Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
happyexceptforacne

Acne and the gym (or rather, not going to the gym)

:( Is working out with makeup on really that bad? It's the only way I am semi-comfortable going to the gym or yoga class. I haven't been in a whole month because my skin has made me so depressed, and every time I go without makeup, people stare at me.

I used to exercise every day, but acne has rendered me too embarrassed to go. Anyone else deal with this anxiety surrounding workouts?

Ya I know what your feeling. When my skin was tolerable I would hit the gym everyday after work, then a breakout would occur and I would be stuck working out at home and jogging at night for fear of people looking awkwardly at me. I think its more in our heads than anything but it sure can fuck with your mind. I would often see people at the gym with skin worse than mine but I didn't really care because it wasn't my skin. That was around the time I started Accutane, now im just too feeble to work out... Oh well couple more months ....

i have a membership at a 24 hour gym so i just go at night.. its nice because i have the whole place to myself and dont have to worry about anyone seeing my skin

i'm the same way! i hate not working out so i just wear mineral make-up or alamy skin clearing make-up. I would rather go to the gym than stay home in a rut. Just go with make-up, you'll feel better in the long run and just take a shower as soon as you get home. Well just wanted to let you know you aren't alone!

Just work out at home. Whenever my skin is bad I go to the gym anyways, but there have been a few times it got really bad I just stayed home and did push-ups situps.

First of all....no one cares

Its different if you feel anxiety at school or the mall or work...but at the gym? No one gives a shit what your skin loooks like. Frankly, everyone just wants to get in there, work out, then get the fuck out...they go tehre to work out not to give a shit about a guy who WALKED BY's skin....

You dont have to interact with anyone...just exercise...no one cares seriously....again its different at other places, the gym is the one place where you shouldnt be a bitch

i used makeup for a while when my skin was realy bad, no one noticed and i felt confident. i go to the gym regardless of my skin cuz they dont care and i love to life weights

Yeah, gyms are full of people who are showing off and only see themselves, haha. I used to go to the gym and didn't care either, it was too expensive though so i started to do some slight workout at home.

edit: Also, i felt quite comfortable at the gym. I had some bad acne back than and felt more comfortable there than on the street. Never had the feeling anybody would be staring at me. In fact, many hardcore guys who use steroids have some bad (body) acne themself.

Just wear a brown paper bag with eye holes, and just start working out. lol jk That would be funny, and weird to see someone do that. But seriously, you should just go to the gym, and not worry about what other people think of you.

Well I'm in High School and I run TRACK...in other words I see the same people everyday. I try not to let it bother me so much and you shouldn't either. Who cares what people you don't know are going to think of you. They'll probably think oh that person has bad skin and continue on with their workout. Their seriously not going to be studing your face. Cheer up and go back to working out...

exactly.. Of course they will notice it....but like this guy said, they will be on the lifting or something and see your face, think "that guy has bad skin" and continue with what they were doing...they dont give a shit

the gym is actually one of the one places you can go to relax and just workout.....atleast they will see that you are staying fit instead of sitting at home playing xbox

Having Acne stopped me from going to the Gym my whole life, even before I got Acne, and after it went away, I still never went to the Gym :(

:( Is working out with makeup on really that bad? It's the only way I am semi-comfortable going to the gym or yoga class. I haven't been in a whole month because my skin has made me so depressed, and every time I go without makeup, people stare at me.

I used to exercise every day, but acne has rendered me too embarrassed to go. Anyone else deal with this anxiety surrounding workouts?

I felt self-concious going alone..but not only because of my acne...the gym I went to was like a meat market...My friend and I ended planning times where we could go workout together...it took my mind off any concerns I was having and made working out more enjoyable...and I was also held more accountable to go work out because I knew my friend was planning on going at the same time and or we needed to carpool together...

Now I mainly walk/run outside...it's cheaper and and I find, more calming. I wouldn't worry too much, in the long run(pun intended) :) it will help your overall mental/physical health to exercise than to hide at home. Try to find a friend to go with or a group of people you feel comfortable around...

You'd be surprised how many people are self-conscious at the gym and how much time they spend worrying about the way they look. Chances are most people are too concerned with themselves to notice you. Most of the time, they only look at people they envy. It's human nature to look to those that are better than us and make ourselves feel depressed. So if anyone is looking at you it's because they envy you.

I'm a girl, but it's funny that a lot of people in their replies assumed I was a guy. I think it's actually worse to be a girl with acne, because we're expected to be soooo pretty. It's true!