Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been using Neut. On-The-Spot forever, never had problems with it.

Recently, I started using Neut. Oil Free Acne Wash as cleanser, which has Salicylic Acid in it.

Now when I put on my BP cream after I wash my face, it burns.

Could this be because I'm using SA & BP products? Should I discontinue use of one? Just use the wash and no BP maybe?

Help!

Hey!

Interestingly enough, a couple of days ago I read a thread on using an SA cleanser followed by a BP cleanser and what great results people get. I use an SA cleanser followed by 2.5% BP in the AM about 4 times per week, but only sometimes I notice I get a little red. It calms down after about 30 minutes, so there are no issues for me. Here is the thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=11566

Because you have been using the On-The-Spot forever, and actually I do use that brand frequently as my BP, and you have only recently started to use the SA cleanser and then began to experience burning, I would say it definitely has to do with the SA cleanser being followed up by the BP or that SA cleanser being too irritating to your skin. Read the thread as it's pretty good explaining how the SA cleans your pores/skin and allows better penetration of the BP. Because you are essentially chemically exfoliating with SA and the BP is being applied immediately thereafter, it might be too harsh for your particular skin.

I do love using acids with some BP, but I monitor my skin each and every day for signs of irritation, then back off when it looks annoyed. Sometimes it takes a switch in products for your type of skin. You don't want to irritate your skin. So here's what you might do...

- Obviously you don't need to check for irritation from the BP alone bc you have used it for so long with no problems.

- Check to see if you experience any stinging/burning/irritation by simply using the SA wash without applying the BP. That brand could be too irritating to you.

- If you experience no problems using each alone, application of the BP immediately following the wash might be what's causing it. You might try allowing your skin to dry more thoroughly, by allowing ten minutes in between wash time with the SA and application of the BP.

- If there is still irritation allowing more time in between wash time and application time, depending upon if you use BP twice daily or only once, you could use the SA wash the time you don't apply the BP. You could use your SA wash at night with no other acne topicals OR you could use your SA wash and then a topical application of an SA lotion. I've done this too with good results. Then you use your normal cleanser the time you will be using your On-The-Spot BP, in the AM. (Or obviously vice versa)

I don't know if the stinging/burning sensation immediately subsides, or if it makes you red and nasty and is irritating your skin. That thread talks about a tingling, but that is only temporary. Anyway, try some of the tips above to see what your skin can handle. There are definitely ways you can work around that situation and continue to use an SA product and BP product. The acids function differently than the BP, and I just love using both! I prefer my topical acids (GA, SA, LA, or MA) at night actually, then I feel my face is ready for the BP in the AM after my SA wash because the acids worked all night on my skin and the SA cleanser in the AM added to them!

Good luck!

the Salicylic Acid may be too strong. i believe its 3% which is the highest of high allowed in a otc wash. it may just take time to getting use to

atm i use 5% Salicylic Acid and 10% benzoyol peroxide. but when i started i was on 2.5% Salicylic Acid and 2.5% benzpyol peroxide

I've been using Neut. On-The-Spot forever, never had problems with it.

Recently, I started using Neut. Oil Free Acne Wash as cleanser, which has Salicylic Acid in it.

Now when I put on my BP cream after I wash my face, it burns.

Could this be because I'm using SA & BP products? Should I discontinue use of one? Just use the wash and no BP maybe?

Help!

I would recommend buying a different wash and use the bp instead. That was one of the worst cleansers Ive ever used and Ive used a lot. A lot of people on acne.org have had problems with that cleanser as well

I use an astringent with 2% SA in it, then I follow that up with Dan's 2.5% BP Gel, then moisturizer, and it works great. But it took a while for my face to get used to it. It was a lot to handle at first.

It also took a while for my face to get used to Dan's BP Gel, but now it's no problem. Maybe start with the weakest SA and BP products you can find and if you need to increase it later.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Okay, so this stuff is still burning my skin. If I use the BP alone, no burning. If I use this wash alone, no burning. Put them together = skin is red and burning for hours afterwards. It hurts!

I'm just not wanting to give up on this wash yet though; I've heard such good things about it.

I'm thinking maybe now in the morning just using Cetaphil gentle cleanser, which I love - and in the evening, using my Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, with no BP afterwards.

I'm worried if I stop using BP and just rely on the Cetaphil & SA wash, that it won't be enough to help my skin. So maybe instead of using the SA wash at night, I'll use either Cetaphil & BP lotion or Clean & Clear gentle cleanser and BP.

Ahh, dunno. Any help? I don't know if I should throw out this Neutrogena face wash or continue trying it. Something is hurting my skin.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Holy crap, I think you guys were right - this cleanser sucks. Never before has my skin looked so oily, felt so dry, and broken out this bad. WTF.

I seem to just have a problem in general with SA products. I've tried 4 so far, and each time, my skin goes crazy. Maybe it's the SA doing its job; maybe it's my skin purging; whatever it is, I've had enough!

Just BP from now on. And a gentle cleanser. Jessssssus.