane and Antibiotics it cleared me up more than any other product available. Even though I am on Accutane I still maintain a strict diet, gets kind of boring but it works. Bowl of oatmeal + apple for breakfast. Salad or a whole grain sandwich for lunch, salad + low protein meat + more raw vegies + 1 glass of milk for Accutane absorbtion. Once I finish Accutane I will cut out the milk completley as I find it to be a major contributor to my aggravated skin.

I tried the diet thing and other than Accutane and Antibiotics it cleared me up more than any other product available. Even though I am on Accutane I still maintain a strict diet, gets kind of boring but it works. Bowl of oatmeal + apple for breakfast. Salad or a whole grain sandwich for lunch, salad + low protein meat + more raw vegies + 1 glass of milk for Accutane absorbtion. Once I finish Accutane I will cut out the milk completley as I find it to be a major contributor to my aggravated skin.

Hi Clowngirl

I was on Perricone's diet for a few days but I couldn't keep it up because of the dietary restrictions. I think the diet was meant for women, because how can a dude survive on the calorie intake based on Perricone's diet (1/4 cup of berries and 1/2 cup of oatmeal for breakfast)? Also, it gets really troublesome when I am outside because I have to eat the same food and fruits over and over, and not everywhere has salmon and cantaloupe. Besides, I had so much salmon that the thought of it makes me wanna puke. This diet ia quite expensive too.

I am now on a low GI diet, which is basically what Perricone is advocating, with significant amounts of nuts, fruit and salad. It's more tolerable. I don't want to come to any conclusion yet because it's still early days, but I'm quite optimistic. I'll probably update after a month.

if I had the money I would go for accutane, I still have my diet based on whole foods, not refined carbs but I have break outs.. and cutting more than I had is going to be harsh and I would be losing too much weight so if accutane gets rid of those break outs while being on a good diet it's ok for me

if I had the money I would go for accutane, I still have my diet based on whole foods, not refined carbs but I have break outs.. and cutting more than I had is going to be harsh and I would be losing too much weight so if accutane gets rid of those break outs while being on a good diet it's ok for me

actually I've been thinking of buying a topical retinoid like diacneal.. seems less harmful than accutane and its side effects

Yeah, I guess I didn't mean Accutane specifically, just a medical approach in general. There are some really good topicals out there I guess that won't irritate the skin but are probably very compatible with a holistic approach.

I don't think you can really chalk it up to your diet working if your taking Accutane imo.

Imo it differs for different ppl. I never tried a serious diet though because imo, I don't have the time and the stress involved with managing what seems like a really complicated list of foods would kill me.

I go to school, work, and live by myself. What I do is just avoid soda and milk and rely on topicals. Also take supplements.

I did take 2 courses of Accutane which helped, but did not completely take away my acne. I had semi/serious acne. If I was a girl planning to have a baby in the future, I would be more wary of having accutane.

Accutane is also cheap here in Canada. It only costs me 40 bucks for 60 40 mg pills.

1$ for one 40 mg pill. Talking to some US posters, it seems like it can get pretty expensive there.

I think that everyone is an individual, there is no set treatment that will work for every case of acne. I have found that Dans regimen clears me up amazingly, but I HAVE to avoid dairy (I can still have the occasional ice cream or butter on toast). If I don't avoid dairy then I get many cysts which don't respod to treatment :(

But I used to really binge on dairy, cut it out and skin improved within a week. Diet definately has some effect on acne.

I just want to know how you aren't rapidly losing weight with a diet like that. That has to be like 1500 calories max.

If I had to choose between gaining weight with a healthy caloric intake and controlling my skin with products versus having flawless skin from diet and essentially being a skeleton (which I already practically am thanks to uber metabolism), I'm going to go with the former. :l

If only I were fat... >.>

I just want to know how you aren't rapidly losing weight with a diet like that. That has to be like 1500 calories max.

If I had to choose between gaining weight with a healthy caloric intake and controlling my skin with products versus having flawless skin from diet and essentially being a skeleton (which I already practically am thanks to uber metabolism), I'm going to go with the former. :l

If only I were fat... >.>

When I was on accutane I actually had to stop because of my dangerously high trigylcerides. So for me I had to stay away from sugars and high glycemic index foods. I think it just depends on how you're body reacts with the medicine.