Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
benny200

CAN RETIN A MAKE SCARS WORSE?

Hi, I have not posted on this forum before but have been reading many topics.

I have what i feel is severe acne scarring and probly every type of scar there is. from, ice piics to box scars and rolling scars

my question is can retin A make the appearance of acne scars worse?

I dont want to go for any kind of surgery but i dont want a cream that could make the scars stand out more.

Has anyone had bad experiences with RETIN A?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, I have not posted on this forum before but have been reading many topics.

I have what i feel is severe acne scarring and probly every type of scar there is. from, ice piics to box scars and rolling scars

my question is can retin A make the appearance of acne scars worse?

I dont want to go for any kind of surgery but i dont want a cream that could make the scars stand out more.

Has anyone had bad experiences with RETIN A?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, it can make your skin look raw or red after initial peeling stage which will make it look worse.

It will make you look a little worse for a while - as you will be redder. But this also depends on your skin type and how naturally red you are. Long term you will most likely look better, but it won't substantially help your scars.

Leslie

Used retin-A , renova, etc. products over years.

Everyone fails to mention that it can plump up your skin in the long run and with continued use make your scars look better. I guess there are a lot of variable, but for me, I think it helped a little. Nothing major, but definitely something.

Are you clear right now, and want to use it for scarring only (not acne control?)

My derm prescribed Retin-A for me after I finished Accutane, and cautioned that I would need to use a lot of moisturizer to prevent my skin from getting irritated from Retin-A. She said I could even mix it with my moisturiser and it would still be effective, but less drying.

This is just a guess, but I would think that Retin-A would not make your scars worse-like another poster said, they may appear worse if your skin becomes red and inflammed when you first start using Retin-A. Since you need a derm to prescribe it, have you thought about asking them about your concerns?

I think Retin-A has definitely made my scars look better (indented and red marks) and don't recall it seeming to make them worse. I've been diligent about using moisturiser and if my skin gets dry, I don't use Retin-A until it calms down. Of course, since everyone's skin is different and Retin-A is available by prescription, you may want to ask your derm. Let us know if you decide to try it and how it works for you :)

for myself, any acidic topicals made mine worse. i believe it (as well as glycolics, tca, etc.) may've revealed more extensive scarring as the layers were peeled away but i still don't know for sure. i can say using it did worsen my condition to a degree, with nothing to do with redness, rawness, other typical side effects of heavy use- but i think i reached a point where it stopped, so it may've just been because i had older scars. the scars in question were shallow boxcars.

Thanks for your comments. I am clear now and just want it to improve my skin.

im just worried it might make the scars deeper.

i will just try it on a few scars first and see how it goes

I use a retinoid, just a different one. I did notice it made my scars worse for a while. They seemed more visible. BUT...now I have fantastic improvement! I have been on the retinoid for 8 months now and in the last month or two I have seen dramatic improvement. But prior to that, my scars had looked worse. So I would say...even if it makes them look worse initially, keep with it. Retinoids stimulate collagen production, which will help fill in some of the scarring over time. But it does take quite a while.

I use a retinoid, just a different one. I did notice it made my scars worse for a while. They seemed more visible. BUT...now I have fantastic improvement! I have been on the retinoid for 8 months now and in the last month or two I have seen dramatic improvement. But prior to that, my scars had looked worse. So I would say...even if it makes them look worse initially, keep with it. Retinoids stimulate collagen production, which will help fill in some of the scarring over time. But it does take quite a while.

how much percentage of improvement would you say u have had with using a retinoid? has your skin thinned out?? im really curious cuz i was prescribed retisol a and im jus too scared to use it...

how much percentage of improvement would you say u have had with using a retinoid? has your skin thinned out?? im really curious cuz i was prescribed retisol a and im jus too scared to use it...

I would say 75% improvement right now...but it has taken a LOOOOONG time. No skin thinning. I have had skin thinning happen on certain other corticosteroids that I have to use for eczema.

Gosh, we really need a sticky for PROVEN topicals that work on scarring.

