Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone who uses/used retin-a--how long did it take for your skin to get used to it? About four months ago, my derm prescribed retin-a .04% to me and I used it for about 2 1/2 months before I decided to stop. At first it reeeaaallly dried me out and made my skin SUPER red, even though I used it only once every third night for 2 weeks, then increased to every other night for 2 wks, and then used it every night after that, and I only used a pea-sized amount. My skin did start to get a little more used to it and I didn't have much acne at all, but I decided that I wanted to completely get rid of the redness. So the derm switched me to differin...but my face started breaking out again and got worse, though it was less red. So I decided that maybe I should have stuck w/ the retin-a and I've been using it now for a week, applying it every other night. I was at the beach Wednesday and Thurs., so my face got some sun even though I used 70 spf sunscreen, and I think that I might be a little burned (but not badly) so I'm pretty red and a little dry. I think my skin is going through the same process as it did the first time I used the retin-a, and I'm wondering how long other people's skin took to get used to it? Mine still wasn't completely used to it, even after 2 1/2 months...is that normal? anyone else have that problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i usually get persistant redness using most products including retin A, its always more noticable with a fair complexion :boohoo: , if this redness is to the point of where it has become very irritating you should definitly switch but if its doing its job it will be worth the redness in the long term

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different people have different levels of sensitivity to retinoids ... my skin never really got used to Retin A. I had better luck with a mild OTC retinoid.

I'm going to move this thread to the Prescriptions forum ..... you'll find more Retin A users over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My skin goes red when I apply the cream, then after about 20 - 30 mins it calms down, been on it for a long time though.

Might have been red alot when I first used it but I find not looking in the mirror helps get over the redness if it does. :)

Could always try mixing it with a moisturiser, I do that now, I mix it with Dermol cream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it really depends from person to person.

Same with me, my skin just can't tolerate retinoids without getting red (and as one of the above posters said, it might be because I have a very pasty complexion).

I used retinoids for a total period of 3+ years, 1+ years on Tazorac, and multiple months on Retin-A Micro and Differin, but throughout that entire time, my face responded well with acne, but never with the redness. I just decided to stop retinoids once and for all, because dealing with the redness (which was actually getting worse for me) was too much (there is actually a point where extreme redness if worse than acne, believe it or not).

So you should really monitor it closely, but if your ultimate goal is just to get rid of acne, redness might just be something you're willing to have to go through with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, thanks for responding! sorry i didn't reply sooner...haven't had much time to come on here. I think maybe the problem I was having before was that I wasn't moisturizing at night, only in the morning. So this time around, I moisturized religiously and kept the redness/dryness to a minimum. Now my skin is pretty much used to it :dance: .

Jorgea--I recommend Neutrogena Ultrasheer Drytouch 70 spf. It is a little expensive, but it is great for sensitive skin and provides good protection. Make sure that you check the ingredients of sunscreen and do NOT use it if it contains any kind of alcohol/acid. my derm told me not to use anything w/ that in it, and I used Neutrogena Healthy Defense Oil-Free w/o checking the ingredients anyway and my skin stung and felt like it was burning...then i checked the ingredients and it had both acids and alcohols in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×