Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lifesnoteasy

Acutane for my rosacea

Hi im really out of anwsers to finding anything that will make my skin look a bit normal

i was wondering if anyone on here has roscea and has taken acutane to help it a bit ..

i got the impresion if u take a very low dosage of acuntane it can help

has anyone tryed this and had success can anyone tell me whats the low dosage to be takin

Thank you for your help

have we been cursed?

I work for a dermatologist and I have never seen or heard of him prescribing Accutane for rosacea. Where did you hear this?

Accutane's job is to shut down the oil glands (by shrinking them to the size of a baby's) which is why it is prescribed for acne.

Treatment for rosacea are usually topical treatments and oral antibiotics, plus laser to treat the redness.

Know what your triggers are (sun, caffiene, alcohol, etc.) Be careful what products you are using on your skin, also.

I work for a dermatologist and I have never seen or heard of him prescribing Accutane for rosacea. Where did you hear this?

Accutane's job is to shut down the oil glands (by shrinking them to the size of a baby's) which is why it is prescribed for acne.

Treatment for rosacea are usually topical treatments and oral antibiotics, plus laser to treat the redness.

Know what your triggers are (sun, caffiene, alcohol, etc.) Be careful what products you are using on your skin, also.

well i have mild acne on my face and some on my body i herd that acutne taken on a low dosage can help with that and also help with the ainti inflam properites in rosacea

Yeah low dose tane can help rosacea, but it think that its only real benefits are against the paps and pimples. It is thought to have some anti inflam properties, but i would be very careful as it also thins your skin. Accutane caused my rosacea problems.

how can it help with rosacea if it causes your skin to get redder in the end? it seems like it would be counter-productive.

Hi -

There are several Low Dose Accutane studies on the internet. At low doses, Accutane can rid mild acne or pustules without blasting Rosacea (if you have it). Generally, low dose is 5mg - 20mg a day, depending on your weight. The more sensitive your skin and Rosacea, the lesser the dose should be to not "flare".

I had mild acne and also have Rosacea (mild-moderate). Mainly, I have some pinkness through my cheeks/nose region. My Derm. said if I stay low dose (at .5mg per KG of weight) then it would help the mild acne without blasting my Rosacea. I was on low dose, 10mg the first month and about 20mg day for months 2-8. It rid me of the mild acne by month two, cleared all my pores, all without making me redder. I've been off Tane now 4 months and the results continue.

Good luck.

Yvette

for the people that say tane made their skin more red, you were on a higher dose, right?

ive found that high dose accutane aggravates rosacea while low dose treats it.

what would be lose dose for someone of 140lbs?

Hi -

Are you being treated by a Derm.? Hopefully, they have you/your skin and interests in mind and will prescribe the lowest dose based on your skin conditions but to be effective.

If you look on the internet for low dose studies, you will find that some studies have used 5mg a day to upwards of 20mg a day. Know that with lower dose, you may need to take it longer than the traditional 4-6 months (at higher dose) to get a better cummulative dose. I was on it 8 months. I'm not a Derm. and don't know your skin type and conditions, but basically if you have Rosacea or sensitive skin, you should stay at or below .5mg per KG of weight a day. If you are 140lbs, this is about 70kg. Starting at 10mg or 20mg per day for the first few months would be good and then slightly upping the dose if needed from there. The key is taking the lowest amount (and possibly for a longer duration) to be effective for your symptoms while not blasting your skin out.

Good luck.

Yvette