Retinoids are #1 in terms of long term trials and widespread adoption usage. Use it, you WILL improve, no question asked, in the long run.

Gosh, we really need a sticky for PROVEN topicals that work on scarring.

Retinoids are #1 in terms of long term trials and widespread adoption usage. Use it, you WILL improve, no question asked, in the long run.

I should be getting some tomorrow. il take some pics along the way and post in a few months

Cheers

The Retinoid i was prescribed is Retisol A which has sunscreen in it and was told to use it in the mornings, anyone think thats a bad idea?

what do u guys mean when u say it appears worse at first?

do ur scars look worse becuase they turn red and start to peel or do they look worse in terms of the scars look wider and or deeper?

what do u guys mean when u say it appears worse at first?

do ur scars look worse becuase they turn red and start to peel or do they look worse in terms of the scars look wider and or deeper?

For me, it was both. Redness (from irritation - only temporary) and wider/deeper. But my understanding is that scars widen before they start to fill in anyway.

can i use retin-a with a salicylic acid soap to wash my face before retin-a? i ask this bc i use this soap for about 4 years and i dont want to quit it, but if i need to use retin-a i can alternate the days.

tnks guys

COOL, there isnt much anecdotal evidence out there about how it helped peoples scarring. Actually, some people have said that is CAUSED scarring but Im not sure how that would happen. I cant imagine having to deal with my scars looking worse, but if its worth it in the end I will prob go ahead and have the guts to use it now.

How deep/shallow were your scars? Did the shallow ones worsen as well and did it take that long for them to improve or just the deeper ones? How bad was your IB?

Well, i've been using Retin A 0.5% for about 1,5 month and I can definitely say that my scars are worse now.

Somehow some marks that I thought were just red marks turned into indents. I really wonder how this is possible... In fact all of my scars have gotten deeper the last 3 months. It might be because my redmarks are fading. I dont know.

I'm gonna stick to it now though.

Edited by Diana86

Ive been using retin-a for years, say 11 now and it has helped tremendously with my acne scars but it does take awhile ;)

Edited by PinkPlayBunny

retinA can cause pretty bad breakouts, and for some reason, perhaps because the skin is more sensitive, delicate, weakened, ect that may increase the chances of scarring, maybe its due to the skin being less capable of repairing itself properly due to lack of moisture?

but im just hypothesising here, i like to ponder things :)

here is something better than ancedotal evidence, its another thread which is rather interesting

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html

not exactly sure how to make a link but its a good read :)

oh and this one is good if youre considering starting on a retinoid or if you're wondering what you can use it with (its only 1 post too)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Tips-topi...ds-t221818.html

im not sure if people have read these, but it answers a few things people have asked :)

My face is really dry when it has Retin A on.. is it possible to use a moisturizer? I heard it screws the effect of Retin A up?

Retina has been good to me. I noticed changes is less than a month. Just be patient. Second thing, I read an article in which studies showed that people who use retina actually have younger looking and more radiant skin. It glows more, it's stronger due to collagen build up, and less wrinkles show.

My face is really dry when it has Retin A on.. is it possible to use a moisturizer? I heard it screws the effect of Retin A up?

Retina has been good to me. I noticed changes is less than a month. Just be patient. Second thing, I read an article in which studies showed that people who use retina actually have younger looking and more radiant skin. It glows more, it's stronger due to collagen build up, and less wrinkles show.

I suggest using it less often. I use it every third day.

I agree, you have to be patient and i have noticed a HUGE improvement from my years of retin-a use!!! I noticed my skin is so much more smooth, scars are fading, and my skin glows, oh and by the way no one can tell my real age of 39 lol so thats a BIG PLUS in my book :dance:

I suggest using it less often. I use it every third day.

I agree, you have to be patient and i have noticed a HUGE improvement from my years of retin-a use!!! I noticed my skin is so much more smooth, scars are fading, and my skin glows, oh and by the way no one can tell my real age of 39 lol so thats a BIG PLUS in my book :dance:

Wow, from your picture I was think 17-20. Just wow.