Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
luppe

If you take a vitamin pill, what percentage do you absorb?

On average, what percentage of a vitamin pill do you absorb? I heard around 30-35%?

0-30% typically, but it varies a lot. Vitamin C would be better absorbed than an entire multivitamin, a B complex better than a mineral supplement, etc.

What I've been doing is dissolving all of my caplet supplements in apple cider vinegar, and then drinking the vinegar with some water. I think that by doing this I'm bypassing a lot of digestion and am thus getting much better absorption out of my supplements.

There's also a whole array of "food factors" that can affect absorption. Just as an example; cod liver oil is better absorbed in the presence of saturated fat which is why they recommend 1)taking it with a meal and some people go so far as to also recommend 2) taking it with good quality butter

Absorption may also depend (at least to some extent) on whether you SWALLOW WHOLE a small, hard pill or chew it up first, just like you do when you eat any other food. Don't be stupid, be SMART: chew-up all your supplements before swallowing, except for the ones specifically designed to be "time-release".