Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khrysalis

Overdry cracked skin? Red as a lobster? Flaky and miserable?

If you can get past the goop factor, good old fashioned petroleum jelly works wonders at healing unhappy skin. I wore a petroleum jelly mask to bed over the weekend (really gooped in on), threw an old sheet over my pillow, and tried to sleep. It wasn't easy. It was really goopy and gross, but somehow I managed to get some sleep. The next morning when I gently washed all that goop off my face (using my hands and a gentle cleanser--don't rub or scrub) all this dead skin came off with it. When I patted my face with a towel my skin looked great! That awful goopy process had restored much of the balance to my skin, as well as removed alot of the dead skin. My skin looked years younger! Best of all, I didn't have to quit the regimen. My skin was saved! :dance:

The big mistake I had made was not using a moisturizer from day one. :naughty: I thought I didn't need it since my skin produces so much oil, and this worked beautifully for several days and my acne cleared right up. But my skin sure didn't like it, and it gave me hell until I listened. I moisturize now! :D

Quitting and starting over may end up being the right choice for you, but I'd try this first before throwing in the towel. Petroleum jelly won't clog pores (really!) or irritate skin. Plus it's cheap and chances are you've already got some in your medicine cabinet collecting dust. Hope it works for you!

Debra in CT

Footnote: The results you get from the petroleum jelly mask are only a temporary reprieve. Ultimately you will still most likely have to tweak your regimen in order to keep your skin comfortable and happy. Find out what you're doing or what you're using that's making your skin react so disagreeably.

Debra

I use petroleum jelly on my dry hands and feet but wouldn't it cause break outs on the face? I'm scared to try this ):

A lot of ingredients that claim to be noncomedogenic break me out. Patroleum jelly is one of those things. Its too bad my skin is so sensitive

A lot of ingredients that claim to be noncomedogenic break me out. Patroleum jelly is one of those things. Its too bad my skin is so sensitive

What are all the things that break you out? I tried jojoba oil and it broke me out. ):

I figure I need to find fellow sensitive skin sufferers and avoid what breaks them out.

One of the fellow sensitive skin sufferers here!

Jojoba oil - worked for me during the first month but broke out crazy since.

Switched to Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer Gel. No new breakouts for one week now and it leaves my skin soft and smooth without overdrying/ moisturizing.

BP - never worked. Wrinkles all over and flaky skin.