Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nightflarer

help needed because I have red marks but am taking accutane

Hi everyone. I am 18 and have had acne for about two years now. About a year and a half ago, I started using topical creams like benzyclin (sp?) peroxide. While they stopped my acne for the most part, I still get breakouts every now and then. Destined to put a stop to all this madness, I started taking accutane a month ago (everything is going smoothly, although the very common sympton of dry skin/chapped lips plagues me).

While accutane helps get rid of acne scars by I think removing the top layer of the facial skin, it is not an end in itself. I want to get rid of the red marks I have leftover from acne, which are primarily on my cheeks. They are a bunch of small, red dots that if I run my finger over I feel a tiny bump but it is nevertheless very small (does this make them scars or red marks? I am leaning towards scars...). Another side question is why do I consistently get red marks after my pimple lessens and goes away? I have only one or two active pimples on my face now, but the red marks cause my face to look like I have a good and current case of acne. So I want to get rid of my red marks. I have done about four hours of research today deciding the best course of action. I am no doctor, and I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what my options are for clearing my red marks while on accutane. I hear that I should wait until my acne is pretty much gone before taking action to clear the marks, but then again before I started taking accutane my acne was fading with the creams I was using. Anyway, right now I am trying to decide between the following options (I don't want surgery at this point): applying lemon slices to my cheeks, using mederma (I'm sure there are better options out there, I just happened to have it lying around at home), I can try the apple cider vinegar mix, vita-k formula found at a site such as http://www.woodridgelab.com/cart.php?m=pro...mp;p=103&c=, vitamin e capsules, intense gel R-ALA found at http://www.puredeming.com/products/intensetreatments.html, bio oil, and lastly cocoa butter.

What do you experts recommend? ;p, and thank you so much for the help.

You really cannot do anything to your skin while you are on accutane, and for 6 months after stopping. At that point, you can look into treating red marks and scars.

You really cannot do anything to your skin while you are on accutane, and for 6 months after stopping. At that point, you can look into treating red marks and scars.

How about if I just take vitamin e and zinc supplements as well as apply aveeno moisturizer with emu oil daily?

How about if I just take vitamin e and zinc supplements as well as apply aveeno moisturizer with emu oil daily?

That's no problem!

But don't expect it to do much for your red marks.

Hey! you sound a lot like me!

I've been on accutane for about a week now. I'm on it to get rid of the acne on my back and chest which is really bad...hope you don't have this problem cause it sucks.

Anyway, I still have red marks on my cheeks and if I didn't have them I'd look like I didn't have much acne at all. I don't think we really can do much until we're done our accutane treatment. I've been using Proactive Skin Lightening lotion on my cheeks since mid-January and I've seen a bit of improvement but not a ton. I've also started to use bio-oil for the red marks left on my chest, but I've only been doing that for about a week so if it does work then I might use it on my face later on if I still have marks there. But until we're done accutane I guess there's not much we can do.

all the best!!