Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
novembershadow

old-school derm admits defeat, says bad diet=acne

so I had a derm appt today to pick up accutane RX. Now this may not seem like a shocker to most of us, and many forward-thinking derms would have agreed a long time ago, but keep in mind that this guy is the 50-ish, stuffy, uppity, type of derm that I think everyone has had at some point. Throws accutane around like candy (which I'm not complaining about), kind of smirks when you ask a question, tries to limit his interaction with you to under 2 minutes, etc...and last year I made some offhand comment about my skin getting worse after the holidays, eating too much sugar, and he gave me one of those condescending smiles and told me diet didn't cause acne.

so today after he handed me the RX, he was like (uncomfortably): "Oh and ah...one more thing."

"Yes?"

"We're now recommending that our acne patients follow a low glycemic diet for optimal clearing... (gives me this handout on the basics of the glycemic index, what foods to avoid, etc...what you'd expect, basically...avoiding refined sugars/carbs, including protein and fiber with every meal)...

and this is the bonus...

"We're also now realizing the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids in a variety of skin conditions, so you might find it helpful to add a fish oil supplement to your daily diet."

SCORE!!!

They are learning....slowly they are all learning!

Well the old ways of just topicals and meds are slowly going out the door.

Diet is more important then what you use to wash your face.

I loved the way you wrote that. It was so damn funny! I almost choked! Oh those silly little derms, I know the type. At least yours sounded like he could look you in the eye. My derm seems to have ADD whenever I have a question, and about the food thing when I asked him- he gave me a big fat skeptical look like " Oh poor stupid child"and I swear he was going to pat me on the head or something. I'm glad your doctor said that, maybe they will all start admitting the truth from here on out. I'd like to stand western trained dermatologist in a row and kick one of them in the butt, so they all fall down like dominoes, lol :)

ps. EFA's? REALLY??!!... I heard about those like 5 years ago, and they are just suggesting them now. Its such a shame.

Hilarious and amazing. Maybe he reads this board! :)

It reminds me of the dermatologist who told me that my birth control pills had no connection with my acne, and then told me I have mercury poisoning from eating broccoli.

I'd also like to know what country?

My uncle is a surgeon and he said that although studies say diet doesn't cause acne, he always tells his patients to clean up their diet and that it actually does cause acne.

Only American doctors don't believe it, lol.

Hilarious and amazing. Maybe he reads this board! :)

It reminds me of the dermatologist who told me that my birth control pills had no connection with my acne, and then told me I have mercury poisoning from eating broccoli.